Universal BADLAND - (by Frogmind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. demarchy

demarchy Member

Mar 28, 2013
    If this game had online multiplayer it would be a dream come true, make it happen devs, please.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Having a bit of fun with this, artwork is lovely. The game is different but does remind me of Mush in many respects, most likely the character states being a puzzle element and the whole silhouette and movement feel. Great game.

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Works well on a 3rd Gen iPod Touch too. Would be curious to know the results of someone going a gen lower with this.

Amazing how "hardware limitations" seem to expand, proportionately with a developer's degree of technical skill and knowledge.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Badland has my vote for Game of the Week! So much fun

5. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    The atmosphere is very immersive, and I would love to see a bit of story to go with it as well. But even without that, awesome game! The controls are fun (even just flying the creature is fun), and really good job combining puzzle mechanics with the fluidity of a runner type of game

6. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    One of the *many* reasons this game is so awesome is that you should never need whole walkthroughs. Maybe a tip here and there could help, but because of the checkpoints everyone should be able to figure most of it out without too much trouble. By the way, I have completed the game, now it's time to try the missions.

7. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I disagree. There's no real need to tack on a story. My biggest knock on the otherwise fun Ridiculous Fishing is the eye rolling "redemption" story. It's dumb and not needed. If there was to be a 'story' on Badland at least not make it some touchy feely emotional garbage like that. This isn't Limbo (which is a good thing).

I think Badland is a great game as is.

8. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Yeah and part of why I like the game is everywhere you look it's like, what the hell is this thing, it's like some furry ball of fungi with wings.

And there's a rabbit hung by its feet.

And what the hell is that.

And that.

What the shit is this thing.

What th--

You get the picture. I like the untold look of the game. Story would be stupid.

9. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    This is actually one of the most useful, thought-provoking posts I've read on TA in a bit... and no, I'm not sh!tting on you.;)

I'm normally a pretty knee-jerk, "more story = better game" guy, but you've actually changed my opinion on this one.

Your description of how the lack of story may in fact in this case be more appropriate and as a result potentially more satisfying is pretty convincingly stated.

Cheers, and thanks for sharing.

DBC

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    A very original and enjoyable game so far, I'm close to half point and I love that it constantly throws new surprises at me. Beautiful graphics, music and physics. Very happy to see it up high in the charts, a well deserved spot. I also hope it can maintain sale momentum. Finally, I'll cross my fingers that they take the Angry Birds model and Day 2 will be free :)

11. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I guess you're right, the game kind of does feel like it is a story anyway. And definitely better to have no story than a tacked on story.

But dammit rabbits, why are you staring at me? :D

12. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Yup, haven't finished it but still absolutely loving this. Staggeringly tough - easily one of the hardest games I've played in ages, one life-ing all the levels is going to be as out of the reach of most players as a trip to the moon - but just so. Much. God. Damned. Fun it's unbelievable.

I've rage quit plenty of games over difficulty spikes I see as simply not worth the bother, but I'm still happily plugging away at this to completion, trying the odd mission every now and then. It is unfair a lot of the time, it delights in dropping traps on you absolutely no-one could see coming or setting up nigh-on impossible feats of hand-eye co-ordination, but it's still chock full of "Aha!" moments. The elation when you work out what you're supposed to be doing and successfully carry it off against all the odds is right up there with Demon's/Dark Souls.

And it's also the way all the little touches make the powerups so much of a delight to play around with, even while they're killing you - the superball pickup is practically impossible to handle and can get you stuck in a split second, but it's somehow still hilarious hearing that noise and seeing twenty clones bouncing around helplessly. The pickups to make you heavy keep coming at precisely the wrong moment and mean you need to start tapping the screen in a completely different reason, but seeing this bloated floppy-eared thing flailing along and weakly jumping forward never fails to raise a smile.

It's not perfect - the level design does cross the line into sadistic more than a few times and it ramps up the difficulty curve very, very quickly. The silhouettes also feel like they blur into the background in places - the two layers are not really distinct enough for me. Some kind of storytelling would be nice... I agree there's no way this game should ever have text, or cutscenes, or what have you but the backgrounds hardly change and there's not much sense of progression, of going anywhere, beyond the game getting faster, harder and throwing in more powerups.

Still, for all those nitpicks, it might be a flawed gem but it's a gem nonetheless. Brilliant, brilliant stuff. And yes, this easily deserves to be ranked up there with Simogo's work IMO - the one touch controls alone are up there with Beat Sneak Bandit.

13. estriquinina

estriquinina Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Simply amazing. My favourite game of the year so far.

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Geez, the last few levels are tough, but I finally managed to complete them. Absolutely superb game, I really can't fault it. Now to go back through the levels and see how many I can 3-star!

15. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Just stopping by to proclaim my utter love for this game...

I also believe that this game will be a game changer in the gaming market, n im not joking

Current n far future generation game developers will look at this for inspiration the way super mario, tetris n quake have defined n set the bar for other games

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #116 Montanx, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    This game is very good, love the atmosphere and checkpoints.

17. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Does this play like Rayman jungle run if so I'd get it I loved that game

18. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    There are 25 achievements.

19. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Not really. It's hard to pidgeon hole. Yes you could say it plays like Jetpack Joyride but it feels alot more organic then that. There are alot of Trials like elements like live physics effecting the path forward but it feels less scripted then that also.
    This is a special game for sure with so many little touches that you can fall in love with. It's pretty easy to recommend

20. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    15 achievements got in game, but only 13 in Game Center. Please add a force sync feature.