iPad Babylonian Twins - The Quest for Peace in Ancient Iraq

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Touchgamer3g, Apr 8, 2010.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    #21 arn, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    I know Blake put a bit of time into the iPAd version and liked it.

I just tried the iPhone version. Actually got stuck during the tutorial :) But made it through and the game feels great. The game uses a tag-team approach. Each character has it's own abilitys and you need to switch off. It really feels great.

Very positive first impressions.

Understand about the controls... but on screen virtual controls can only be so good. fortunately so far it's not a precision platformer, more a puzzle platformer, so virtual controls seem like they are ok for now - even though it can be difficult at times.

I think windburn is going to put more time into it.

arn

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Wow, this game really does look good. So much for keeping within my budget for the month of April.

3. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    This does look good and with an excellent track record preceding it and like the history as well.
    I feel myself falling into a purchase mode.
    Only thing holding me is the virtual controls. This is the deal maker/breaker for me. Maybe I'll research a bit more to see if its ok enough to play without it being much of a hindrance.:)

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Fortunately in this type of game they don't have to be as precise as in some other genres. So in playing a few levels I can safely say they get the job done. Switching characters is a breeze. Jumping is actually pretty good. At first my turn off was that it didn't appear to have a ton of levels. But in getting through the first ones I can say that the depth of these levels is worth way more than just a ton of half cooked ones. They are creative and intricate and take some thinking to get through.

The one thing I would like to see is a zoom out function to help plan your moves. One of the twins can't jump as high as the other one and in some instances gets stuck and needs to jump a little higher. When they are apart you can easily find yourself stranded.

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #25 Coldar, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks NEG........you've just sold me. And thanks for the honesty/info on the other areas you touched on as well.

6. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I've only started the tutorial, but I have found that trying to get higher jumps off of the crossbow (or whatever those bouncy things are) is challenging. Maybe it is just me, but I have to continually hit the jump button to get a higher jump -- basically, I wasn't able to get a high jump everytime (and that seems like a skill I will want to have for later levels) Am I missing something here?

7. rlcooper

rlcooper Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    DBA & Senior Web Developer
    CT
    Ditto, Downloading now. Looks great!!!

8. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Excellent puzzler. True the controls could be better but just like Alice In Wonderland there's no need to be precise. Not much of a problem there I think. And the puzzle part is really great. Highly recommended.

9. antispin

antispin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Editor, tech and gaming websites
    Bought it for the iPad. Now to wait for the iPad to get here :/

10. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Great game! I just got though the tutorial so far and I find it really enjoyable :)

You don't need to time you jump, just press and hold the jump button. It took me a while to understand how that worked.

Also, the momentum the characters have can make some moves challenging. For example, I had a hard time trying to step on the switch on the tutorial, as the character kept on going for a bit after I released the d-pad. I needed to go back and forth a few times until I got him standing where I wanted...

11. cosmos

cosmos Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Hi Mikeg123,
    You can just hold on the jump button, no need to continually pressing it.
    Thanks,

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. I figured I was missing the obvious. :) I've only been able to play for a few minutes this morning, but I'm really hoping to get into this game later this evening. I like what I've seen so far!

13. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Wow what an awesome surprise. I hadn't heard of the game before, and I've been busy still enjoying Bounce On 2. This game is really nicely polished and the controls are well done, although I don't know yet if there is a real use for the up and down on the direction pad; so far they've just confused me when I couldn't work things out and tried them :). Very good fun.

A couple of annoyances: on the iPhone the name on the home screen is truncated to "Babyl...Twins" - does the iPad have a longer field, just out of interest? It would surely have been easy to make it "BabylonTwins" which should just fit; that's one thing that always irks me. The 'Magical Drop Touch' people sorted theirs out to 'Magi Drop T', which I'm not sure was actually that great a choice lol, but at least devs are aware of such aesthetic things - hey it's part and parcel of the device! This is on par with having the app name in the icon ... as well as below it - but the TB icon doesn't suffer from that, and it is awesome.

My iPhone had a nasty crash shortly after I quit the game; specifically it was 1:30am so I thought I had better get to sleep :D so I quit to home screen then went into the Clock app and set an alarm for the morning, went back to home and locked the device. I noticed it did not make the locking sound, so I unlocked it; again no sound and suddenly no controls would work, touch or button, and I had to restart the device. Not sure if it's related to the game; first time that's happened in a long time though!

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Just spent my last $3 in credit on this game because of Squeaker's and everyone else's high recommendations. Hope its worth it.

15. cosmos

cosmos Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, we will consider them in future update. Regrading the and up and down controls, you will need them in later levels, climbing an palm tree is an example.

Regarding the crash, what is your device model ? we have not heard any such issue during our dev and beta testing or from our users so far. If you sync your iTunes with the device and there is an app crash pending, you will be prompted to send the crash report to Apple. We will receive a copy and take a look at, if it is at all related.
    Thanks,

16. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

and you are right :p

17. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I'm pretty sure it is :)

18. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Awesome, I'll see what happens re the crash report. Just finally beat the second prison level, really a lot of fun :). I'm on an iPhone 3G btw, but i happen to be posting this from my brother's iPad .. Awesome!

19. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    read through the first 2 pages, couldnt wait until the fourth (currently) to buy it. Purchased :D

20. DD7

DD7 Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Great game but I'm already stuck in the first level "The Rescue", I can't find all the four palm trees, one is still missing. Can anybody help me?