Universal Bad North: Jotunn Edition (by Raw Fury)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Oct 15, 2019.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Anyone think it’s bad they haven’t fixed this yet? I got it refunded with the plan to buy again if they fix it and the last update acknowledges the issue but no fix....just basically your save can become corrupted randomly and can’t be fixed. So can’t play at all really because it can die at any time.

Which is a shame as I liked this and hoped they would jump on it quicker.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    yeh sure it’s not a great look, but that last update was just a week ago and was about the time they became aware of it so imo, since it could a complicated matter, we’re still well within the normal time it can take to sort these things out.

If I recall, as a more recent example Civ VI on mobile had some crashing issues that was only experienced by some users. Took them at least 6 months to sort that, and they ran a closed beta most of the way demonstrating they were indeed trying to get to the bottom of it. Some issues just take time.

On another note, I’m playing through a run right now at about 55% through the run and if I can be purely honest, I’m finding it quite a bit repetitive and the runs go for quite some time, somewhat getting boring and repetitive. Although there’s strategy in the unit leveling (which is in its self limited), and strategy in the tactics of the island battles, it’s all relatively modest in depth. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty decent ‘little’ tower defence game that for sure I can see why some enjoy it so much.

I can see how it can get real nail biting if you spread your troops thin and bit off more than you can handle in a battle (as you acquire more troops you can start to split the operations). But I can just see that taking on increased risk of losing troops will lead to a possibly out of control spiral of defeat. So I’m playing cautiously, and succeeding and seem to be progressing as I should be anyway so...
    Playing cautiously in this game seems to be getting repetitive and boring, but the same gameplay is still there if you play wrecklessly, you’ll just spiral in to a loss sooner. Cautious play is usually encouraged and engaging in roguelites.

I’m just not sure I’ll kick off another run after this honestly. There’s other Tower defence type games to do similar stuff with.

stubbieoz likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    The game’s free on EPIC store. Just so you know.

stubbieoz and PraetorianX like this.
  4. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Is this game still having issues?..I am thinking of downloading it but may hold off if issues still exist

5. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I’ve never had the issue. That might be a great test case or a bad one from your perspective ;)

Ijipop likes this.
  6. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Ok thanks. A few of the reviews on the App Store say they have loading or crashing issues. Maybe isolated cases. I just wanted to know before I give it a try

7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I can’t believe after all this time they haven’t done another update for this game yet! Why bother making it if your just going to leave it dead, so glad I got a refund on it with how bad it was crashing and just not working.

I got a refund thinking when they fix it I’ll buy it again and still it seems nothing?

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Currently on sale for $2.99.

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I wouldn’t pay 99p for it as from the version history it doesn’t seem like they have done anything with the game or fixed the issue with losing saved games.

CygnetSeven likes this.
  10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I haven’t had any issues with this game. Great little RTS for on the go!

CygnetSeven likes this.
  11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Never had an issue - an excellent, excellent game

CygnetSeven likes this.
  12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I want to believe you two but I got a refund because of the issue but I still see on the reviews with people getting corrupted save files as I had.

The patch notes mention they are aware of save file corruption and the only update since says implementing error tracking so it appears no fix for whatever was causing it for those of us that got it.

13. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I have reached out to the developer asking if they are attempting to address this problem and will post back here if I receive a reply.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thank you, that would be great to know because I was enjoying this game and I’d love to buy it again but I can’t help but think it looks like they released it and then just walked away from it. But if I’m wrong and they do care about it and fixing it I’m all in.

15. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    What a sweet passive-aggressive attitude, man. Majority have zero problems with this game. Have you tried contacting devs yourself?

16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #76 ste86uk, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Thought I’d edit my reply just to say, I actually posted about the game to ask people that have been playing the game a question and to voice my concern over issues I and others encountered sadly. It’s not our fault if the majority didn’t get it because we still did.

Your post on the other hand added no value at all to this thread and was exactly what you accused me of being.

17. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Corrupted save files are certainly very frustrating for a game like this.

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey, no issues/crashes here either, it runs fine.
    btw, great game, never grabbed ‘cause didn’t believe in it... better late than never!

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    So as far as I’m aware there were two separate issues with the game:

One where save files got corrupted and another where the iCloud integration messes with the save files.

I messaged the developers a while ago and as far I’m aware, the first has been fixed. I certainly haven’t encountered it since the update ages ago.

The second is an odd one - because the game tries to take your save file from the cloud or, failing that, tries to find a local offline one and sometimes gets confused. This one has not been fixed.

BUT! I think if you only play from one device, you’ll be safe. I recently played the game through to completion and didn’t have any trouble as long as I didn’t switch devices. Take that as you will, but it’s a fantastic game.

PraetorianX and CygnetSeven like this.
  20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Reply from the dev, unfortunately not much light on the subject;

“The situation at the moment is that there are a small number of users who are experiencing save issue and crashes. This is not tied to any specific version of iOS or device model so it's proving incredibly hard to work out why that would be and is very frustrating for us and for those players. We are still looking into it, but right now there is no way to say whether your specific iOS device will function properly.

Apple do have a pretty good refund policy, so you should be able to buy and if you are not satisfied then you can request a refund, or contact [email protected] who may be able to help you solve the issue with some changes to Game Center settings etc.

Cheers,
    // Richard”

www.badnorth.com
    Twitter | Facebook

ste86uk likes this.