Universal BADLAND - (by Frogmind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thank you

2. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    This looks like a really high quality game. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

3. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Same here, I just picked it up

4. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Amazing game, console quality and exclusive on mobile devices :)

5. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

It's been quite interesting 24 hours. We are so happy that there are so many people that are actually enjoying playing BADLAND!

This was just the beginning for BADLAND and there is still a lot to come in the future updates!

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Love the Inception sounding title music. They've nailed the sense of doom, paranoia and innocence that limbo had. This a new classic

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#87 Bronxsta, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Woah...just watched the launch trailer
    (not sure if it's been posted already, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nkxyKo09Qs)

Wow, those levels look awesome. Way more hectic and complex than I had imagined possible with such a simple gameplay mechanic. Buying this immediately!!
    ---
    PS How do you embed videos? Is it through 'Insert Link'?

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#88 Bronxsta, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    And...I bought it. (Said I was buying immediately right?)

Only played the first five levels so far and it's awesome. It's much faster and easier to die than I expected (which is a good thing, I like a challenge.) The one touch controls are super responsive and there's a nice sense of change and weight in the physics when you grow or shrink. I thought my iPhone 4 would have performance issues due to the visuals and number of things happening on screen at once but the game runs silky smooth. And the download size was a lot smaller than expected.

Can't wait to see what's coming in the updates! Hoping for some kind of randomized endless mode. And I guess, more level sets and new obstacles and powerups

Highly recommended, 5 stars
    ---
    @Juhana:
    is this Frogmind's first game? If so, what a debut! Hope it sells really well and can't wait to see what other games you guys are going to make

Also, how do you activate the video replay mode shown in that recent video?

9. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    This is totally my reason as well. That, and the glowing reviews/impressions on this thread. More than I usually spend on one app, but I really like it so far. It's certainly challenging, but I'm getting the hang of it. A big bonus for me is how forgiving the game is with checkpoints - I'd be hopelessly frustrated/discouraged if I had to start from the very beginning each time I got squished/crushed/sliced. Because there's lots of this for me:

I think I completed about four levels, but it takes so long (so far, in a good way) to do each individual level that I've already lost a good number of hours and I've only played it the once. Definitely glad I bought it.

Also, it's the first game I've ever used headphones/listened to the whole game and not just whatever small special effect chirps came through at minimum volume.

Just so, so pretty. Only got one new title this week, and it's a good week.

10. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yes this is Frogmind's first game.

If you repeat the level and play it through, there's a replay mode button in the result screen. There you can record the replay and share it immediately with Everyplay :)

11. Germy_Wermy

Germy_Wermy Active Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Just popped in to say that this is the most I have spent on an game/app on the App Store, and it is the best 4 bucks I have spent!

Great production values, great atmosphere, spot-on controls, and I just played a couple rounds of multiplayer with a friend, and it's a hoot and a half!

Great job Frogmind! :)

12. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Going for three stars (eggs?) on each level is NASTY. I don't see myself getting all of them but going to be nice way to pass time on train giving it a shot.

I'd put Badland up with Space Invaders IG and Infinity Blade as one of the great iOS original games. Really well done.

Oh snap!

13. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    #93 xx99, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Holy smokes, this is phenomenal. The controls and physics are spot-on. The artwork is beautiful. The music is the perfect kind of game music where it sort of blends in to the world so seamlessly that you don't realize it's there but it contributes so much to the mood. The sound effects absolutely blew me away, they are visceral, clean, and realistic. Normally I do not care at all about sound, but this game just nails it (note: I'm using Apple EarPods).

The user interface is unobtrusive and intuitive. Best of all, the mechanics partnered with interesting level design and clever puzzles are so fun. There are a bunch of power-ups that control aspects of your character like its speed, rotation, size, and quantity. there are times you are controlling well over 20 characters at once and the game doesn't slow down at all. I am so impressed by the tight level design that often results in completing a chain of puzzles with exactly one surviving character (out of the heaps of clones I enter a puzzle with).

Easily a top 10 iOS game of all time for me and a GoTY contender with Year Walk.

14. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Not to brag or anything but I have spent $20 in iOS game before (The Walking Dead and galaxy on fire 2 including the expansions):)

Devs, if you are reading this, job well done. In your next update, add some kind of story to it? Like, who is that flying thingy and where is the setting? Why is it going through those clones?...etc

When I read no IAP and iCloud support, i was sold:)

15. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I want to know what gaming anti Christ gave this game less than 5stars???!!! This is the kind of game we should be dreaming of getting in iOS and crying for joy when it arrives.

16. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Is anyone else getting a Abes Odyssey vibe from this? I kinda get the feeling when the little creature gets dumped out with the trash at the start that it shouldn't be in there. Did it escape or was it let loose?

17. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    In terms of the comments made earlier regarding the exact genre of this title, it is both runner and platformer, while also being neither. By borrowing elements from both genres, it is a hybrid, but games this unique will always defy an exact label and will always be more than the sum of their parts. In fact, this title blends the defining aspects of many different genres.

This title has translated from exactly what I thought it would be to the reality of what it is. This reality is nothing less than upper echelon presentation, resulting in some of the finest craftsmanship I've seen yet in iOS gaming. No need to get into specifics. This is simply the way it should be.

My only true concern at this point is how much, in that I am wondering if the length of this game will be enough to satisfy my appetite for it. I read 40 levels; I hope it is quadruple that.

The money from my wallet will continue to filter into the pockets of developers who bypass the entire notion of IAP and deliver uninterrupted quality.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    100% agree, i wasnt going to get this at first as i'm not keen on 'runner' style games but i'm glad this proved me wrong. But as you say we should support games like this totally, no IAP, no ads, its great

19. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I as well am generally not a fan of any genre that utilizes mechanics that do the work automatically for you. Certain titles that do this, for example, Bod of Glades (name alteration to protect identity) make me feel as though I am watching a movie rather than playing a game. However, similar to how a piece of bread becomes more interesting with peanut butter spread on top, a runner can become much more appealing when diluted with aspects from other genres. PunchQuest isn't fun because it is a runner. It is fun because it is a fighter.

The irony of the gameplay in Badland is that it highlights how I often feel when I am playing a game with adds or IAP. It's up, down, backwards, forwards, any which way but straight ahead, whereas Badland employs these notions perfectly.

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    The dev kindly responded to my iPad 1 question, and I can confirm it works beautifully. So far, I'm very impressed.