iPad Babaroga Eats Children! ($0.99)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by QuickWit, Jan 20, 2009.

1. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    #1 QuickWit, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
    Okay... when this game first came out I was really interested in it... I mean it had this really wacky name and the WTF factor of "Eats Children" had me looking at the screen like I was watching a train wreck involving clowns. Even after it faded from the TA screens I thought about it.

Then when the idea of TOFTT came along I was actually thinking about it again. This time as a game I should get because it fit a lot of the TOFTT ideas. Then look what happens... it goes on sale! The stars aligned and I had to get it.

I'll do a deeper review after I've had more than five minutes with it, but I have to say that so far it's as disturbing as I thought it would be, and, thankfully, better than I thought it would be.

The story is of some witch type thing who has no choice when the kids escape but to eat them... sounds logical. And in the game you can play as Babaroga or the children. The basic game play is the kids trying to get out the gate and Babaroga trying to eat them. Movement is done by jumping from lilly pad (I think) to lilly pad to get where you're going (gate or kid). The pads sink and if you jump on one that is sunk, you go down as well.

If the kids reach the gate they runaway and if Babaroga reaches a kid... well, she eats them. I played as the witch and it was bizarrely fun chasing down the kids before they reached the gate. The graphics are pretty good and the music adds a lot. Other sounds are also all good.

Looks like you can also cast a spell on the kids that holds them in place for a little while so you can hop to them. This game is one of the strangest games I've seen on the store, and I'm trying to see which part of me wins out... the part that actually likes this game, or the part that is a little sick to my stomach about the whole thing.

I'll let you know more later and hopefully have a video up soon.

Full version ($0.99)
    Lite version (FREE)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    you know there is a lite version? I swear I found one just now I'm on my iPod so no link sorry

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was about to make that same post. I'm on my iPhone too and can't post the link.

The lite version came out either last night or this morning. It's and intersting game, though a little slow. And, yes, you eat children and it is bloody.

4. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    #4 Ahiru, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
    [app=Babaroga Eats Children! Lite]App Store link for lite version[/app]

5. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, when I saw the lite version yesterday I had one thought... killing and eating children! This sounds like a game for me! (disturbing I know)

I haven't had time to try it out yet but I am looking forward to it.

6. QuickWit

Oct 28, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Yeah... sorry, I was going to mention the Lite Version, but hit the submit button before I remembered.

I got the real version so I could give my thoughts on the real game and have time with it. The Lite Version is good for four minutes. I needed more time so I decided to get the full version.

It's a pretty interesting little puzzle game, and if you're not into eating the children you can always play as the kids and run away!

7. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Well the Agent did his job :)
    I salute

8. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Good work Mr. QuickWit. You've served your community well

9. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    It seems to refer to Baba Yaga, a child-eater witch. I had a tale about her on a book when I was I child and it scared the crap out of me. I'm going to try the lite version.

10. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, I think it is a Russian folk story. I'll have to google it so that I can read it to my god daughter and her brothers. Those little brats could use a good scare!

11. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Also brings back memories of a childrens story called "Hansel and Gretel", where they need to escape from a witch in the woods who wants to pop them in the oven and eat them. Great subject matter for a childrens story, eh? No wonder I'm so screwed up!

12. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Ok, what is the purpose of this TOFTT thing? It is getting annoying, with you reviewing stupid apps that nobody would have ever considered buying in the first place. Do this with questionable apps, like new apps, maybe Sway, or Rolando? Not this garbage.

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    It's a new fad on the forums, really more of a clique. They review crummy apps that no one else will touch (or shouldn't touch), in hopes to find a "hidden gem" among all of the trash. Games like Sway and Rolando are already well made to a point where buying one isn't similar to 'taking a bullet' for someone else. It's a little annoying how elitist some of the TOFTT are acting, but I personally just ignore the annoyance. The reviews are somewhat entertaining and may prove useful.

14. QuickWit

Oct 28, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I'm not so sure that this is a game that "no one would consider in the first place". It was an interesting looking, and sounding game, that gave no real indication as to how it was played. I'm sure that there were more than a few people who were at least a little curious about this game, but passed on it because there was no real idea of what it was.

