Backing up game saves?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, May 29, 2009.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    When you restore from a backup with that app data in it, the data comes back.

2. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    If your not Jailbroken then yes it will be deleted, if you are, then Appbackup or Chronus will save them (look at above posts)

3. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    When you backup your device through iTunes, all app data is preserved. When you get a new device, the first time, it will ask you if you want to 'restore from backup' or 'set up as a new device'. If you click set up as a new device, your app data will be lost as the new device's first sync will erase the old backup. If you select restore from backup, the device will basically become the same as the old device. All your apps and their data at the time of backup will be restored.

4. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    Many thanks!

5. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    This thread is about specifically restoring a backup to a new idevice. It has nothing to do with deleting an app and expecting any game data to be saved. However, from what I'm reading if you have a jailbroken iPhone then you can backup game data without using iTunes.

6. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    #26 florbastang, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Bummer. When I first set the new one up, it wouldn't let me use the old backup since the new Touch had the last firmware on it (2.2.0) and the backup was using 2.2.1. It said I could just setup as new and then restore to the old backup. I setup as new and when it was done there was nothing on the iPod (other than what it has as new). I then said restore from backup. It took a few minutes and then started syncing everything, which it is still currently doing. I fear that I'm going to lose all of my data...

Bummer.

On the bright side, the customer service at Apple was wonderful as always. They tested out my Touch with me, replicated the problem, and gave me a new Touch within about 15 minutes total (plus new headphones). The new one is immaculate with not even a scratch on the back. Either they swapped out the case of a refurb one or it's brand new. Sweet either way. This is just one more reason why I'll be an Apple user for life!

EDIT:

I was totally wrong. It DID install everything from the old backup. Everything is there, including my game saves! Sweet nectar! God I love Apple!

7. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I'm gathering that none of this helps me.

1) I am not jailbreaking my phone - I still need it for work and cannot afford lost support

2) I would like to save game files, but I am running out of room on my Iphone, so I need to delete some of them off the device.

Without 3rd party apps, is there no way to do this?

8. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    just take screen shots of your high game scores.

no, it won't save your game, but at least you can say, "yeah, i finished it..." or "yeah, that's the score i got", and will be able to prove it with pictures.

9. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    As I said in page 1, Chronus can solve all problems. Actually, my iPhone have restored and jailbroken many times. I still can backup and restore everythings such as Safari bookmarks, YouNote notes, Need For Speed Underground save, and almost all app's document/setting/save.:D

The most important things is, you should follow the steps in page 1, especially the step to set the access right correctly.

10. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

#1 You can restore after jailbreak and it will be exactly the same as a brand new iPhone.
    #2 Use the tool that above posters mentioned to transfer game files onto your PC.