Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Repelstale

Repelstale Member

Jun 2, 2014
    #961 Repelstale, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Spell info/ quick spell slots

Hi there,

I'm a total newbie to this game. I've finished the tutorial and right now I'm wandering through Candlekeep. Just finished the in-game tutorial, where some wizard conjures up some illusionary enemies to practice "mass battles" with a temporary team.

I think I'm getting the hang of it.

What I don't get a hang of is how the spell info does NOT work on the memorized spells on the bottom action bar. Now matter how long I press before releasing, no spell info shows up. It works in the spellbook (be sure to do it on the spells in the actual book, not the memorized spells, otherwise you might accidentally delete those), but I don't like to have to go there mid-battle. Also press&hold on a Quick Spell slot to switch the selected spell doesn't work: if you select a spell that affects the caster (like Armor) it will be activated immediately, no matter how long you hold before releasing.

Dysfunctional Quick Spell slots are no gamebreaker, obviously, although it's annoying that this still doesn't work two years after the game's iOS release. However, missing spell info on the action bar is really annoying.

I've contacted Stephen from the helpdesk, and while he's been very polite and willing to help, a solution doesn't seem to exist.

Hasn't anyone else had these same problems? Is it just me doing something wrong?

2. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Let me try out your issues on my end and reply back later..

3. Repelstale

Repelstale Member

Jun 2, 2014
    So, Savant, what's your idea on this?

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So I played this back in the day on the pc and loved it. Is it worth it here on iOS? I never did play BG2 though fir some reason, what's the difference between playing this first and importing my character or starting BG2 new? And what kind of things should I save up

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I have both BG 1 and 2 Enhanced Editions on my Mac and they are good games but I hear there are lots of technical issues with the iPad version of the this one. I've not purchased it because of all the complaints.

Despite the game being good you may want to view ratings/reviews on your regions App Store. My Canadian store has lots of negative reviews and looks like technical issues are never addressed by the developer such as the sidebar menu disappearing.

6. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I'm tempted to buy this to play on my iPhone 6. I'm concerned about the technical issues of playing on a still comparatively small device. While I can deal with the issue of hidden sidebars (thank you, accessibility menu!), would playing the game on a small screen just be too uninvolving? I worry that the story will fall flat with sprites the size of ants. Any thoughts?

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would say buy it. I remember buying this in the late 90's, LOVED it. Now i have an iphone 6 i think its playable, was too tricky on my iphone 4s before.

Yeah some of the icons are tiny and at times in the tutorial i found it a bit of a pain. But theres so much content there i love playing it here and there. Worth picking up, hopefully there'll be more updates to it as theres the bug of the sidebars etc

8. Shirika

Shirika Well-Known Member

This should be played on a iPad for best experience

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree but if you've just got a new iphone with you its great to have this classic with you. Still very playable with the screen zoomed in and the font made larger.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've a close pal (Siniom, forum lurker) with whom I play quite a lot of co-op. Baldur's Gate on iOS has become our primary activity and nearly replaced all other co-op titles (including desktop titles) for us.

iOS users are slowly growing used to having massive gaming experiences in their pockets, but to have a 100+ hour long, highly varied and open, story-intensive, immersive RPG of legendary stature, one that runs smoothly online even on 1 mbit 3G connections, with you wherever you go? That's a whole new level of co-op fun.

We play on an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 6, and the finicky interface is nowhere near enough to ruin the fun. So far, the only real threat is the persistent connection bug that will crash the client nine out of ten connections attempts. A fix has been promised many months back, but the update is still pending.

11. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Please help. I got far enough into the game being careful not to minimize the side bars and well, justa while ago I accidentally minimized the right one. All my saves, quick and auto included, have them minimized. I can't bring them back up no matter how much I tap. Any ideas? I'm on an iPhone 6 btw

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Turn on zoom in the Acessibility settings, and focus the zoom window on the lower right hand corner. That should (reportedly) allow you to tap to bring up the bar again.

13. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    cool thanks. i'll try that out

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    theres an update now claiming to fix that side bar issue.
    Finally! Although I had ways around it so not really a big deal for me.

Good to see the devs are developing.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #975 Ayjona, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    And with that multiuplayer fix, Baldur's Gate just became my primary co-op title (for any platform). The ability to play one of the greater gaming adventures ever created on the go together with friends is an hitherto unmatched experience.

For those of you worried about data consumption and lag, me and a pal played a session over my 1 mbit/s 3G (uncapped legacy contract, which is why I haven't upgraded to 4G and greater speeds), shared from my phone to his via personal hotspot. That's 128 kilobytes per second, divided by two devices.

Response times across devices over this ancient, extremely limited connection were less than a second, often near-instantaneous (very acceptable for a tactical realtime game like BG), and there was not a single instance of hickup or noticeable lag!

I must also say that while not handled very elegantly UI-wise, the character and save game export functionality via the Share extension added in this update are brilliant. I hope they become a standard in games that eschew iCloud (or even in addition to). Backing up my character or save game to Google Drive, or sending my hero on to Baldur's Gate II, with just a few taps is one of those touches that blur the last lines between desktop computers and portable devices.

16. nunuvyurbiz

nunuvyurbiz Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Other party members

BG is pretty hard core. After poking around about what type of character to have as your main character, it seems it doesn't matter - it's just a different experience. There is no "right" answer. But one thing I haven't been able to find is whether it matters if other party members dies. For example, suppose you encounter a tough group - and suppose your man character survives, but one or more of the other party members gets killed. Does it matter? Should you just keep going and pick up more later? Or should you redo the encounter over and over hoping for different results? I don't want to just keep going if it's going to seriously hinder me (like, if it may be a while before I can find others to join).

17. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    It doesn't matter when they die. You can take their corpse to a priest in a temple and then pay gold to resurrect them.

I'm currently stuck in Baldur's Gate (the city). I finished the dirty work there (no spoilers) and now my journal says "go talk to Duke Eltan". I never met that guy before so I don't know where's he located... I searched google for Duke Eltan but all I found is a strange quest that hasn't even started. What to do now?

18. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    iPhone 6 Plus and Baldur's Gate

Does anyone play Baldur's Gate on an iPhone 6 Plus? On the App Store page it says that the game isn't optimised for the higher resolution of the iPhone 6 Plus, so how does the game look on those devices? Many games appear blurry and just wrong when not optimised so I'm curious about BG.

Any feedback is welcome!

19. wreckratz

wreckratz New Member

May 2, 2013
    Hey I've run into what might be a bug, what might not, running on the iPad.

I'm in Chapter 5 and I can't seem to return to the city of Baldur's Gate. The drawbridge is no longer crossable. I've been in the city before and had no issues. Did I miss something quest wise that I need to go back for or is this a bug?

20. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    It's letterboxed (black bars on left/right) but playable.

[​IMG]