Universal Auro: A Monster-Bumping Adventure (by Dinofarm Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Blake.Reynolds

Blake.Reynolds Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Yes! This is a known bug seen on devices whose storage is nearing capacity. Try deleting some apps or other data. That usually fixes it. We're addressing that soon as we can get to it. Sorry for your trouble, but we hope you enjoy the game!

2. Blake.Reynolds

May 5, 2010
  3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  4. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks for the update but I still don't think it looks great on a retina iPad screen.

5. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Yep, the same here. Sorry, but i'm disappointed. I can't play since i've bought it. It's probably hard to solve that, but it's a bit too long now. This is the only game i can't play because i don't feel comfortable with visuals. I know it's not very important, gameplay and strategy are more important, but in this case, i can't, it looks like i was playing with a VGA resolution, 320x240, on a big screen.

I'm still waiting, but i thought it would be solved earlier. I don't know anything about coding, so it's probably a big and hard technical problem.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Bumping this one up. No body else with trouble on 6+?

7. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have iPhone 6+ and the game works like a charm

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #408 drelbs, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    No problems. 64GB 6+ iOS8.3

Interesting thing is the load screen starts with a slightly squished Dinofarm logo on the right, which quickly centers.

Game still looks blurred at points and animations such as the dialogue at the beginning of the level now look worse IMHO with jaggy edges as if graphics are being scaled.

EDIT: By "jaggy edges" I don't mean pixelated (as it's supposed to be) but as flickering-sometimes-not-square-ish-I-don't-know-how-to-describe-it-looks-wrong-to-me-while-in-motion...

9. Blake.Reynolds

May 5, 2010
    I'd have to see a screenshot, because it may be that it's not scaling properly and the pixel art isn't scaling right. But if it is, I mean, the "320/568 blown up" is part of what pixel art is all about. Pixel art is a style that I chose deliberately from the outset. That said, it's not your responsibility to know that pixel art is a thing, and I'm actually writing an article about this very phenomenon.

Sorry you're not crazy about the look. Rest assured tons and tons and tons of work went into making it look professional, despite the disconnect between pixel art and the modern eye.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I don't want to blow up TouchArcade with HUGE screenshots, so here is an imgur album with title/in-game shots from the App Store/iPhone 6/iPhone 6+ for comparison.

11. Blake.Reynolds

May 5, 2010
    Ahh yeah! That's definitely stretching incorrectly! The game should, and usually does, look the way it does on the screenshots. I'll cc the coder this album and we'll get right on it. Before, it was anti-aliasing and blurring. The coder may have tried to address this and caused this issue instead. So sorry about that. Does it look this way to anyone else in the thread with a 6 or 6+? If this is effecting every device, it's a significant graphical glitch.

So sorry. I'm just the artist. I have no control over this stuff. I'll get right on it.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #412 LordGek, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    I sadly have to agree, like an early HD TV trying to scale a normal resolution broadcast. It just doesn't appear to be scaling quite right even given the intentional pixel art look. Still a great game with decent art, just an odd resolution issue.

It looks incredibly sharp on my iPhone 6+, so no issues to report there.

13. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    yeah, i suppose it looks like that on my 6 Plus too... seemed different from before, but still not correct.

14. Blake.Reynolds

May 5, 2010
    Well, rest assured we work on auro every day. We'll fix it. It's a shame that the turnaround for apple is like 5-10 days. I'll ask the coder to work on a hotfix if he can.

15. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    New 60 FPS is glorious, and the difficulty curve is smoother too!

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I love the look of the game and the style of its artwork. I think it's just a issue of optimizing it for the different iOS platforms.

17. Champagne01

Champagne01 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Yay, rank 10! Hmm...85 points.

18. keithburgun

keithburgun Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Game Design, Author
    Westchester, NY
  19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  20. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I dunno. It looks as if it was done in a 320 size environment and then you hope the hardware will magically make it fit a hi-res setup. Back in the Atari 800 and Amiga days you DID do every frame of animation in this resolution and it looked fine on a low res tube TV. This looks really bad on the iPad...smeared with grey antialiasing artifacts and its a shame as the art and animations are so charming.

I'm not sure why you didn't start out in a 1920 res environment and simply quadruple every pixel. Then you would have had the scaling and proportion you want and the final result would be razor sharp.

If the art you're giving your coder is contained in a super low res setup to begin with it's always going to look awful...at least on the iPad. And this is the only game I've ever seen after five years or more on iOS that shows antialiasing like this..

I've pretty much given up on it ever looking sharp on the iPad. It seems like it was "rendered" in far too low res to scale up into a hi res environment.

Sorry Blake...your nice art and animations got toasted on the iPad. Have you even SEEN it on an iPad 2?

Thanks,
    -M