Universal B-Grade Renegade (by muzboz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Oct 18, 2017.

1. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Game Designer, King, and Lord of the Realm
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rock on!

Rock on Dankrio! Hope you love the game. :)

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #22 stubbieoz, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Any chance of MFi compatability?
    While the touch controls are very good I think I would prefer using a controller.

The game is a lot of fun, even though I keep dying after every couple of missions lol.
    I have to learn to stop wasting them bullets. #

Edit;
    I just remembered you can shoot by touching the enemies and objects. Now I'm not wasting nearly as many bullets. #

3. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    No gamepad support

Yeah, unfortunately, there's no gamepad support! It would be nice.

But yes, tapping on the central area for more accurate shooting definitely helps, when you're trying to save bullets.

The soldiers can be tricky to hit, when they keep running away if you get too close! But even on the D-pad, you can get a knack for seeing which way they're running, and leading them with a few good shots. :)

ENJOY!

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha you sound a lot like me but i had a ZX Spectrum. Love those 8 bit years ! Got a MAME cab (Jamma board) with 600 games on, missing a few faves but its still amazing. Love it.

Enjoying the game a lot, 'some' of the text could be a fraction bigger which would be good. But yeah it really reminds me of Gauntlet/Dandy and i'm looking forward to seeing the later levels.

5. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ace! Yeah, some of the text is a little small on the iPhone, I could tweak up the "1000 miles left in 18 days" text, in particular I think.

I never had a ZX Spectrum, I understand they were very big in the UK. I grew up with a household "IBM Compatible" that our family got around 1983, and I loved all the variety of games like Alley Cat, Digger, King's Quest, Ancient Art of War, and later the Space Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys, Defender of the Crown, and heaps of stuff from the Atari 2600 (Combat, Wizard of Wor!), C64, and the amazing Amiga (Speedball 2, North & South, Midwinter, Populous, and of course It Came from the Desert, which was also one of the inspirations of my game B-Grade Renegade!).

I got super excited when phone games grew into Java games, which really reminded me of the Amiga games era, and later iPhones and Android, which remind me of Amiga/SNES/Megadrive style games, too. It was definitely exciting to see a return of the bedroom coder, small teams working on things that can be more personal, quirky, old-school, or whatever one wants!

It was around that time (2011), when I quit my job at Firemint (where we made Flight Control, Real Racing, and SPY Mouse, among other things) to try to make my own games! 6 years later, I've finally finished this game that I started that year! Phewf, it's been a long ride, and I'm excited about tackling more interesting and experimental / innovative projects in the future.

PS: Have you watched "From Bedrooms to Billions", a doco about the British Video Games industry from 1979 to present day? Very cool. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIdkHIMbOQ

They did another follow up more recently specifically about "The Amiga Years" too. I love that stuff!!! The Amiga was amaaaaazing.

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Ohhh no my post didn’t go :( ugh! The website logged me out while I was typing it and I lost it

7. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Ok I’ll just do it as short as possible again. First hats off this game is amazing I love it and 1.99 is a steal . I only played maybe 45 mins or an hour and very slowly so I only got to the second area there’s a few things I’d love to see added in. Melee as an alternative for those times you’re out of ammo and for some reason can’t get more when you need it. Melee would be good to have to bust open supply crates if need be. Punching or knifing a zombie is always fun. As far as missions I’d like to see the occasional boss mission like “a giant fat exploder zombie is terrorizing the local town/residence dispatch it for a reward” or something along those lines, the exploder zombie was just an example, in a world with monsters and mutated animals there’s all kinds of ideas for bosses. Another mission where you drive around shooting other enemies driving around twisted metal style would also be really fun.

8. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    For anyone thinking about it. Get it. If you like twin stick shooters, post apocalyptic scenarios, survival/stress of running out of ammo. It’s like if GTA Chinatown wars and DR2C had a baby :p

9. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Haha! AWESOME.

Haha! Awesome. I love these ideas dbagga84.

Really glad you like it. Feeling all this appreciation of the game really makes it feel worth while putting the time into making a game that I thought I'd want to play myself!

I'm writing down those ideas for a sequel / follow up, mate! As someone else said above, it'd be ace to have one set in a post-apocalyptic Australia, which perhaps happens at the same time as this game, but in a different location, with some different scenarios and monsters, etc.

I did want to do some other creatures like a classic roguelike "bloat" thing, that splits into two smaller ones, when you kill it, and other dynamic multi-stage enemies like that. Hehe, great stuff!

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What i would love (probably a bit of a dream !) is a game like this but with say 'caves' or bases. Once you enter a cave its like a mini top down gauntlet style level. So similar to what you have now but a shorter small level

Say you entered a town icon then it expands to another top down view and you can enter shops to upgrade your weapon or buy new weapons or get side quests etc.

