iPhone Back to the Future Ep 1 HD - (by Telltale)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Not played this myself but I know someone who has and they said there is loads of slowdown and the controls at some points are pretty bad . But as I say I haven't played myself so how bad I don't know

2. xiutian

xiutian Active Member

Jun 1, 2010
    #42 xiutian, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    I've just finished it. Game runs smooth, controls can be a bit icky but nothing to complain about. Thousands of times better than anything made by coladia.

It's fun to play and the puzzles make sense. Graphics are wonderful, expressions on character's faces, etc are very detailed.

I would recommend it.

3. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I also purchased BTTF for iPad. I think it's really well done.

Support Telltale games with purchases, the more successful they are with iOS the better chance we have of getting Jurassic Park.

BTTF ep 1, however, is well worth the purchase. A lot of fun and quite charming.

I played it all morning.

4. cozval

cozval Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Italy
    Think that i will play it on my mac, first episode is free on telltale website :)

5. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    OK stuff it I'm going to give it a go H.W. Telltale have not released BTTF on the euro psn this week and some people say this runs okay (it better had). So if you're still reading I'll drop in again in a day or two and let you know how I got on with it. I played both their other ipad games so I know roughly what to expect.

6. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #46 ArcheAngel, Feb 20, 2011
    Your entire post would have made me laugh if it wasn't so dense to the point of frustration

I don't use the iPad for phone calls I use a different phone (no longer an iPhone)

Although the iPad could make calls quite easily with a Bluetooth and skype or something.....DUH!!!!

Do you even know how to use iOS?

Now that iPhone is on multiple carriers the phones have slight variations (hardware and software) adapted to the corresponding carrier there on. So AT&T's iPhone isn't the same as Verizon's iPhone & I liked it when there was just one iPhone. This is usually referred to as razor syndrome because there's was a razor on every carrier even cricket and all the hardware functions between each carrier's razor was vastly different, even though they kept the same button layout. and I find it better when phones preform the same (at least hardware wise).

And yes operating a iPod touch or iPhone now to me looks small and dinky compared to the sizable iPad. (To me)

I hope I've been clear, but if you need further assistance understanding the English language there plenty of books out there labled "english for ****ies"

You caught me on the wrong damn morning dude.

7. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    #47 ArcheAngel, Feb 20, 2011
    Judging from your lack of knowledge regarding iOS I'm sure we know roughly what to expect from your impressions.

I'm aiming my expectations low....almost To the point of inversion.

8. NoThru22

NoThru22 Well-Known Member

#48 NoThru22, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    How can the people who have this game say that it runs smoothly? I find it acceptable but would never come close to calling it smooth. Without a restart it was skipping 10 to 20 seconds of animation and that is a long time!

9. ArcheAngel

Jul 6, 2010
    I agree, but since we've seen even worse performance with game with a lot less graphical content and animation run even slower than this (and it's really only in heavy areas). So that makes it seem "smooth" to some people.

That coupled with the fact that the slowdowns arn't in actual gameplay, more to do with the transitions which doesn't derail my immersion to much, but wish those lags went there all together.

10. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    ...Someone fell out of their pram! :) Not going to bite :)

11. Scarface81

Scarface81 Active Member

Feb 19, 2011
    USA
    I would also love to see an iPhone version. I don't see how the small screen would be a problem - lots of point 'n' click adventure games have been released on iPhone and they work great.

12. NoThru22

NoThru22 Well-Known Member

Just finished the game and I can't wait for the next one. Really disappointed with the skipped frames in the cutscenes, but it rarely affected gameplay. I did have a problem with the scene in the lab after I put my iPad to sleep and woke it back up, everything was running at doublespeed. It also happened to be the only moment in the game where timing mattered, so it was kind of frustrating. Highly recommended unless slowdown/skipped frames bug you.

13. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    any screenshots of actual game play?
    been debating about this up for my son to play.

14. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Josh it's pretty good. I've been highly enjoying it. I was in the same boat, wondering how it looked on iPad.

Here buddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxucDUZ0jI

That sold me on the game.

15. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Josh, I have also been enjoying the game. The question of performance has not stood in the way of my enjoying the game at all. There is such an overall level of polish (forgiving the not so silky smooth framerate) that I have been quite absorbed in the game. Yes it will undoubtedly run better on the next gen ipad but I can live with it. I'm glad I went for it in he end. Between PacificSun's and my own positive comments I hope you go for it :)

16. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

The PC/Mac version is free right now. I found out about it via http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.266124-Back-to-the-Future-Episode-1-is-free-right-now

Hopefully the mods won't mind me posting this link. You can see I'm not a spambot so the link is genuine. I'm not sure how long the offer lasts for. And no, this is not for iOS but you can use this to try it out on your desktop or laptop before buying for iPad.

EDIT: Actually this is the direct link for the free purchase : http://www.telltalegames.com/cart/add/backtothefuture-bluraydemo&

17. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

currently £3.99 is this worth buying? or shall i wait for a sale

18. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks !!!

Thanks for the heads-up ! I've really been wanting to try this game, and now here it is ! I really appreciate the info, mate. :D

19. Bad Hanson

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I liked the game. Doubtless it will be smoother on iPad 2 but nitpicking aside I really enjoyed it as it was. It's worth your four quid.

20. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

As anyone tested the game on an ipad 2? Would be curious to see if it's better or not. Though even on the ps3 it's not running at full speed so most of it is telltale's own fault