Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I still can't believe it... maybe because most websites like IGN, Pocket Gamer, 4 Players and a bunch of others already tore the iPad version apart, because of the clunky, unresponsive, small controls and the overall unsatisfying port. And if it is already a mess on the iPad, what can I expect from an iPhone?

Does somebody have a video running BG:EE on iPhone, maybe?

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    My feeling is that if you're concerned it's going to be a problem, it probably will be. I think it's playable enough if you have a mind to it, and the game is still really good. But there's no question this interface needs a *lot* of work. Even beyond the really bad stuff like not being able to pull the status bar back if you hide it, the game relies a lot on being able to distinguish small, nearly monochromatic icons.

So yeah, if you're worried, I guess my recommendation would be to not bother. If you're really feeling like you're going to put up with whatever to enjoy the Baldur's Gate goodness within, you'll probably be able to manage it.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good point ! I have quite 'thin' fingers as well whereas my friend who has huge rugby style hands/fingers wouldnt ever be able to play it.

As a huge Baldurs Gate fan its more playable than i thought but like i say i only played for 5-10 minutes, it wasnt like i was in the middle of a mission etc. But again with the universal version appearing i think its more geared up for the latest iphone 6 range

4. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Am I ever glad I read the last few pages, think I'll hold off on this one until next month when I get my new phone (6 or plus, 6 or plus, 6 or plus...???) and have it as a "treat" for the new device.

5. thecmancan

thecmancan Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Telecommunications
    NYC
    This is a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I think the hard work could've been put into a better UI.

Although, the code may be so ancient at this point to manipulate effectively.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #926 Vovin, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks for your advices, guys!
    Yeah, I loved (like in: "totally fallen in love") Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 in the good old PC gaming days, but since I have no iPad, I skipped it until now, of course. With the iPhone version appearing, I thought I could maybe give it a try, yet I am hesitating because of all the negative points. Not to mention that I have...well, let's say: "Double-D"-sized hands... ;)
    Maybe it would be best for me to wait for a sale (even if I normally don't do that) and try it out then. I am sure there's a sale in near future, with iPhone 6 and 6+ and the new iPad coming up, or maybe X-mas.

Still thanks for your honest opinions, I really appreciate them.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I doubt many of us would mind seeing the game delayed a few months for an iPhone-centric UI (especially considering we didn't know about the iPhone port until recently :) ).

Beamdog/Overhaul plugged quite deeply into the code to create the initial Enhanced Edition (even to the point of rewriting the class system to use the additions from BG2, and adding quests and characters to the actual gaming world), and have polished the UI in post-release patches. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing that would prevent them from tweaking the interface to suit a particular platform.

Barring that, even something as simple as allowing us to manually increasse the UI elements would make the game more pleasant to play, even at the cost of obscuring the in-game world.

8. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Having never played the game before but wanting to, I jumped when it got universal support. The user interface IS rather small, but once you figure out what's what you can navigate around alright on it, plus you can also increase the font size to help some, and slide up/down within text boxes and item lists instead of having to keep tapping the up/down arrows. The biggest drawback for me is that when you minimize the sidebars you can't pull them back up, and you WILL need them to play this game. I'm assuming this is a glitch/bug and hope they can fix it soon. Until then I guess I'll play it on my PC.

9. dylanfan007

dylanfan007 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I'm was surprised as to why the game suddenly went universal and now supports all iPhones so I took a plunge.

Man is this a money grab,Controls suck heavily on 5s inspite of being part of the supported devices.A few simple hi adjustments like Kotor could have easily done the trick but I guess the devs don't really give a crap.That would also explain the shit framerate whenever someone casts a spell,This what a 90's pc game which requires a '4mb' graphics card and could still run through software emulation in it's heyday!! And it fu%*^g lags all the time on a 5s where it should be running at some 1000fps.

The devs don't really care about his game clearly and have never fixed even the most basic things for almost '3 years'.This is why ios gaming will always suck because nobody gives a you know what and people still buy it,in droves.

Anyone considering buying it should immediately drop the idea of even touching it with a 50foot poll.The game been updated a massive '5 times' in 3 years,Not much of a reason to expect anything better from these incompetent developers now.

