Universal AVP: Evolution - (by Fox Digital Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SmackDatButt

SmackDatButt Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Can people please stop talking about irrelevant topics like the Vita?

2. #82 Connector, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Graphics are cool in this game, my concern though is a little more in the gameplay, now that some of you downloaded it, what you all think?

3. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Has anyone been able to run this on a 4th gen iPod Touch? Yeah, yeah, I know the device is pretty much a relic already - I'm already saving up for a 64GB 5th gen one - but I've just finished downloading it, and even though I can run the app, it crashes as soon as the loading screen disappears to start up a level. Technical limitations aside - since the device meets the app requirements - I found this strange, and I wondered if this happened with anyone else...

4. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    App description in the UK store says it's not supported.

5. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Achievements?

6. jtfields

jtfields Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I got the old AVP game running just fine on a non-jailbroken iPad 2 using Gridlee.

As for the new game, I know my son is going to have to have it so I'm definitely interested in some reviews of the game. He didn't care too much for the Predators game.

7. Kinda surprised that no one is posting any impressions other than me and Exact Pscience. Anyone?

8. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Absolutely will - when they quit making stupid freemium/IAP games. Yes, anyone who constantly complains about this absolutely has the right to. Stop complaining to the whiners, start complaining to the money-grabbing freemium developers.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Unfortunately, hearing what type of IAP model is in a game before you part with your money is par for the course these days, it's handled so differently by different developers that it pays to be informed.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Played a bit more, and i stick to my impressions. Game has high polish and really plays well, but it is lacking mechanics that will make it stand out from other brawlers. Despite that, it is still a high quality game. I like it, im sure i'll get to finish everything in this one.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not really sure how I feel about this. Alien vs. Predator was one of my favorite arcade games, so being disappointed this is essentially a brawler is not really part of it. I don't know what it is...it just feels disjointed and the combat isn't really satisfying, but it's somewhat starting to get interesting with some side-scrolling bits and minor wall and vent crawling. It's bugging me because I love The Gods, and while the combat in that is much deeper (so far), the repetition never sinks in (in my opinion, of course)...while in this case (AVP), there are a few more game mechanics, yet the game feels somewhat stagnant and repetitious right from the get-go. Dunno. :/

12. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Played an hour and it didn't grab me at all at first but then I bought a heavy melee weapon and the combat became much more fun. A lot of the game impressions (mine included) are from early levels but I suspect it gets better as it goes on. There are a lot of weapons and perks in the shop etc. The beta testers obviously loved it.

Graphics are bob on too!

13. Disjointed is a good word, it is like they tried to mix and match all these totally different styles of play, with a lack of cohesion. And with all this game diversity, for some reason the repetition sinks in fast, don't know exactly what it is, but maybe it is because I expected oh so much more from both this and RR3. So while not bad, I would just say meh, with nice graphics. I enjoy Dead Trigger far more.

Gods the more I play it, is a blast, but it has one main game theme and style. I honestly think AVP just tries to do too much, if they had stuck to a game model like Wild Blood, Deadspace, or Dead Trigger, the game would have been better and more fun. Sometimes when you mix too many flavors together, instead of nirvana, you get meh.

14. That's kind of what I wonder, if after playing with it a long time, that it really opens up and shines. Gods rebellion was kind of similar, the first 10 minutes was kind of not too impressive for me, but after that, it got alot better, and by the 30 minute mark, I started to think it was great.

I always take beta testers comments with a grain of salt. It is very easy to become very pro developer when you are a beta tester, it is natural. Plus they investigate a lot of time and energy playing the game, so their experience is often different from the casual gamer.

But anyway, I do hope the game does pick up after awhile. Would be curious to hear Metalcasket's impressions after playing a bit more.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Even though I haven't touched the game since my last post, I'm just getting giddy remembering that I started playing as a frickin' Facehugger and can't wait to play some more when I have time. If that's not an indication that the game (even if I don't even realize it yet) has won me over, then I don't know what is. Anyways, I'll post some more later in the day. ;)

16. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Do you guys have many games on your devices? If you delete and then reinstall a different app do the devices ever slow down like a PC does? I've always been one to keep my devices with as little apps on as possible lol though that's just my OCD!

17. When I got 750 apps on my new ipad, 64 gb, installing and deleting apps started taking forever. So I reduced my apps to less than 500 and it has been ok.

18. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    PCs traditionally slow down because they have a HDD. However, modern devices like phones and tablets with flash/SSD storage, this should theoretically never be an issue.

19. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I understand but if I'm going to lay out cash I want to know what it will REALLY cost me if you get my drift. Gameplay these days is restricted so before making an educated decision we really need to know just how much actual gameplay fun we get for the $5 price and whether the best parts are being tied to IAP.

20. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    @metalcasket & Connector:
    How's this compared to Gods Rebellion gameplay-wise?

The graphics look really cool but I just wanna make sure the gameplay is good too.

Predators (by the same devs) was ok for a while but then got boring and repetitive, especially since you're only slashing enemies in the same area (closed space at that too) again and again. The opposite of Gods Rebellion (meh at first but gets interesting later on)

If the gameplay is as good as Gods Rebellion I'm getting this asap :)