Universal AVP: Evolution - (by Fox Digital Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With my backlog continuing to grow, I'll probably hold off on this for now even though, if anything, it still sounds better than most games tied to movie franchises.

2. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Sounds great. Looking forward to this.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    If anything, at least look at the company's track record. They make some great games. I expect there to be IAP because that's the new thing but the difference is whether there is a paywall or not (which I'm pretty positive AvP doesn't).

I'd buy this just to support the devs because they actually know how to make good Predator games at least. I have to say I absolutely loved the Predators game on iOS even if it lacks real depth or story. This game offers strong core gameplay and more to come. You may be disappointed in fighting complexity but it was made on purpose to play somewhat as a brawler type game.

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #64 Adams Immersive, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    I'm interested in this, and I won't put it down for being something different from what I personally want.

But what I personally want is something like the awesome first-person shooter AvP games. Three species, and brilliantly handled: you found yourself acting JUST like a human, alien, or predator from the movies. Not because you had no choice, but because the strengths and weaknesses of each race, and the overall presentation, made you FEEL like each race from the films, and acting like the films is simply what worked best.

Example: as the Alien, you COULD run straight at humans across an open lit floor. But they'll mow you down. So instead you crawl up a wall behind their back, and across the ceiling, and then you pounce! Powerful yet requiring careful stealth all at once.

Or as a human, you'd toss flares everywhere and fear the darkness, conserving ammo, and panicking at a glimpse of a face hugger running behind a desk.

You'd also have to use different tactics depending on which race you were fighting. As a human, when you saw a sudden red flash in the distance, it meant a Predator laser was right ON you, and the shot was coming any second.

I'd love to get back to that! AvP II had an awesome-sounding multiplayer mode where aliens would start as facehuggers and work their way up to being a monstrous Queen. And of course there were different kinds of Aliens: Predalien hybrids, fast dog-like ones, classic ones, etc.

In the AvP FPS games (I only played AvP I, missed AvP II) you got to be more or less the "good guy" as all THREE races (human included), which was interesting since they were three aspects of the same story.

5. #65 Connector, Feb 28, 2013
    Adams Immersive

You do realize that this game is not a First Person Shooter right? It's kind of an odd mix of wild blood style with a third person shooter mixed in. I think some people wanted a dead space like game, some people wanted a FPS shooter type game, some people wanted a Wild Blood type game.

In the end, you get this game, an odd mix of alot of different styles, but I personally think it would have been better off in one set style. I personally was hoping more for a Deadspace type game with a story and cool fighting.

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Game looks promising for 3rd person gaming fans like myself.:D. How does it play and look on the iPhone 4? Anyone know?

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Yes. What I want need not be an FPS, it could be third-person, or even some crazy mix (?) but I like how in the classic FPS games you really had to ACT like the different races, in a way very true to the movies and very fun.

This one doesn't sound like it's trying to do that. But may be good fun in its own way even so.

8. Sorry, my iphone is way too full to load this. It runs really well framerate and graphics wise on my ipad 3, it is kind of a graphics demanding game, so it may have some problems on an iphone 4, but I better let someone else who has it loaded tell ya.

I am curious tonight to see how people like both this game and RR3 tonight, it is a big release day, and curious to see what people buy and how they like the games. I am sure if you are a big 3rd person shooter fan, you may like this. Let us know.

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

I love my iPhone 4, Connector, going on 2 years with no problems or complaints. I'll wait for some reviews before I commit to downloading this. :D

10. Wootus

Wootus Active Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Artist
    I can't believe no one's mentioned the old arcade AVP beat em up!

How does this compare to that? That game was awesome even though most of the negatives people have been saying about this game (limited combos, button mashing, go from point A to B) could have applied to that.

After the nightmare that was Aliens Colonial Marines I'm dying for a good Aliens game

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I too am interested in finding out how this runs on an iPhone 4. I've been wanting a good game from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play as a human against aliens. But until I hear how this one plays, I'll tide myself over with some classic Alien Breed gameplay and keep on pretending its officially licensed!

12. Arcade game is much better in my opinion.

13. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    #73 sabin1981, Feb 28, 2013
    Um. What? No, no it really doesn't. First off iOS is just the operating system, as for the hardware, the Vita is packing a 2Ghz ARM9 quad paired with quad SGX543MP4+ --- the most powerful iOS device out right now would be the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and they have the A6, a custom 1.3Ghz dual-core chip (that isn't as fast as the Snapdragon 4, which is a 1.5Ghz dual-core ARM9 derivative called Krait) and a tri-core SGX543MP4. So, as far as physical specifications go, the Vita is a great deal more powerful than even the iPhone 5. The iDevices have the edge on RAM though, packing 1GB for iPad3/4/iPhone5, compared to 512MB on the Vita. iPad 4 ups the game with the A6x (adding a quad-core SGX554 and increasing CPU clock to 1.4Ghz)

Let's have less of that "iDevices are more powerful" silliness thanks :p

~edit~

Sorry, my apologies, it seems the A6 is running at 1.3Ghz and not 1Ghz.

As for the game; thanks as always Sanuku! Your vids are excellent and always a great indicator of game worth <3

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Of course touch 4 is not supported

15. gamer9870

gamer9870 New Member

Feb 28, 2013
    #75 gamer9870, Feb 28, 2013
    3D

Downloading now and im pumped, little scared cause usually 3D games usually dont control well. Anyone whos played the beta pls respond if the controls are good.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #76 JBRUU, Feb 28, 2013
    I struggle to determine whether this is trollbait or not. If you have something you want to discuss, in the future don't speak in such a condescending tone.

Now, let's step back and look at a few facts. First of all, you're throwing out specs on the CPU. Sorry buddy, but that's largely irrelevant for gaming, it mostly handles physics and AI, generally speaking. The GPU is how you determine what a device can do (if there actually was a way to determine a device's full potential, that is). The excellent GPUs in iOS devices are the main reason why their chipsets generally perform better than their Android counterparts (like the A5 vs the Tegra 3) in terms of gaming capability. Refer here and here for the breakdown of the iPad 4's GPU versus the Vita's. Keep in mind that the iPad 3 shares an identical GPU (sans some vram) and iPhone 5's GPU has almost identical performance to the iPad 3's.

When I said "iOS", I was referring to the platform and the leading devices (iPhone 5 & iPad 4) as a whole.

17. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    #77 sabin1981, Feb 28, 2013
    Well I certainly seem to have attracted one, it appears. That article you posted? It was sourced from VentureBeat, known Apple fanboys and the author of the article gets soundly destroyed in the comments section. You'll also notice that I said the iPad4 ups the game with the addition of a quad 554 as opposed to the dual/tri SGX chips in previous models and compared to the quad 543.

We're done here. Keep believing whatever you wish.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    :rolleyes:

Clock speeds and Gflops don't lie. I'm merely posting the first two articles I found on Google. By all means find some of your own.

Please refrain to referring to or implying that anyone is a "fanboy". Timeouts have been given for namecalling such as that.

This is wholly off topic, if you so desire create a thread in the lounge.

19. While I think you two are comparing Apple and Oranges, I still would much rather have my new ipad over a Vita, and sales figures would back me up.

Attached Files:

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    That's my favorite arcade game of all time. Seriously. So I don't think anything will ever top it. I couldn't even get an jailbreak to run that sucker. Anyhow, this isn't really comparable. Sure they both are "beat em up" but a 2d beat em up and 3d beat em up play completely different. That one felt like a mix of a beat em up and a capcom fighter game (well it was made by capcom!). This one is a more classic run around and use your weapons to kill everything.

Graphics are amazing as you'd expect..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]