Universal Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition by Beamdog

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'm almost out of the starting area and having a blast so far. Really glad I didn't delete BGEE and rely on the iTunes file transfer feature because that didn't work. Really pleased that they fixed the AOE spell slowdown bug, and looking forward to unlocking my dormant level 9 Kensai abilities in another 20,000 experience points.

Can't imagine playing this on my iPad Mini, by the way. It's almost too small on my full sized ipad.

2. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Can anyone give me performance impressions for the iPad 2?

Thanks in advance.

3. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I really don't know what's the matter with playing it on the iPad Mini Retina. The interface is sharp as a shark tooth, the controls are spot on and it runs super smooth. I remember back when i played BG1EE pre 1.2. Honestly i've never updated it cuz i bought it almost before christmas and i just wanted BG2. This was a whole other dimension compared to this one. Clunky unresponsive controls, non-retina and an awkward overall experience. It was a mess, imo. I didn't care less about one of the greatest rpgs ever, seriously.
    BG2EE is so much better in every aspect, especially the port itself.
    Don't have any problems with playing it on a Mini. Well, the Mini Non-Retina could be another story.

4. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    I wonder if somebody could enlighten me? I just fired over to pocket gamer and they have reviewed the game and given it a 6? Saying it's frustrating to control. Did they have a pre release copy or something? That's a serious snap judgement there. Any help would be appreciated. I'm livid, really looking forward to playing this on my day off tomorrow!

5. truthwritten

truthwritten Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Pocket tactics calls the controls butter smooth. I'm awaiting more info before I dive in.

6. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Can someone please tell me how I select who leads the party? Currently this is the Mage and I want to have her follow the warrior but there's no hint in the help or gameplay vids on how I can do this...

Thanks

Jamie

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #107 Nekku, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    ^quickly double-tap and hold the character portrait and move it to the position you want. Leader is the 1st slot.

For the controls:
    In comparison to the PC version and mouse/keyboard, the touch controls are surely kinda in need to getting used to. But if you take it as a touch-based port, the controls are very well and smooth.
    Dunno how it could be better on a iPad.

8. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Tell me about it. I am one of those strange tastebud people. Dont like shrimp, dont like lobster, cant stand any fruits or vegetables. Its a shame really.

9. Arzy

Arzy Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    so do I start with Shadows of Amn? Finish that and do Throne of Baal?

10. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The controls are a bit fiddley, but they are much better than BGEE, which I still very much enjoyed.

11. F4stOne

F4stOne Member

Jan 5, 2013
    As a PC gamer, I'm ashamed to admit I never played BG. I guess I was too addicted to MMOs to really give single player RPGs a chance. Now here is my question, I am new to gaming on a tablet so I haven't spent much $$ on any game. Is BG2 worth the price for an old school gamer looking for a fix (until ESO launches in April?)

I've tried my hand at the free to play fantasy RPGs like Ultimate Forever, Heroes of Dragons Age, Eternity Warriors 3 and Dungeon Hunters 4 -- but wasn't too impressed with any of them.

Any similar exp or advice is appreciated!

12. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    This and BG:EE is a completely different animal than those games you mention!
    In my opinion, both games is worth the price of admission, and then some.

Just keep in mind, this is old school games, way before modern MMO's, and they follow the rules of the Advanced Dungeon & Dragons 2.5.
    Those rules were not the most intuitive, as any role playing geek will tell you, so I would advice you to go to Beamdog's forums. There's a thread for new players with an entry post that explains everything so it's much, much easier to get into the game for new players.

This is a complex series, with complex battles, deep storylines, a plethora of side quests and it's obvious it's made by fans of the genre for fans of the genre.
    In fact, both games is mentioned as best computer RPG's ever in many lists you'll find in magazines and the internet.

Free to Play games, like the ones you mentioned, is not made by fans of the genre, story and gameplay does not come first in those games, as they need to use every opportunity to get real money out of the player because they've chosen Free to Play instead of Premium.

13. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've played the first one, BG:EE briefly on a Mini, and I must admit, the screen size is borderline small for this.
    It's playable, but only just, IMO..

Maybe it's because I come from playing on a regular iPad, but to me, it's just too small a screen for a game like this.

14. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom

I've been a PC gamer for about 16 years now. Baldurs Gate 2 is a far batter game that any of those you mentioned. It has a ton of depth and a great story. Obviously being a port of a 14 year old game it's not as accessible as newer RPG's, but it more than makes up for it in other areas. I think for the price it's a great buy, especially with the addition of all the expansions. Though you might need longer than til April to see everything the game has to offer :p

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow!! In the US app store under role playing games BG 2 is # 1 and BG 1 is #2!!! Devs must be doing very well for themselves lol congrats.

16. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Think BG1 and BG2 are the best RPG's ever made at that time

17. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I personally would rather have Diablo 1 & 2 than these but BG 1 & 2 are still some of the best from that era of computer gaming and I'm very happy to have them on my tablet.:)

18. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Manuals for the BG Games

If anyone needs/wants manuals etc, I have them in my dropbox. Let me know:)

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Dude I'd love a manual. I'll take BG 1 & 2 with many thanks if you have them both. If that's cool I'll pm you my email

20. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    #120 eugenemcardle, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014