Waste of money....Arrgh straight to refund now.:mad:

10. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    So I bought this knowing it has some flaws but the side tab closes automatically when you close the app. So I guess I can't just work around it ? Has anyone heard if there's going to be a patch for this ? Otherwise I guess I just pissed 10 bucks in to the wind :/

11. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Thought a dev may have at least came on this forum and let us know about possible fixes for iphone

12. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    They have said on the official BG forum, located under Home › Support (Spoiler Warning!) › BG:EE Bugs (v1.3) that this issue has been brought up to them and they will be making the tabs larger. Until then there is a workaround. Go to your device's settings and under General>Accessibility, turn on Zoom. While playing BG:EE, double tap the screen with 3 fingers to enable zoom, then drag with 3 fingers to the corner, tap the tab to bring it back up then double tap with 3 fingers again to zoom back out. It's not the most practical way but it allows you to bring the side toolbars back until this is fixed.

13. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    #933 luckystrikeguy, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Hey thanks I'll try it out.

Annnnd it works. I know this is probably the worst way to play this game but I don't have any other means at the moment

14. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Glad it helped! It's a bit of a pain, but it works. I've also found that I can increase the font size in the game's options and when I'm on a text or item menu I can slide up and down within that list instead of having to try and tap the tiny up/down arrows on the side, so it's not too terrible. Takes a little getting used to but all in all I'm happy to be able to play it on my iPod.

15. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Really try playing this on an iPad people... A game with a classic UI this complex has no place on the small iPhones... on the new iPhone 6 and 6+ maybe... but not on the prev. ones.

Just would like to say that, after trying out the prev. iterations since this game was released - this is the BEST that this game has been ever since release. The UI improvements and features have finally made this game very playable and sometimes even more accessible than the original PC versions (quick loot, highlight context, etc.). Thanks a lot to the devs, I am now enjoying every bit that Baldur's Gate (and next, BG2 and IWD) has to offer on my iPad mini! More power and more games to come!

16. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    What's this look like on the 6+ ?

17. I had this game on my iPad, is it worth trying out again on my iPhone 6? it seemed small and hard to play on iPad mini.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Anyone given this a go on iphone 6+ and iphone 6 as above? Interested to get into it but don't want to drop that cash if it's not playable on the smaller-than-ipad-but-now-a-good-size-iPhones.

19. Nikademus

Nikademus Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Does anyone know how to transfer character saves or exports from the iPad to iPhone and vica versa?

I agree with most of the sentiments here - looks pretty hard to play on anything but (possibly - but not having one, I wouldn't know) the iPhone 6+ but think this would be great for getting some xp during breaks!

I read somewhere you should be able to use an iExplorer type file manager - but literally tried about 10 of them, and none work.....

Although this game has cloud saves - it's doesn't seem you can access them on another device, even with the same iTunes login.

I'm not much of a techy - so maybe I'm missing something?

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Pain to play on nearly any iOS device, but thanks to the quality of the original, worth it even on the smallest of supported iPhones :)

(And I will say this: online co-op works wonderful, once you get past the connection crashing bug. A friend of mine and I play over my small but unlimited 1 mpbs connection, hotspotted to his iDevice, and there is almost NO discernible network lag. Small favours, and all that.)

Access your iPhone or iPad through iFunBox(/iMazing/iExplorer, all three are software that allows access to top layers of the iPhone file system without a jailbreak), navigate to Apps/Baldur's Gate/Library/, and copy the contents of:

* mpsave, for saves from multiplayer games.
    * save, for single player save games.
    * bpsave, for saves from the Black Pits arena campaign.
    * characters, for the raw character files (also containted in the save games).

In the three save folders, each subfolder (with names like "00000017-Companions of the Broken Lands") represents one save game, so copy the whole folder. (You really only need the "BALDUR.SAV" file in each, but copying the whole folder preserves other features like save game picture previews and time stamps, and prevents further complications once you move the save folder to a new device.)

These folders and characters can also be moved to the identically named folders for the PC version (located in User Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/), for cross-plattform save game compatibility.