Universal Bad North: Jotunn Edition (by Raw Fury)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Oct 15, 2019.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Amen. I'm the last person to ever come close to an RTS and I can't put this down.

ste86uk likes this.
  2. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Ok, I’ll buy it.

3. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    It’s fantastic. No regrets at all. Tremendous touch experience. 5/5

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That didn’t take long! :p

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I just got half an hour with it and definitely want to play more. Just wondering for those that are further along what does happen when the dark patch behind you catches up to you?

Also wondering what troops you all favour, I have 4 squads so far and 2 of those are pikes which so far I’m liking the best.

6. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I have almost finished the campaign but I didn't have the courage to try a combat in a "dark" zone. I guess it might work as in FTL where you will be assaulted by a huge amount of invaders. So either you are a genius and manage to fend them off or you just kill whatever you can and steal their boats to flee.

About the squads, I will have to answer in a really annoying matter by saying: it depends :)
    It really depends on the layout of the island and the type of invaders.

In your case, 2 pikes (and I guess 1 archer and 1 infantry?), it works fine at the beginning but keep in mind that each units have their weaknesses. Pikemen for instance can't attack while moving, they have to stand their ground and lower the pikes before attacking. They also can't defend against arrows! So Archers are their true nemesis because you can't wait for them on the beach if you don't want to get decimated by their arrows and you will have a difficult time chasing after them because they can fire while running.
    So if the invaders are melee only, you can take them in a pincer attack with you Pikemen or you can guard a specific position on top of a hill by sacrificing some houses on the beach. But it might not be a good idea to have too many of them as you progress and unlock new types of invaders.

In my case, what I find the most reliable is 2 Infantry, 1 Pikeman, 1 Archer. It can adapt to many circonstances and fend off most of the invaders whatever their types. Once upgraded to maximum, your archers can eliminate most of Melee boats even before they touch the ground and in case they miss too much, keeping an Infantry near them is enough to kill the remaining onces. Basically for me, Archer are useful against enemies while they are on their boats. Once on the ground, the Archers are too weak and not much of a use (they can still send a Volley of Arrows to help your melee units against a horde).
    Having 2 Infantry units will help you to protect your Archers and Pikemen in case of a full frontal assault, especially when heavy Bowmen invaders will be present. Also it seem to me that the Infantry type is the most OP because they can deal with pretty much any type of enemies. However, it takes them more time so you might have to restore them in a house from time to time because of that.
    And a last reason for having this composition is that in later stages you will have 2 teams (meaning 4 Infantry, 2 Pikemen and 2 Archers) and that will allow you to more easily adapt to islands so that you can clear two of them in a single turn.

But then again, it really depends on the layout of the island. Some are really complex, some are flat, some are tower-like. Just let your imagination and the strategist in you test it out!
    For example, I have come across an island with only one entry point and a single stairway to climb over 3 floors to reach the houses. I also checked the invaders and they were all melee ones. So I went with 2 Pikemen and 2 Archers. Pikemen blocked the way while Archers assisted them from the rear. I simply relayed the duos and cleaned the island without any trouble.

Also, don't forget that when you unlock new squads, sometimes they are blank types but sometime they already come with an upgrade. If you already have multiple units of the same type, you might be disappointed to find yet another same unit, thus crippling your synergy.

slewis7, PraetorianX and ste86uk like this.
  7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I thought that this was fixed and that’s why it’s back on the store?

Attached Files:

8. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I’m in love with this game.

touchscreen mobile is the best experience.

I love it

Skall likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I upfucked (went for a new commander knowing it would leave me unable to escape “on time”) and so ended up IN THE DARK ZONE for 3-4 turns between checkpoints 1 and 2.

I didn’t notice any difference in the combat at all. Tbf, I didn’t notice any difference so hard that I wondered if I was misinterpreting its purpose.

Then I broke out using an awesome leapfrog manoeuvre with my TWO SPEAR COMMANDERS TAKING ON AN ISLAND OF ARCHERS ENTIRELY ON THEIR OWN hell yes, so now I’m back in the light and planning further insane leapfrogs and who knows tbh *shrugs*

PraetorianX and ste86uk like this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I haven’t been able to play still since the first go with the save file bug

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That save will never work again. You should start another one - hopefully they fixed what causes it.

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #52 ste86uk, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    I downloaded and started this after I thought the game got put back up though I wasn’t one of the first people to get it or anything.

So it’ll probably just happen again I figure.

13. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Loving it - but my game starts crashing on load / restart, midway in a campaign :(
    Ipad2017 and latest version of the game.

14. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    My latest thing:

Two archers, ground level, awaiting coming boats at different angles.

To my surprise, the enfilade effect - even against shielded enemies - has been merciless.

Discovered this whilst taking on a flat island for the hell of it, with my only three spare commanders: two archers, one pike. The pikes barely got a kill, bc everything was slaughtered before it touched the shore.

Have since used the same “what the heck” combo several more times, to similar effect.

15. gmg979

gmg979 Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Okay so I have been playing with no problems for the last couple days and I got another corrupted save file. Really frustrating they haven't fixed this problem yet.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yeah, happened to me again recently too. Still playing and enjoying it a lot, and I’ve heard from their support team that they’re working on the issue.

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Yeh sadly it’s taken too long it shouldn’t have been released with an issue like that. Sadly I took a refund with no update in sight yet. But if it’s all fixed at some point I’d play again.

PapaT likes this.
  18. cladoceran

cladoceran Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Nice game, i just wonder any way to resurrect dead troops?

19. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    There is an artefact you can use once.
    That resurrect a dead squad leader.

if you really meant « troops ». You send them in houses on the map

PraetorianX likes this.
  20. cladoceran

cladoceran Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Yes i meant squad leader , thank you