iPad Babylonian Twins - The Quest for Peace in Ancient Iraq

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Touchgamer3g, Apr 8, 2010.

1. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    No haven't got that treasure! You're saying that's on Dragons? Time to go back to it!

Yep switch on Endless Loop. Okay you must only have to do it without dying, and I assume from the wording you have to get the extra life.

That makes 6/8 treasures if I get that one and you get the Endless Loop one! I'm pretty sure there's none on The Water Source, and none on The Ruined Palace.

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, there is a treasure on the Dragon level. I'll give you that much for now. Let me know how it goes, and I'll see if I can't help you out some more.

And I did get the Endless Loop treasure, so I'm sitting at 6/8 now. I have no idea where to look. Let's see if we can't track the last two down.

3. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Do the levels really last 10-20 minutes? I love platformers but with a busy school schedule, I dont think Ill have 20 minutes at a time to sit down and play one level

4. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, the levels can take anywhere from 10-20+ minutes. I think the longest I spent on a level was close to 25 minutes. Without a resume feature, you really do need to be able to spend the time to play through a full level, otherwise, you have to start at the beginning.

Given that, this is easily one of the best platformers I have played. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun. I enjoyed Giana Sisters, but I like this one a lot more. I'm really hopeful that we will see more levels in the future.

5. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    So am I, I think I'll spend a bit of lunchtime today on The Dragons :). Haven't tried Giana Sisters on the phone but I played through the old version a while back with an amstrad cpc emulator - not quite as cool as the amiga version I saw back in the day, and a bizarre ending to what little story there was, but I think I'll have to invest in it and also Plushed soon.

6. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Okay found the one on The Dragons. Based on that the last ones might be quite hard lol. Ruined Palace might not be such a bad choice to look on.

7. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, I was really surprised by the one on The Dragons. I thought I had found a bug at first. And, yes, I think the final two might be really tough given the Dragon treasure. Should be interesting.

8. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Okay 7/8, found the one in Ruined Palace in much the same manner as The Dragons. Still no luck on The Water Source. The last is called The Gift List - perhaps it is actually on one of the secret levels given that they are all about rewards on returning home.

9. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I just found the Ruined Palace treasure. Very sneaky. It would seem that the last treasure would be on Water Source, but you might be right about the secret levels, though there don't appear to be too many good hiding spots on those two.

10. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Agreed and the slightly different 3d aspect of them doesn't lend itself to walls that can be broken. Water Source it should be, I agree, but where lol? I even tried getting a fast time on it just on case. There's the area to the far right where I just can't figure out how to get up higher, but that's about it.

11. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I just stumbled across the treasure in The Ruined Palace on my first run through it, after reading the message board and realizing that I shold try weird stuff. This game is fantastic.

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm starting to think that it isn't Water Source. I played that level for awhile last night, and I couldn't find anything. I also played the procession levels, and only found the hidden platform on the first level (I believe you already found that and commented on it a few days ago).

So maybe the last treasure is on one of the Prison levels. Or, if the developers made this one really tough, it could be that one of the other levels has two treasures (including the gift list treasure). I don't know if I have the patience to go through all of the levels, again.

13. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Oh, so the replayability of this game is limited. thanks for having said that...I was going to buy babylonian twins...so now I will buy ragdoll blaster 2!

14. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    #134 jyhjyh, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
    Review from Fingergaming.com

I got this from my RSS-feed from Fingergaming.
    The link in the feed does not work and I can't find the review on the site.
    So I copied the review: (Notice the 1 star)
    ---------------------------------------------
    [ready] Review: Babylonian Twins
    fra FingerGaming af Jason

Babylonian Twins (iPhone version reviewed)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/babylonian-twins-the-quest/id366346269?mt=8

Cosmos Interactive Inc.

$2.99 iPhone, $4.99 iPad

1 star
    At first, Babylonian Twins seems like a good game ruined by bad controls, but, in the end, it’s just a bad game, which is a shame because it’s a game I could get behind. It’s hard to criticize a game with such a torn history, having been left for dead in the wreckage of Iraq only to emerge out of the desert many years later, riding on the wings of our darling digital distribution. I really wanted Babylonian Twins to be the comeback kid of interactive entertainment, but after playing it, it’s obvious someone dug up a corpse, tied rope to it, and is now walking it around like a puppet.

Initially, I wanted to blame all of my frustrations with the game on the virtual controller. After all, consistently falling off ledges and misjudging the same leaps in vaguely Arabic settings has little to do with the design of the game and everything to do with the input mechanism. I kept telling myself how much fun I would be having if I were playing with a standard control pad, how it was the right game shoehorned onto the wrong platform, but, you know, it isn’t.

babylon1

Just as many frustrations result from the design of the game as they do from the implementation of it. The practice of solving puzzles by alternating control over the two twins inevitably leads to traversing every corridor twice, especially when jumping off your partner’s head to reach higher places is a great method for solving “puzzles.” Then, there are the switch puzzles, where one twin stands on a switch that opens a door for the other to pass through. It’s a little dull, but wouldn’t be so bad if the levels weren’t designed in such a way that, with one misstep, your character falls to the furthest distance from where he needs to be.

At times, adversaries are barely distinguishable from the background, leading to a bunch of cheap hits, which whittle away at your health meter. Lose a life and the game sticks you in the most arbitrary places instead of letting you continue from where you left off. A lot of times this means you have to bring your other character all the way across these massive, directionless levels just so he can step on a stupid switch to allow your freshly revived character to proceed. Lose three lives and it’s back to the beginning of the level. Goodbye time!

Needless to say, these design woes are exacerbated by the shoddy controls, so instead of falling and having to climb back up once or twice, repeat ad nauseam. Occasionally there are bottomless pits to fall in, positioned so that they remain unseen until it’s too late. If this should happen to you, consider yourself fortunate, cut your losses, hit the home button, and never, ever look back.

Babylonian Twins costs $1.99 for iPhone, but I wouldn’t recommend it at any price. There is also an iPad version available, which I haven’t played.
    -----------------------

WUPS :)

15. foxmulderino

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    lol I don't know why, but I always consider negative comments of a game rather more than positive ones!

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I saw that, too. The complaints about the controls are bogus, and the rest of the review reads like a screed against puzzle platformers by someone who simply doesn't like them. I'm hoping that the reason it's not on the site is that a wiser editorial hand stepped in. In any event, it can be safely ignored.

17. mariano774

mariano774 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    that 1 star review is crap, this is by far the best platformer right now the controls work just fine! i was waiting for a sale on bounce 2 but im glad that didnt happened this one is so much better :)

18. DD7

DD7 Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I finished all levels but there is no access to the last world Procession Street, strange... maybe you can help me

19. foxmulderino

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    uhmm...sure? better than Giana Sisters?? can't believe that! :rolleyes:

20. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Oh, the replayability is as limited as you want it to be. You can either try to find all of the 8 treasures, or try to get a high score in OF. I've already played through all of the levels multiple times, and some of the levels even more. I was just stating that I was getting to the point where I didn't really want to go back through all of the levels, again, looking for that last treasure. But this is the one platformer, on the iDevice, that I have put the most time into.

And that review is a big pile of festering poo! As soon as I read "bad controls" I knew the person had no idea what they were talking about. I think the controls worked great, and I loved the design and puzzles in the levels. And I enjoyed this game much more than Giana Sisters (which is still another one of my favorites, though).