Universal BADLAND - (by Frogmind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ZachWheat13

ZachWheat13 Active Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Is it possible to play offline, save a bunch of clones, then get connected back up? That's the only explanation I've got for "out of nowhere"

2. grandmort

grandmort Active Member

Oct 13, 2013
    True, true... That'd be some "offline work" he did this guy!

3. grandmort

grandmort Active Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Matt33 is ONE CLONE away from 2,200 !!!!!!!

4. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    I think it's time for another link to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuYdJFejR0jdE52blhqUU44VXBCSF95TVpWZHRiYWc&usp=sharing

Hopefully we get some more people to add. I know we have double digit numbers of people viewing the sheet. Please add yours!!

grandmort and I have been working to improve the sheet. If you have a known maximum or what you believe to be a maximum achievable please add that in the comments section next to the level! You don't even have to make a column for yourself if you don't want to!! ;)

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Made it!

Lol pretty funny that you posted the update in that second one. That's just a testament to how difficult it is to improve at this point. Not to say there aren't that many more clones up for grabs, but the levels that they are available on take a lot of time to be successful.

6. grandmort

grandmort Active Member

Oct 13, 2013
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    This is quite an achievement!
    You, Sir, are a mutant (this is a compliment when I say this)!

7. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    The spreadsheet with clones counts is now only accessible by getting the link from me via PM here on the forums. The reason is there were alot of viewers and only myself and two others (grandmort and blodpudding) that were actually contributing. I realize that the higher ranked guys are kinda secretive about their counts and understandably so. But if you're not within the top 10 I don't see why you can't help out and share your counts.

grandmort is currently #12 and I'll be within the top 20 in a week or so. If we can help out and share ours, then I'm not seeing why others can't. The more people that contribute, the more fun it can be with "level leaders" and trying to 1-up each other.

I'm also considering adding hidden achievements into the sheet - so that might add some motivation.

8. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Isn't that a good thing? :confused:

Maybe you could start charging for a peek at the spreadsheet? 25 cents gets you 10 seconds?

9. Lunartic

Lunartic Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Japan
    #469 Lunartic, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    That's a bad idea that won't work, trust me I've tried a similar line for other games on more than one occasion. You need to keep it open and do fun stuff that encourages people to join in (your achievement comp is a good idea) and not exclude people. Just my lurking 2 cents.

Edit: From skimming through the thread I can see that you're very passionate about the game which is great. If my experience has taught me anything it's that you need to be comfortable with the idea of being so all on your own, or else you're just setting yourself up for a lot of frustration (which is obviously where you're at now with locking down your spreadsheet). Be happy with the fact you've got a couple of people to bounce ideas around with and don't worry about all the people that aren't willing to put any time and effort into stuff you do. If you think I'm talking out of my arse, ask Matt33 as he's ridden the wave with me on a different game for a couple of years.

Cheers!

10. TetrisChamp

TetrisChamp Member

Oct 31, 2013
    I was so happy about the price drop--I've had my eye on this for quite some time. What a truly awesome game! The mechanics are just perfect! I also love the "story" that gets told without any text or dialog or anything. Its such an interesting world! I'm always wondering what happened to this place. The game has a really unique feel to it that gets reinforce by the visuals, audio, and gameplay. Truly a classic! I'm excited to play more and hope we get some kind of a sequel some day and learn more about this world.

11. ogster

ogster Well-Known Member

that is possible. and his day 1 and day 2 scores being not on the leaderboard is not a clear indication that the score is bogus. we know that some of the top scores get bumped off the leaderboard every now and then.

12. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

Hello All!

Nice to see you guys are really taking the game seriously :) Few of you have already saved more clones than I ever thought was even possible.

Some of you have speculated about the random factor of this game. I think the most intriguing thing in every physics based game is the randomness of things. As long as it's logical and based on the laws of physics. It only feels random because we humans can't calculate the outcome. That being said, I feel that in BADLAND it's important that the game feels real but at the same time fair. Levels are designed in the way that if you really focus and plan your strategy you will eventually learn how to minimize your clone casualties.

Not much longer and we have night levels ready for you. There's some really cool new stuff coming :)

13. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    #473 ZachWheat13, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Yes, it's very good, but I was getting frustrated that only grandmort and I were actively participating. We may as well just be messaging back and forth. The whole idea was to make a place were everyone could see each other's progress and push each other to save more clones as well as having some fun/bragging rights with the "level leaders" on the sheet.

