Universal AVP: Evolution - (by Fox Digital Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    iPod touch 4?

2. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Will we ever have a thread that doesn't discuss IAP when a new game comes out? Unreal

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There were.

4. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I miss those days. Looking forward to this game. Roll on 11 PM

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ?

So is it 19 different levels to play as an alien and 19 other levels as a predator or how does that work? Looks awesome!

6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    You need "honor points" to upgrade stuff, and there's a "get points" button so I assume it's the same old IAP crap. For those asking about IAP...

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #27 undeadcow, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    I beta tested Alien Versus Predator: Evolution and can confirm it looks as great as those screenshots and plays smoothly on my iPod Touch 5G. The graphic detail is very impressive. It can feel "button mashy" as times and recycles enemies a tad much, like most brawlers, but is a lot of fun. One of the coolest parts of it is the fatality system, when an enemy gets low on health you can perform a gruesome finishing move. Also, there is a robust combo system adding depth to the two button combat controls. There are really nice plot touchs built in to the story (for example, you get to play as a facehugger in the early levels mirroring the developmental evolution of your character). AVP is worth your $4.99 because the controls are responsive, graphics immersive, and you get to play as Alien/Predator (even after playing the game for a while I feel thrilled to see a reasonable AVP game).

IAP was not avaliable in the beta and I did not feel encumbered.

This was developed by Angry Mob Games, who also made the acclaimed Predators app. They know what they are doing and have come a long way.
    The uncompressed size of the last beta build was 773mb.
    You will be satisfied with the 19 total levels (split between Alien/Predator) for $4.99; there's not much added value content but the game is fun and not short. Some of the early levels are brief because they are essentially plot set-up so there are actually fewer core game levels.

8. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Looking the pictures i should say: INSANE!!

...i'm curious to see it in action, it looks more than promising but
    i'll wait for a video!

Looking at the price I hope to not find the usual absurd IAP money eater mechanism...

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

10. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    Thanks sanuku!!

11. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Oh, lots of them. Runs to either $49.99 or $99.99 I think. AND each alien and predator have their own set of virtual currency!!!

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #32 Rip73, Feb 27, 2013
    ^100%
    Undeadcow got it spot on.
    Visually amazing game that is a lot of fun with plenty to do.
    Iap is irrelevant unless you want to speed acquisitions up, it never impacts on gameplay and is never needed as you'll earn for the extras simply by playing anyway.
    A must buy. It is Aliens and Predators in one game after all.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #33 JBRUU, Feb 27, 2013
    Reluctant to pick this up. Convince me otherwise:

1) First impressions by STP and others indicate that the game's combat is very button mashy - how bad is it? One button for attack like TDKR? Ugh.

2) Graphics do look good in terms of models and textures, but I'm annoyed but the lack of realtime shadows and some basic lighting effects. Come on, iOS has better hardware than the PS Vita.

3) How bad is the IAP? Can you upgrade everything in one playthrough without buying any?

Edit: ah, Rip. Didn't see you there, good to see ya again. How is combat handled? Like Batman from Gameloft, or better? I just mainly want assurances that this isn't a one-button masher.

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I feel your pain, but I think many of us are understandably leery of any game with IAP nowadays. The model of the App Store is becoming increasingly dependent on micro transactions. This is distressing to many of us, myself included. I think these conversations will end only when the App Store returns to a model of "pay once, get the whole package", i.e., never.

15. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    #35 racer-007, Feb 27, 2013
    I think people here are way too over enthusiastic. Since I have an NZ account after trying Real Racing 3 two weeks back, I bought the game in high spirits.

But while the graphics are good, the areas are dark and ultimately the graphics are repetitive.

But more worrying is the gameplay. A button masher is what it is. Two attack buttons and some lame ass combos. Actually, the combos can make the game interesting, but upgrades cost shitloads of money and (surprise!!!) there are IAPs. Two sets of them. One for aliean and another for predator.

The mobile gaming space is just stinking of late. Big devs putting $$$ before everything else.

Edit: I also think the AI is poor.

16. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Certainly out of question. If that was possible they won't have expensive IAPs.

17. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    Impressive, it looks really solid,
    it's also very interesting the fact that you control different characters
    during the chapters evolution, i love the face hugger and the idea
    to take a human body...

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Man, that's a disappointment. Especially after watching that vid, it does look button mashy and the Alien doesn't use vents or sneak up to attack...WTF??? Did they watch any of the movies? The Alien does not fight anything like that.

19. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    Gosh!!
    ...long story short...
    i'll wait for more later impressions.

20. dexter77

Jan 15, 2011
    hahaha!:D:eek:

Good question!!