Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Argh doesn't sound so good. I'm always wary of software houses that don't support the further development or optimization of their games.

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I understand what you're saying to a point. But this is s 4 year port of an 18 year old game. Financially they really have no reason up update it to fit new sized screens. With any piece of ios software i only hope they update when an ios update breaks it (cough, cough, capcom and 2k games, cough)

3. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Also, playing a game as complex as this on a phone is, in my opinion, crazy. The buttons and items will be so hard to select I can't see much enjoyment in it. The game itself is a classic and I have in on my iPad Air 2 and it plays perfectly. One of the best games on the store, not designed for phone screens for a reason.

4. horc00

horc00 Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Hi all, just wondering, is there any way to import customized items into the iOS game?

5. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    YMMV - I greatly enjoyed playing it on my old 5S.

6. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Accomplishment

Hello everyone,

I'm chiming in to say that I've just recently conquered Durlag's Tower! :)

I've been having a BLAST with this game, and I am EXTREMELY grateful that it was ported to iPad! Back in 1998, I didn't have a decent enough PC to run this game, nor was I a PC gamer, so I had missed out.

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying this game; it's so HUGE, and SO much to do! This game is well worth the $9.99 price.

7. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Updates for iOS/Android

Anyone know if Beamdog is planning an update for iOS/Android... ever?

8. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015

Baldur's game won't work with next version of ios: is a 32 bit application. I hope Beamdog will update this.

9. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Have no fear!Check the forums,there are links to the twitter posts of it's developers,it is confirmed that it will be updated along with Icewind - dale.

10. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Nobody cares?!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentOster/status/844283830412423170?p=v

HOORAY!!!!!!

11. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
  12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Phew. 64 but update is here

13. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    GREAT NEWS!!!
    Thank you

14. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Great to hear, at last, the world is a better place.

15. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hey guys. So this went on sale just now, and as this is Baldur's Gate (which I've played before) I was hovering over the buy button, but went to read the review on toucharcade which did the game no favors. It listed loads of things that were eyebrow raising, and I'm wondering if those issues were addressed or not. I'd rather not read through 100 pages to find out, so I'm hoping someone here can bring me up to speed.

Are there any issues left worth being annoyed about?

One of the big issues in the review was the constant scrolling of the screen with sliding the finger, as there would be no auto center for the characters, and another huge annoyance mentioned was the lack of on the fly pausing, and you having to rely pre-set settings on when to pause (on combat start, on monster death, etc), which removes a lot of the tactical play, as if you have spell casters (and why wouldn't you), you'll be casting spells constantly, making it a right pain not to have pause.

So I'd love to know if those issues were addressed, and if the game is worthwhile now. Not the quality of the story and setting, just the gameplay itself when considering the port and platform.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So picked it up on the recent sale and can’t say how disappointed I am.

Doesn’t run properly on the Max, and they’ve never made accommodations for the x style navigation bar at the bottom. Absolutely frustrating that this is an issue a year after the X was made. It’s bonkers.

But even without that it’s completely unplayable in the current state, and for that I’m insanely sad.

Attached Files:

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m sad I saw a new post on the Baldur’s gate thread and hoped it was good news about an update .. and it wasn’t

If youve got an iPhone X or later always look at an apps histoey to see if there’s been an update for the screen size

18. andsoitgoes

I have the Max so it’s a bit weird. A lot of games updated for the X aren’t working the same on the Max. I assume this is because the device is basically “new” and is reporting a different screen size. That said, I’ve heard people having these same issues on the XS as well, so maybe they’re only looking at the identification of an X and disregarding it otherwise. It’s kinda weird really.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You made it sound like it’s unplayable, when in fact it is totally still playable. The screen image is just not optimised is all. That bar down the bottom is the least of the optimising concerns imo. If that bar weren’t visible, we’d still have the image unoptimized anyway.
    Imo it’s just scaled down a bit like it’s windowed. But it’s still totally playable. All that we have here is an unoptimized app. Well half the games on the AppStore are still unoptimized. Nothing to do with “doesn’t run properly” imo, it’s just not optimised.

Yes I’d love to see an optimisation, but the game is still playable and great as is.

20. andsoitgoes

You must have SIGNIFICANTLY better eyesight than me, because once you get into that menu it's completely and totally unreadable.

I don't know if you have a Max and have tried it, but it looks significantly worse than the picture, and I JUST got new glasses so I know that's not it. Just trying again, the text on the boxes is not just small but it's.... different. Just a few minutes trying to get through the main menus was headache inducing, trying to tap on the boxes inside that area are impossible, the font is unreadable. I can't even create characters it's so small.

I can deal with the bar, it's annoying.

I can't deal with not being able to read basic text, and having the hit boxes on the main tutorial screen being very difficult to hit in a game that's already a bit of a challenge to play on a small device.

21. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You know you can enlarge text in settings?

I’ve had this game on a 6+ and now a Max and I can say there’s been no change except that it’s slightly windowed on the Max, so the screen is ever so slightly smaller, but not by much at all. Just enlarge text in options.