iPhone BADLAND - atmospheric action adventure from Frogmind!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Johannes Vuorinen, Jul 2, 2012.

1. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #21 LazyGamer, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    I have a friend who thinks universal apps are the devil. He says he often pays for the extra iPad assets he can not use and at the same time the UI is designed for iPad and not tailor made for the small iPhone screen.

But that is not why I asked, I just had in mind that universal releases should be posted in upcoming iPhone/iPod touch games instead of both categories to keep discussion in one place...but I didn't actually find a rule for that.

2. andrewb21

andrewb21 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Developer, artist, designer, programmer and janito
    Los Angeles
    Art looks great, wish you guys the best of luck and look forward to hearing more. :)

3. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

BADLAND will be designed for both devices. Still, I don't think we'll have to compromise anything. We can put some extra visual stuff in the newer devices but the gameplay mechanics and the overall experience will be equal with every device from iPhone 3GS to iPad3.

4. Wow, those graphics look amazing. Hope the in game graphics match, cause it should be a roaring success.

5. Wow this looks absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to play!

6. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Programmer & Designer / Co-founder
    Finland
    #26 Johannes Vuorinen, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback! The graphics will look even better in game in motion.

A small update in our dev blog. We set up a DevCam in our studio last week which shows live video of us developing BADLAND. If you are interested in what kind of studio we are working, check out our blog's right sidebar. :) You might also spot something about BADLAND that we yet haven't told. Our studio is in Finland, Helsinki and we are usually around at weekdays from 8am to 8pm (GMT+2).

7. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Amazing artwork. Games like these take's you back to the beginning of it all, where FPS and highest 3D settings doesn't matter, and you just sit back and enjoy the authentic atmosphere of a game. Hopefully the story is equal to the artwork. Following this!

8. blackout845

blackout845 New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Sound engineer
    Los Angeles
    Can't wait

Cant wait to get my hands on this beautiful looking game

9. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    #29 LazyGamer, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    Johannes, I am watching you, so don't pick your nose.

And I am totally ready to post high res screens from the other monitor, once I enhanced them with my secret CSI zooming technology.

screen.jpg

Hah, here is the first screen of the game running on iPad, I am sure you wish you hadn't installed that camera:

screen_ipad.jpg

10. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    Hehe, nice capture! Though, I think you should enhance your CSI zooming technology. :)

Soon you will reveal all our secrets by just watching our DevCam. :)

11. Juhana Myllys

New blog post in our website concerning our philosophy on gaming experience:

Gaming experience and what we think about it

Both of us here at Frogmind have a long history of gaming starting from the late 80′s. We have played thousands of different games starting from Commodore 64 all the way to the new iPad. In the process we have learned what are the elements we like and dislike in games and in game business.

We think that games should be developed by constantly thinking from the perspective of the player. The player eventually playing your game is the king. He/she is the person whose enjoyment is in the hands of your game. Thus, the end-user experience is the most important goal in our games and we want it to be flawless in BADLAND. We think we are able to achieve this as we are active gamers ourselves. We are developing BADLAND for us too. We want to enjoy it as much as you will do.

So, what do we think brings better gaming experience in games especially in iOS devices? Let us give a few examples:

We think that immersion is very important in games. The best games are those which really give the player the feeling that he/she is in the game world. It can be really hard to get the mind to the game’s world but it’s super-easy to get it out there. For example, while playing, a pop-up suggesting you to spend real money to buy stuff, is the prefect immersion killer. Seeing real world references, such as price tags with real world money currency, can easily take the player’s mind away from the game world spoiling the gaming experience. Moreover, spending real money is not fun and still so many games remind constantly the player about it with different in-app purchase possibilities. In our opinion, this eventually ruins the game’s fun. We are not saying that in-game purchases in general are bad thing but they can be done wrong so easily. For example, we think that buying additional real content, such as level packs, inside the game through menus can be totally OK. Another example of ruining the immersion is to underestimate players by having lengthy tutorials explaining everything by hand. We could continue with more examples how to spoil the immersion, but these two are good examples as they can be seen in games in the AppStore. We want to make sure that you have as immerse gaming experience while playing BADLAND as possible.