Thanks for the input! After reading that, I think what I'll do is make the sheet public once again and make the achievement guide available to people participating? I'm open to suggestions. I come from PS3 where there is high involvement in participation helping each other. The iOS community is kinda strange to me, honestly.

Here's the updated link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuYdJFejR0jdF84ZmttM3NoMXZsZXR3cUczR3VMWXc&usp=drive_web#gid=1

The old one still works, it will just redirect you to this one.

I'm also working on an achievement guide/walkthrough for BADLAND. Hopefully I'll have that available soon!

14. Lunartic

Lunartic Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Japan
    No worries man, thanks for taking my (from left field) suggestions on board. Seriously I've been where you are now and after lockdown it plays out something like this:
    - Still nobody shows up to contribute.
    - This really gets to you even worse than before and so you hit the self destruct button on it.
    - You immediately regret it.
    Well at least that's how it played out for me, twice! hahahahaaaa shiiiiet.

I rebuilt again for a third time but with a completely different mindset and so far it's been going great (although it did take a long while to get going).

I'm only very new to Badland (<6hrs playing time) but after clearing all of the current levels, I can see how much depth there still is in it for people such as yourself who really get into it. I think what you've done with your spreadsheet and documenting stuff is really cool and reminds me very much of the early stages of how our community for a different game came about.

I'd like to see what else you've got going on and will try to remember to send you a PM on Monday about it. I need all the help can get!

15. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    #475 ZachWheat13, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Yeah! Just let me know. grandmort has been really helpful to me so far, so anything I can do to help just let me know. Honestly the spreadsheet has really helped. I would have given up on levels much too soon if I hadn't seen what's possible from the spreadsheet/grandmort!

I think grandmort and I are doing pretty well with clone saving but like I've said, it would be nice to have some others join! The main thing the sheet needs now is "absolute" maximums and "achieved" maximums to be filled in. With more people that process could be greatly sped up.

UPDATED: Link to achievement guide below!

16. ogster

ogster Well-Known Member

my new score won't register on gamecenter. seems now i have to be online when i set a new score to register on gamecenter. i've also completed all missions and achievements but they too don't show in gamecenter.

anybody have a good guess why? i play on an ipod touch 4th gen if that's any hint.

17. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    Have you done the obvious yet and turned your ipod off/on? Maybe if you set a new record or get another achievement while connected it will sync everything else at the point too? That's all I got.

18. ogster

ogster Well-Known Member

yes i have. weird thing is my score updates but the missions and achievements stay the same. even weirder, when i managed the multiplayer achievement, only THAT popped up in gamecenter. the flaw and 210 missions achievements remain missing. i know the 210 missions will eventually come when the next levels are here. but, do i have to do the flaw thing again?

19. ZachWheat13

Oct 17, 2013
    #479 ZachWheat13, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Well I'd definitely wait to see what happens. No way would I want to do Flaw again - hopefully it pops for you!

20. Ete P. Tete

Ete P. Tete New Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #480 Ete P. Tete, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Hi everyone

Dear developers, please always keep in mind that a week needs seven days to be complete! ;-)
    Many thanks to you from me as well, and my full respect! I'm using the iPhone since the beginning, and over the years there were only 2 or 3 games that put me into bonds as BADLAND. I'm loving it!

Don't wanna forget to say: Hello Community and warm regards to everyone from Cologne/Germany.
    In search of some hints on hidden achievements I found this forum and checked every single page. Lotta information and very friendly people (and all addicted as me).

Thanks to Zach for the google doc. For myself, I defined the theoretical max for every level, and I'm astound of whats possible. I also filled out the google doc for day one. Very proud of leading 3 levels! And lotta work to do on other levels. The 50+ on Superclone is most mysterious to me as I have no idea on how to bring so many clones through the last minefield.

BTW: The doc seems to be in need of some care as some formatting doesn't work properly. E.g. the max-columns don't auto-update, no auto-coloring of max values, day-addition from my column to the end goes wrongÂ… just give me a clue and I'm glad to help!

Cheers,
    Ete

edit: figured out my worst problem on Superclone and found a way to avoid - raised clones from 33 to 50! :)