A lot of these games have just the main map, be great if you could 'drill' down further into mini levels in a town/cave etc. Just an idea !

11. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #31 Dailon80, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    I’m clearing it now ha go ahead and send
    I am playing on ios11.1 beta and iPhone 6s Plus
    Clear now :)
    Also love the accent in your vids
    Also love the sequel set in Australia idea

12. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    ourstanding game. reminds me of the indie classic "iji" by Deniel Remar. 5/5. and dear mister developer, just continue work on this one!

MUZBOZ likes this.
  13. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Hm it sounds like you’re looking for something like ashworld. It’s similar to what you suggest. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out. The only difference is when you go in to buildings and caves and stuff the game changes from top down shooter to side scroll action platformer but it’s a complete open post apocalyptic world with survivors and missions and grabbing random cars and stuff I’ve been watching it for a long time , it’s comin in December for IOS.

14. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    I dunno I prefer the American setting. We’re the closest to a real world apocalypse right now so it hits a little closer to home, although we won’t be having zombies and mutated animals we are headed towards ruin. The only upside I can see to Australia is shooting down zombie-Roos . That’d be fun ;) it would however be refreshing to one day see a different setting, I’m down.

15. Chuckrogue

Chuckrogue New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Any way to fix the IAP trap???? Ran out of ammo, no way of getting more without buying the IAP crates. Shops dont appear unless you complete the mission, which is impossible without ammo.

16. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tips for using less ammo

G'day Chuckrogue,

I've had some suggestions about ways to get out of the "running out of ammo issue" like having a chopper drop off some ammo to the player if they're out of ammo for 30 seconds or something, which I might add at some point.

But to be honest, it's mainly only a problem when you first start playing, and you're getting your strategies together.

There's actually lots of bullets around, in crates, near houses, and popping out of dead enemies.
    And if you conserve your ammo a bit, you definitely don't need to buy Booster Crates. :) The game is really designed to be at the correct challenge level without using Booster Crates.

Some tips and tricks
    You can run away from the soldiers a bit more often, as they're the ones who are hard to hit! Or hide in the trees, and catch 'em by surprise and clean 'em up before they run off or shoot at you. :)

There's definitely not meant to be any pressure to buy Booster Crates!

Even if you do run out of ammo, you can try to draw the baddies under the acid clouds, to have it zap them, and they might drop ammo, which you can grab.

Gas Puddle Fires
    Another neat trick (although you do need some ammo to use it), is to tap the fuel icon on the left while you're on foot, and you'll drop a puddle of fuel on the ground. You can drop as much as you want, then shoot it to light it up, causing a trap that'll burn monsters, and even destroy buildings, meaning you save ammo if you're running low! :)

Summary of ways to save ammo
    Overall, once you've played a few times, you can come up with plenty of strategies to not run low on ammo, you've just gotta be accurate with your shooting, don't necessarily try to kill everything (until you've built up more supplies), grab a car as soon as possible and you can squash more monsters with it and also avoid getting hurt by staying in the car whenever possible, you can hide in the trees to keep more control of the battlefield, and you can also use fuel (or forest fires) to burn up monsters while using much less ammo, if need be. :)

ENJOY!

Murray
    MUZBOZ Games

17. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    #37 MUZBOZ, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Enviro-political satire

Hehehe. Oh man, too true.

The game is definitely meant to be a bit of a fun political satire, which is becoming more and more resonant as the days go by.

I always loved the Dr Seuss story "The Lorax" as a kid, and I guess it's somewhat my homage to that, among my other inspirations for the game. :)

18. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you

Thank you so much Raravan, that means so much to me.

It really is so pleasing to see people enjoying the game.

The more that people seem to like it, the more my notepad is squiggling away with ideas. :D

19. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    #39 MUZBOZ, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Great to see everyone enjoying the game!

20. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    #40 MUZBOZ, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    SURVIVAL TIPS - Cars!

To celebrate the first weekend that the game is out, here's a few tips for surviving on your trip to the rocket!

GRAB A CAR!

* Always get a car on the first mission of your run. The game guarantee that there is a mission available that has deserted cars. Choose it! Find a car before finishing the mission! It'll give you a travel bonus each turn, so you'll get further!

* You can put more fuel in the car if it gets low, by tapping (and holding down) on the fuel gauge on the right, or on your fuel supply icon on the left.

* Maximise the time throughout your whole run, that you have a car, you won't make it to the rocket if you spend too much time travelling on foot.

* ESCAPE missions are great for getting extra travel distance, but they're risky, and your whole run could end abruptly if you land in a chasm! But generally they're worth the risk for the extra miles. Just make sure your car has enough fuel for the run, and that it's got plenty of durability left, lest it explodes before you make it to safety!

I've created a little Vehicle Guide to show some info about the strengths and weaknesses of the cars in the game. :)

[​IMG]