Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Nikademus

Nikademus Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks for this Ayjona.

Sorry for the follow on question - do you have to do this through iFunBox on the laptop you sync too? I've tried using apps on the phone / iPad but can't seem to find any files at all.....

2. meyer

meyer Active Member

Oct 11, 2014
    I think you need a jailbroken devuce for such.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No worries! Yep, it has to be done on a computer. You need not be synced to it, though. Just connect the iDevice via cable, and access it through the software. (And no jailbreak is required, meyer. iFunBox and similar software can access the top levels of the file system on any iPhone or iPad.)

Here's to the hope iOS game designers get into the habit of using the new iCloud Drive APIs for real convenience in save game handling.

4. Nikademus

Nikademus Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks Ayjona - your an absolute star. I'll have a play as soon as I can, to see if even a technophobe like me, can do it! ;-)

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is the one badly ported game that is worth the effort, phobias notwithstanding! ;)

You new to the franchise? Oh, to play the first minutes of BG1 for the very first time again...

6. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    And try importing a customized portrait for your character, especially if you find the existing portraits lacking... it's very much worth it! (or I'm just too much into this role-playing stuff, LOL). ;)

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    In spite of the glitchy port, this is the only role playing game that I've ever completed, then dove straight back in for another go with a different class. So much to do, I wish it weren't so familiar in my mind right now so I could play it again right now. Maybe in a few years, I'll have Alzheimer's and it will all be new again.

By the way, single class Bounty Hunter for the win! Those maze traps combined with the "Use Any Item" skill make for one overpowered beast of a character at high levels.

8. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Does anyone else not like that button that shows all treasures, even hidden ones in trees and behind rocks? It feels kinda cheap, finding all those stuff you didn't search for. During the first minutes of the game I "found" a diamond hidden in a tree and a magical ring which, that early, are great treasures and which I was not supposed to find under normal circumstances.

Also I noticed that they reactivated that Wizard ring which is "hidden" at the friendly Arm Inn. I believe back then it was taken out of the game for a reason. Well, that discovery was the moment when I stopped playing and as of now I'm not sure if I did spend my money wisely.

I also noticed that the Candle Keep merchant now has too many items and the place where you are attacked contains more items than usual, too. Even a magical belt. Is this version of Baldur's Gate an easy mode game?

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    The game is far from easy. That button was there on the PC version too (press TAB key). Those few bits give you a minor leg up, but you will get punished in combat regardless.

10. Power Gamer

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm giving it another try. Though I still have doubts after seeing the first outdoor assassin fall when he had lost just 4 hit points.

Another thing I noticed is that spell voice acting's volume (healing spell, "Vita Mortex whatever") is very low compared to other sound effects ("Sound Effects Volume" slider). I can't adjust it to general voice's volume level, for then other sound effects, foot steps and such, are way too loud. Do the devs read this thread? I hope they fix it.

11. Power Gamer

Apr 30, 2013
    Okay, regarding the difficulty, maybe I was wrong. I had some challenging encounters so far, and maybe the difficulty I had been used to was not the one from the original game but from a popular fixpack patch (that was supposed to FIX things, but not make them harder... well, not sure).

But now I wonder if there is a way to show travelling times before you travel. That's a feature I really miss because sometimes it influenced my travelling decisions.

12. StepwisePilot

StepwisePilot Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Canada
    Just wondering, but have the various crashing bugs been fixed?

13. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Is this backwards compatible with pc version? Or is there a way I can modify the save file and beef up my characters and other fun stuff like that?

14. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    * During the early areas, the first enemies / assassins you encounter will definitely die easily to a well-formed and well-armed party just because they are also lower leveled and hence have low hitpoints. It gets harder, particularly when you also face parties such as yourself.
    * You'll probably have better luck creating a post on the official Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition forum than here. They are also more active there, than here since this also has releases on Steam (PC) and other platforms.

15. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    No crashing issues for me since the latest update, it's also been one of the best builds of Baldur's Gate so far!

16. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Same here, not one crash. Only problem i have is when I accidentally minimize the left and right side bars, i have no way of getting them back unless I reload. I'm on a 6 btw

17. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #957 Edmilan, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Having problems with completing the game. The pixelated graphics are slowly sinking in, and to my eyes, don't look good anymore taking out the motivation to play. I know it's kinda shallow but well...I hope they port over Neverwinter Nights.

18. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I bought this like a year ago. I should probably play it sometime. I never have =/

19. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    How do you import a character portrait? The custom button doesn't appear when creating a new character

20. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    #960 somedumbgamer, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    This is one of the few RPGs I actually completed. Probably cause I wanted to build up my Kensai and import into the sequal. Oh, and it was also friggin sweet...brought me back to the old pen and paper days of playing AD&D. Gameplay is great and graphics are good enough. I'll probably buy everything beam-dog churns out