TOFTT helps the curious to give them a little more depth as to what it is and whether or not it's worth getting. "Rate My Kiss" is a game I never would have gotten, but now I've actually had some fun with it. If I'd seen a review on Babaroga when it came out I might have bought it then because it's actually a pretty fun game.

And, to be honest... I can't believe that ANY review would be "annoying". We are all wondering what is out there and what is worth spending our money on. If it's a review of a game that doesn't interest you in any way, my suggestion is to not read the review. The fact that you did gives me the idea that you wanted to know what the game was about... thereby making the review worthwhile.

15. QuickWit

Oct 28, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Just saw the post about TOFTT having some elitist tendencies. I'm sorry if any thing I've written has come off that way. I'm not trying to come across that way, I'm just trying to make it seem fun. Anyone can TOFTT so there is hardly any elite status. I will try to watch how I present things in the future.

But you're right about looking at games that might not be getting the big press. We often feel that we have to buy the next Rolando and that means that we don't have money for something that could be just as fun for a lot less money. TOFTT is also there to give an objective view at games that people are curious about but don't want to pull the trigger on a purchase.

We'll see how it goes... it might very well be a fad and go away. But what I'd really like to see is more people expressing their opinions on games. TOFTT was just a way to give it somewhat of a rallying cry.

16. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #16 Donburns99, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    Oh, that wasn't directed at you or the fact that it's some kind of "status". Over the past day or two I've just noticed some members acting superior, pushy, or egotistic due to being in TOFTT or somehow mentioning the group in their posts. It's nothing serious, just something I noticed, that probably wouldn't occur if not for the group.

I do however like the group, as there is a lot of applications and games that get lost in the flood that is the AppStore. Some fantastic games get ignored, while some crummy games get a lot of press. That is a shame and it looks like TOFTT is trying to help in that aspect somewhat and give some of those lost games some time they deserve. To find them though, a lot of bad games have to be sifted through, which seems to be the point of the group to begin with! :D

17. babaroga

babaroga Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Babaroga Eats Children

Hi, Thanks everyone who supports our app. I think that QuickWit nailed it in his description of appeal of the app. Thank you very much for that review.

To set the record straight(er), let me try and give you brief background info on Babaroga and the child eating business. She, the old woman, yields from southern Europe, from Slavic folklore – that is her domain. The story has it that she comes out at night, from under the bed of a naughty child, and..well..eats it. When I was younger, god knows, I cleaned my room many times motivated by images of Babaroga invoked by my parents.

Our story has a little of revisionism in it – I admit. We chose to have her take the kids to her hut first, before she eats them. And we gave the kids a fighting chance – a chance *real* babaroga does not give. It’s like Hansel and Gretel, but with a ‘better’ ending.

Understanding that there are people who squirm at the idea of eating children, we have also provided the opportunity for people to ‘save the children’. Since children are our future, and they are very precious – even though they may be naughty – there is an opportunity to help them.

And when you save a lot of them, or eat a lot of them - the key here is that you do ‘a lot’ of something – the game tweets about you. If you follow ‘babarogatweet’ you can see your score in all glory.

As for those of you who got upset by the content after playing ‘Babaroga Eats Children’ – well… I am sorry. I thought the name was descriptive enough about what the game is about – it is called ‘Babaroga Eats Children’…and well, that is what she does…she *does* eat children…that *is* what she does.

And lastly, some of you may wonder if she is real. My answer is yes on two counts: She is a legal entity recognized by US courts, and she has a US Tax id. I know this because I work for her. And if she pays taxes, then she must be real (and alive)….so…make sure you clean your rooms, I suppose.

Andreja Djokovic
    Babaroga minion
    http://www.babaroga.com

18. friendlytoaster

friendlytoaster Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Programmer
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Woot!

Do I get a cookie now?

19. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

lol almost 6 months later....haha

it was an interesting bump from the depths of the forum. :)

20. babaroga

babaroga Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Hey, Friendy Toaster, nice score – but cookies are for closers! If you keep it up, you may get a Babaroga action figure!

Jchampl - Depths is where she usually comes from to get her thrills ;)

We have a trailer that we posted if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_SzCoxrXY