Universal B-Grade Renegade (by muzboz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Oct 18, 2017.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Love the idea of cars having different stats. #
    Hate the car controls though. #

Changing from a virtual twin joystick control for your character to a four button control for a car is really jolting.
    And having the controls behave differently depending on whether your car is facing north or south is just making that worse. I will admit that twin shooters are not my normal style of game and so it is probably just a personal problem.
    But why did the controls have to be different for a car?
    Why not just continue using the joystick to control it?
    I am now really struggling trying to keep playing the game because you have to drive those *^+%^ cars at some time to progress....and so far that is where I die everytime. ☹️

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I have played for a few minutes and also had trouble with car control. Maybe we get used to it after a while? But the change was abrupt gameplay wise.

3. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Game Designer, King, and Lord of the Realm
    Melbourne, Australia
    Car controls

I did try several different controls, but I found this solution to be the best.

Obviously having gamepad support would make it better! But most players don't have one, so it needs to work on the screen.

I think the driving controls are something you can acclimatize to fairly quickly, but yes, you do have to get into the flow of jumping in and out of cars, and making the switch.

If you do find the car controls taking a bit to get used to, you can generally just jump out of the car at the beginning of a mission (which keeps the car safe anyway!), complete the mission on foot, and only really use the car for JUMPS missions, where you can drive forwards the whole time.

But I swear you get used to it pretty quick. :) No longer than a year of nightly training is required! ;D

4. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Renegade Radio - Outtakes & Extras!

You all might enjoy these Outtakes & Extras from my Voice Over recording with Brendan Barnett (@VoiceUnboxing) for Renegade Radio which plays throughout my game...

Renegade Radio - Outtakes & Extras

Brendan improvised most of these outtakes, and they cracked me up! But there's only so many clips I could fit into the game.

I love the ones with Snake Plissken having a sort of midlife crisis.

5. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Absolutely love the reference to Snake :)

6. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Haha! Yeah, we had so much fun that day. Brendan is really funny, he has a background and a degree in acting, and improv, and he's also the Dungeon Master in D&D that I'm playing with some other game dev friends! And he does all these great voices and stuff. AMAZING.

There's another Snake Plissken take in part 3 of the Outtakes and Extras too, which I love.

But yeah, "Snake Plissken's Nudist Gunshot, come in, it's all on display, sale on handguns, I'll throw in a free eyepatch." ... Hahaha.

7. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #47 JohnnyClash, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Loving the game!

One thing is definitely making it a bit annoying though.

The load time for a mission is between 12-17 seconds (on average), then the same amount of wait time is needed to return back the map after a mission is completed... With one short mission, I have almost 1 minute of combined wait time.

Is this a bug, or are the load screens just super slow for everyone?

Iphone 7+ (11.0.3)

8. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    same on iPhone SE.

9. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
  10. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Load"*",8,1

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game!

Those load times do sound a bit longer than I'd expect.

I've been testing on an iPhone 6S, and to load into a mission it takes 8 seconds before the title screen appears (eg: "Rescue"), then another 4 or 5 seconds for the level to be fully procedurally generated, and then it fades in. So all up it takes about 13 seconds to load and generate a mission. That's similar to the time you're getting on iPhone 7+.

But to get back to the main menu, on iPhone 6S, it only takes about 7 or 8 seconds, which seems quite a bit faster than what you're seeing on iPhone 7+. I would have expected it to be faster on 7+ than a 6S!

In general, the load times take a little while because of loading in the various radio voice files, the music, and the various tips images and whatnot.

11. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Loving this game so far... has that gauntlet feel
    also you can be very tactful too and thats a good thing
    first couple runs I went in guns blazing on purpose to get the mechanics down now i am being serious ha

good work!

12. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Gettin' serious!

Haha, yeah, it's good to just run in and get a feel for it, blast some stuff.

But it does take some strategy and wisdom to get through to the rocket!

- MUZBOZ :D

13. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the clarification. I figured there might be some extended loading due to the randomness of the levels, voices and such. I mainly wanted to make sure it wasn’t a problem on my end. I can live with it if need be. These days, I’m just used to a lot snappier loading Interfaces.

The game play is fun enough to bring me back for another run. ;)

14. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    They did a great job of creating an apocalyptic world of destruction and desolation and I loved the Mad Max vibe.

The gameplay itself is a mix of strategy and shoot em up and its a pretty fun ride one you get the hang of it and that brings me to my issues with the game

The controls need work, having different controls for driving vs walking really took me out of the moment and I died constantly. But after I took some time to focus on the controls themselves I got better and was able to complete missions.

It’s a good game but you’ll need to invest the time to really get the best out of it

15. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    #55 MUZBOZ, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Leaderboards Challenge - Win the Classic Cards pack! (x5)

Hi guys!

For anyone who hasn't yet made it to the end of the game, and gotten on the leaderboards, here's a challenge for you! (For people who don't yet own the Classic Cars pack, or want another free code to give to a friend).

I know it's a challenge to get to the end! But hey, that's the point of the game.

"The world's gonna blow! And you gotta escape, lest you die here."

For the first 5 people on iOS to reach the rocket, and get on the leaderboards (either under "Total Run Score" or "Boosted Run Score" -> it's fine to use a booster crate or two if you want), you can contact me and let me know your Game Center username, and if I see you on the leaderboards, then BAM! I'll give you the Promo Code to unlock the Classic Cars pack!

This gives you a free 6x sweet Classic Cars to cruise the wastelands in style. :)

[​IMG]

- Murray

PS: Feel free to share tips and tricks for getting further, keeping your ammo and supplies up, and avoiding death, here on this thread! :D

PPS: Seeing as I've already given out some Classic Cars codes to some of my favorite players already, you can also choose to receive a Large Booster Pack of 20 Booster Crates to go berzerk with, if you'd prefer. Winner's choice! :)