Background Advertising

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Gabrien, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Dear TA,

The current background for your front page is making my iPhone stutter and lag horribly when I access it. I understand that the background is a part of the advertising that makes you money, but please consider that when it lowers the user's experience to such an extent, said user is just as likely to bookmark the main page of your forums as opposed to accessing them through the main page of your site until the annoyance is done with, thus, lowering your main page traffic and consequently its appeal to advertisers in the first place.

If it's simply a case of a technical mess-up, I hope it will get fixed as soon as possible. If not, and this is actually a normal and permanent effect of the background ad, perhaps you need to reconsider your strategy towards a better balance between income and user experience.

Cheers.

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    I think they said that they weren't going to optimize the website for the iPhone because they were focusing on making an app instead. But yes, this is one of many display issues when viewing the site from an iDevice.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    The issue appears not related to the background image.

The background image adds like 56k to the page. It looks like all the other screenshots are causing the page to be too big. We also have some unoptimized screenshots in there. I'll see about alleviating it.

arn

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks for looking into it. Admittedly I'm only assuming it's the background, but the problem began right when it changed to what it is currently, and all pages on the site except for the main work just fine.

5. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    I exchanged messages with Eli about this issue. When I load the main page it bring Safari to a full out frozen beach-ball-inducing stop when the bar is 3/4 to 2/3 of the way across. Can't scroll, can't do anything. Total lock up. Only on this site, and only on the main page it seems. I've been told it wasnt due to advertising or the background but it's definitely something.

I'm on a 17" 2010 MBP i7 with maxed out ram and a freshly-reset version of Safari.

Interestingly, when I load the site in Firefox, I get a different issue. At the same load point the background still isnt loaded, and the load hangs on that last section. Everything else seems to load OK and at least the browser doesn't lock up, but the load bar tells everything I need to know. Something's hangin'. :)

Thanks. I hope the issue can get resolved.