Universal BADLAND - (by Frogmind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Achievement bug: I had a flight earlier today and naturally I played some Badland on the plane with no internet connection and got the achievement for completing 30 missions. But now at the hotel, with wifi, the achievement doesn't appear on Game Center. I completed another mission but that didn't help either. I hope the devs can add a re-sync achievements button in the settings menu.

2. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Oh, just an observation - this is a phenomenal game just as it is, regardless of whatever DLC/IAPs do or do not get added. While I certainly don't want to tell the devs "Nah, sit back, take it easy, you did good" if they're happy to keep working on the game, the levels we've got here are still amazing and worth at least twice the price, IMO. Awesome as it is I don't think every iOS game - every game, period - needs to turn into Angry Birds. :rolleyes: I know with every kind of media, book, film, game, whatever, if you're enjoying it you don't want it to end, but sometimes I think you have to know when to stop and let things go. Extra levels could well be great, but please, no pushing it to the point we're getting Valentines/St. Patrick's/Christmas Badland, etc. :p

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I want Christmas/valentines, st Patrick's day badlands that would be awesome. :D

4. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Heh - I stand by my point, I don't want the game spread too thin over five hundred levels or whatever... but I admit that when I'd made that post I instantly thought "Hmmm, you know, if they tied them into the art style well enough then themed levels could be pretty neat". :D

(I was also going to mention Easter, but then I thought there's a ton of weird egg shapes and mutant rabbit-things in the backgrounds already!)

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I would have paid $6.99 for this.

6. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I have no idea how to review a game like this. It feels like writing lots of words about it would not explain a thing. It's really fun, and also really special. Difficulty for simply finishing the game felt just right to me. Some sections were hard, but you can always try again from a few seconds before you died, so it's never too frustrating. I don't think I'll even get half of the missions, but that's okay.

7. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I certainly don't think it's flawless. I'm pretty much convinced most of the missions for Night/Day 1 are only attainable through waaay too much blind luck. For all the "Do this in one try" missions, there are far too many little things that can happen with the physics without warning and kill you instantly, giving you no chance to react.

That being said, the devs have plainly put a huge amount of effort into making a hard game that a great many people can play if they're willing to persevere. I'm nearly done with Night/Day 1 and throughout the game there've only been a few places I felt the checkpoints were slightly poorly placed, and even then it wasn't that long until the next one.

8. Jake-gumbleton

Jake-gumbleton Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Freelance concept artist
    Uk
    Fabulous

Congratulations guys this's is an amazing piece of work. You can feel the love and effort you put into it. I was a bit dubious about the price point but its brilliant value once you see the true scope if the game. There are so many great innovative moments in here and it looks beautiful at every moment. Well done!

9. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Love this game so much! I'm now trying I complete all the missions, and my only gripe is that some of the seem literally impossible to get!!!!

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    2013 has been amazing so far, with many great releases, including Worm Run, Ridiculous Fishing, Ms Splosion Man, Indiana Stone, Le Vamp, NightSky, Time Surfer and Cling! to name the ones I like more, thay are all amazing, but BADLAND outshines all of them, and thats saying something... TouchArcadians, dont miss this one, whatever the price.

11. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Ha, I know how you feel. I've lost count of how many times I have tried to complete some of the missions and they just don't seem possible, but dammit, I'm going to keep trying!

12. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    This is my favourite hard game. With most difficult games I get frustrated & stuck and it quickly becomes no fun - I play lots of things on casual/easy/normal mode - but despite being stuck at the very beginning of Day, I'm still glad I bought it.

Having the missions is great, and they're very kind with checkpoints - though it seems that they reset after you exit the game. Being able to pick up where I left off when reopening the game would be great, but really, I've never had fun with a particularly hard/difficult/tricky game until this.

