Universal BADLAND - (by Frogmind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Completed it. Really could not put it down. Stunning and exhilarating game, I can't believe it was written in Cocos2D :eek:

2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Check out how in the level Mines! the first few orange expanders let you blow up mines #2 and #3 without getting pushed around too much. Later on, if you're going for the 'clear all mines' star you have to use that effect in a more subtle fashion.

This is very strong level design: introduce the concept in the game then let the player pursue it further.

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I played last night multiplayer with my 3 nephews - a 4 player local game and it is was brilliant! Would definitely love to be able to play this online. I understand that with players bumping into one another this could be impossible to implement however it might be worth mentioning doing what "Gravity Guy" did - on local multiplayer you do bump into one another, on online you pass through one another as if each is a ghost. It's not as good for sure, it's a compromise, but better than nothing and would still be tremendous amounts of fun.

4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Glowing review on STP
    They gave it 4 out of 4.
    If you get pushed of the screen you die because that's how videogames work :cool: *shakes fist at Castlevania*

Also number nine best selling iphone game. Only non-99-center in top 10 besides Minecraft! Not too shabby.

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Wow. I just played the first 7 levels and all I can say is I'm totally impressed. This is a must have.

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    The best is yet to come! I've played through the first 24 levels so far and this just gets better and better! A true gem! Be sure to also try the multiplayer which is ridiculous fun, if only it was online... (I do think its possible as I said in a previous post- if they did it in a similar manner implemented in "Gravity Guy" where when online, players don't collide but go through one another as ghosts. Fingers crossed...)

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Love this game, suggestions for Day 2

So I've played through all of Day 1 and now focusing on challenges

This is what I'd like to see in Day 2 and beyond:
    - More levels involving machinery and moving parts like the last few levels of Night

- More puzzles involving mixing regular and cubed "fuzzies" like in the last level

- More puzzles where you push and manipulate objects. I only remember a few like where you had to roll the portal into place or rotate gears

- New mechanics and power-ups. Maybe teleporting, altering gravity, rewinding time, magnetism, manipulating elements (fire, wind, ice)

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I think a rewind could work here. Has any kind of endless runner ever tried to borrow from (or even improve on) Braid's ideas? They've already got stickiness, but with the clanking metal feel to so much of the level design maybe magnetism would fit in too? Teleporting and gravity might be okay, but I'd say you wouldn't want to screw with the whole concept of forward momentum too much - switching you around and messing with your perception might not be so much fun, and it's already kind of jarring, IMO, when the heavyweight powerups kick in. Elemental puzzles I'm not really keen on seeing - I'd say they potentially come off as a little too predictable.

With the sheer amount of ideas the devs have already thrown in, though, and how well they all work, I'd happily pay for more levels to see anything else they come up with. (But I still haven't finished the game right at the moment! Let alone seriously tried the missions.)

9. decabao

decabao Member

Dec 15, 2012
    After I finished the main game and like half of the missions, I'm so desperate I'm playing multiplayer just by myself - two colors at once. That's quite a challenge and makes also much fun, in a really sad way
    I should probably make some more friends

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Don't feel bad - I've been doing this myself.

11. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #131 SumoSplash, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    I see much room for expansion in terms of additional mechanics and power ups. I personally would like to see more Mario-esque tube teleporting, similar to how each level ends and then brings you to the start of a new level. You can also never have enough pushing and shifting around of objects.

12. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I love the variation in levels. Some require precise planning just to make it through. Others, like revolver (level 2-4, I think) are an absolute mad dash.
    I have faith that day 2 will be a great addition to an already amazing game.

What I'd really like to see would be a platformer with this kind of art direction and attention to detail. Before seeing previews (just stills) that's what I had thought this would be. I'm not disappointed at all with what we got, just looking forward to more great games in the future.

Hope this gets the success and attention it deserves.

13. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Wow. Just, wow. I've mentioned this before in my endless bantering--I like to take games like this slow. I will play a level here, a level there. I know there is an end to this utterly fantastic adventure and I want to make it last forever. Like a dream of being with the most beautiful girl in the world, I simply never want to wake up.

That being said, I am just now creeping into Dusk. Time shifting, specifically time slowing, has to be one of my favorite mechanics. Not only is the slowing done perfectly, from the motion to the sound to the physics to the overall feel, it enables you to really check out the scenery. On top of this, the juxtaposition of becoming large, being shot by cannons and then having the cannons bounce off compared to becoming small, being shot by the cannons and being squashed and forced all around and helplessly into the blades WHILE TIME IS SLOW is without a doubt the richest experience I have had yet playing any video game in my life.

Make no mistake: Badland is a defining moment for iOS gaming and gaming in general.

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Stoked on this :)

15. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    How's 2 players on iPhone 5?

Can we play at the same time or is that just for iPad?

16. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Up to four players on iPhone 5.

Multiplayer retains the replay feature, so one person two player mode (heh I've done this too) should be solid material for highlight videos.

17. LukeP

LukeP Member

Jan 9, 2013
    looks awesome, but a tad expensive

18. Jet_Black

Jet_Black Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    What? £2.49/$3.99. Really!? Better get saving up then...

19. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    It's more than I typically pay for one app as well, but I gave in after so many great impressions & TA's playthrough of it on the main page. I'd suggest reading/watching some of that before deciding, it'll give you a really good feel for the gameplay.

This was definitely worth the $4 for me. :)

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #140 oooooomonkey, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    Wow if you think this is expensive whatever you do, don't leave your house! It's expensive out there :p
    Seriously though its £2.49 :confused: I couldn't even buy a physical copy of a magazine for that price never mind a quality video game.

About the game though I can't believe how good it is, the graphics and physics are spot on, and the sound effects together with the slo-mo bits are fantastic. All this controlled by one press :confused:
    This is truly one of those brilliant iOS games.