Another good example of what we like in games especially in Apple’s iOS AppStore is their universality. When developing a game or any application to the AppStore, the developer can decide whether to develop the game as a universal application or not. A universal application means that the application has been designed for all the iOS devices: iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. In most cases it means that the end-user can play the same game in all of his/her iOS devices with the UI and the graphics designed for each device separately. With universality, given that the game is available for all of the iOS devices, the player does not need to buy multiple versions of the game in order to get the best experience in all of his/her devices. Only one purchase is required. We think that players want to play games in all possible iOS devices they own with best gaming experience possible, but do not want to buy the same game multiple times. Thus, BADLAND will be an universal application with the gameplay, the UI and all the graphics designed for the iPhone 3GS resolution, the iPhone 4&4S retina resolution, the iPad 1&2 resolution and for the new iPad retina resolution. You get all this with one purchase, and after that, you can play BADLAND with beautiful graphics with all your iOS devices.

This list could go on with more examples, but we hope that these two examples give you some grasp of us as game developers and what kind of gaming experience we want BADLAND to be. Feel free to ask us questions in the comments or in Twitter/Facebook.

In the next blog post Juhana is going to start a blog post series concerning the creation of the visual look of BADLAND. The picture below is a quick sneak peek of the series.

[​IMG]

12. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    Juhana updated our dev blog about inspirations behind the art of BADLAND. If interested, check out our dev blog.

I have been busy coding the gameplay. We'll working hard to show you guys first video footage from the game. Hopefully we are able to do it already in the next month.

While you are waiting, here's some new art from BADLAND:
    [​IMG]

13. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I am desperate to see this game in motion.

14. Juhana Myllys

Hello again! Blog post series on BADLAND's visual inspirations continues! Check it out in our blog.

Also, we want to show some new BADLAND art. It’s a little sneak peak to the future, what ever that means…

[​IMG]

15. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    Time to show you what it is like after dawn in BADLAND. And, what’s that thingy in the water? What do you guys think? :)

[​IMG]

Btw, Juhana made that picture using only in-game assets.

We have so much to tell you about BADLAND but rather than writing about all the stuff, we are working hard to show you first gameplay video footage from BADLAND in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned!

16. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    #36 Johannes Vuorinen, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    First gameplay video and screenshots are here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BADLAND is an atmospheric side-scrolling action adventure located in a gorgeous forest full of various inhabitants, trees and flowers. Although the forest looks like it’s from some beautiful fairytale, there seems to be something terribly wrong. The player controls one of the forest’s inhabitants to discover what’s going on. Through his journey he discovers astonishing amount of imaginative traps and obstacles.

BADLAND takes side-scrollers to the next level with its innovative physics based gameplay combined with the extremely beautiful atmospheric graphics and audio.

BADLAND has been designed specifically for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and uses one-touch controls to give the player the best possible control mechanics. In addition, the graphics have been designed to fully use the retina Retina Display of these devices. The result is an highly immersive, addicting gaming experience.

More info coming later this year. Meanwhile, subscribe to our blog, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about BADLAND. Stay tuned! :)

All feedback more than welcome!

17. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Looking great Guys! Can you move backwards if necessary, from right to left, or do you automatically move forward to the right? I'm just looking at the video around 1:34 - if you moved past that point by mistake, could you backtrack to tip the rock into the explosives?

18. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Just beautiful!

19. Adamanth

Adamanth New Member

May 4, 2012
    Wow, I just watched the video, The game really looks cool!
    Keep up the good job!

20. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Great work guys, this looks beautiful...!!!
    Is it runner/platformer like Rayman for iOS or is it classic platformer that you can move in both directions and take your time with puzzles? Also how far you are in this, do you have a release window or is to early for this?
    (i know... a lot of questions :) )