I think it helps that I'm controlling an adorable fluffy thing with itty bitty wings. Reminds me of Tiny Wings, in that I 'root' for the creature's success. ;)

13. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    If you're still on the Dawn levels you won't have seen it, I don't think, but it cracked me up when I noticed (just a tiny, tiny spoiler, but what the hell)
    a little detail about the cannons that fire the sticky burrs that weight the clones down. Their eyes go all >_< until they shake the burrs off.
    It's amazing how much emotion the devs have managed to convey with what is such a simple shape, at least on paper. Every time I get hit with the Heavy powerup along with the Size Up, there's something about the way the animation and the jump arc changes to suggest how fat and unwieldy the creature's just become that instantly suggests "Ack! Gasp! Help! No, I can do it... grrr! I can do it!" to me. Never gets old. :)

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Same here. The missions are so damn hard. But I must say, this is the first IOS game that I actually finished. For me, that says something about the addicting nature and fun of Badland.

I'm seriously can't wait for the Day 2 update. (Would it be free or paid?) Does anyone know if there'll be a Day 3 or 4?

Also, any tips for the missions? That's my only complaint: some of the missions seem purely based on luck. Especially the "Save X clones" missions.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't have any level-specific tips, but a couple I play by would be:

• Use the scenery to move your clone swarm into the shape you want, bunch them up into a ball by running into walls, force them into a line by moving up against the ceiling, etc.

• When there's no immediate danger ahead, always be controlling the clone at the back of the pack, he's the one you need to save. It'll switch around, but if you're keeping the guy in last place up to speed, you're keeping the others up to speed automatically.

16. Bronxsta

#156 Bronxsta, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks. I hadn't even thought about shaping my swarm like that.

Maybe elemental puzzles might be too much. Same with gravity. But I think magnetism, teleportation, and time manipulating could work really well

By magnetism, I mean having certain items be attracted to you. So you might have to manipulate an object through a maze to an opening, etc. Or drag a mine through a area to a spot where you have to detonate

Teleporting could have you phase forward a certain distance or swap places with an specific object. This could work together with magnetism.

My idea for rewinding time wouldn't rewind your actions, instead affecting the environment while you continue moving forward. Like rebuilding ruined environments or reopening traps or obstacles. That could be cool. One scenario I see would be having a cave-in in front of you, you get a rewind power-up, the cave "reverts" back, then begins collapsing again as you move through

17. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Just got my guy through the last stage, this game was amazing. I'm not even going to attempt the missions, it was hectic enough just passing the stages and I'm satisfied. If there's anyone on the fence, confused or just not sure about this game, just get it and play it.

At first glance I thought this was just a quirky endless runner type game, but I was dead wrong. It's a physics puzzler, get to the end of the level type game. I HATE all endless runners like temple run and canabalt, and I only moderately enjoy puzzle games. So telling you that I LOVED this game should mean something.

One may hear that it's difficult, and that turns some people off but I'll tell u why it shouldn't. Each stage presents a series of challenges or puzzles to overcome, fail and u die. But there are checkpoints after almost every small part of every level! No frustration of being sent back to the beginning only to get stuck on a part u already beat and ragequit. Die and try again at the same part over and over till u beat it.

I was gasping, wide eyed, jumping, yelling, smiling, cackling through this whole game. Get it and enjoy, don't be on the fence any longer. That's all I gotta say, Seacrest out!

18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Just for fun I compiled phrases reviewers used to refer to the main character in Badland:

"cuddly yet mildly sinister creature" - 148apps

"afro with wings" - Pocketgamer

"little black fuzzy creature" Apple 'n' Apps

"bat-hedgehog hybrid" - Slide to Play

"flying Furb[y]" - AppSpy

"furry little hedgehog/popple creature" - Destructoid

"schattige, zwarte euhm... dingetjes" -Gamer.nl
    (Google translate says: adorable, black um ... things)

19. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    That is fantastic. I believe it was deemed "a flea with wings" in TA plays. I'm a bit grumpy at the game right now because I've been stuck on the same day game for a while - the second one with the chains, I know what I need to do, but have to get my timing right - but I still like it. Probably because for the reasons quoted above. ;)

20. Bronxsta

6/10 from Edge.
    Hate when game I enjoy get mediocre scores