Backpack Harry, retro platformer.

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by TrueBlou, Dec 19, 2015.

1. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Well the time has come, Backpack Harry launches at midnight so I figured it was time to move out of the upcoming section.

Backpack Harry is a classic platformer, something I've always wanted to do. It's a universal game across iOS and Apple TV and supports MFI controllers on all platforms.

The Apple TV version of the games main draw at the moment is as a portal to the online levels, created and shared by, well anyone and allowing you to play your own levels on the big screen.

Other than that, there are 24 levels included just now in the normal game, which serve as a training ground.
    World three is where the non-online section of the game will really kick off. That's when the training wheels are getting removed and the real action begins.

Fortunately you won't have to wait long for them, I'll be releasing a steady stream of new levels once the game is out and you'll get notified on launching the game of their availability. Then you can just download them and get playing. There's no waiting about for AppStore updates.

Probably the single best bit of the game is the included (on iOS) level editor. Allowing you to create and share your own levels. There's lots of classic platformer elements to use in the levels and there's three sizes of level to choose from.

I'm also almost finished the first update to the game, which along with the usual behind the scenes tweaks adds more new things to the level editor. Such as slopes (which just barely missed the 1.0 release because I wasn't happy with them) disappearing blocks and some more tile types. So expect that in the first week or two of the new year at the latest.

I've created a thread with the promo codes to download Backpack Harry ahead of tomorrows launch, you can find it here.

It'll be nice to finally see what sort of levels get created by all of the nice? sneaky? evil? people out there, especially as I had to delete all of the pre-release levels from the servers before launch. You do not want to know the kinds of things that were getting put in levels ;)

Cheers,
    Stuart.

Oh, here's the release trailer if you've not already seen it.

2. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Here's a quick look at a couple of the new additions to the level editor coming in update 1.0.1. Namely sloped tiles and disappearing/re-appearing tiles. Oh and the chattering teeth enemies, bit like the pumpkins but you can't bounce off the teeth, it's instant death on contact with them.

Gives a bit more flexibility when creating levels and it also means I'll be able to release the first batch of new levels for the main game as some of them need the 1.0.1 update.

Should be available in the first week or two of the new year.