Universal Attack the Light - Steven Universe Light RPG (by Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Apr 1, 2015.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
  2. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Right.
    Also, if their post is edited, yours is still quoting the spoilers. :eek:

3. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    This game deserves more attention and yay for 5 star review! full of fun and charm! definitely paper Mario like in a way you should buy this! :)

4. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I am not familiar with the series but was intrigued with the old school RPG turn based mechanics and graphics! A bit surprised it is so dead on this TA since this is my fontobresorve for iPhone / mobile gaming... Seems to be a huge hit on the official App Store and on YouTube!

I'm thinking of getting it to also support the creator who I've been reading about and is a female creative artist. Hate to say it but I don't think female artists get the same recognition in the gaming, movie, cartoon or other business disciplines in the US or the world!

5. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  6. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    I mean, there's really only one spoilery thing in what they said and even then, there's a lot that we don't know. Rose giving up her physical form to give birth to Steven is known from the first episode. And even then, there's a lot more relating to the emotional relationships between the characters and whatnot. Plus, the episode where they revealed that Amethyst was from Earth and not Homeworld aired a while ago. Catch up already!

I gotta say, I was really hoping this would be good since I love the show and know Grumpyface makes good stuff for CN/AS, but it exceeded my expectations! Glad to see others are digging it too.

7. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #47 Intendro, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    You can not expect everyone to have current knowledge of every show (or game, or anything). Someone may not even know it exists. Or maybe just found out about it recently.

8. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I'm baffled this game isn't getting more attention... it's the closest thing you can get to a Mario RPG on the app store, it's actually quite challenging (the bosses and optional gauntlets can get pretty brutal), the mechanics are solid, animation and audio are top-notch, and the crystalline / animal monster designs look great. There isn't much of a story and the puzzles are few and far between, but the combat and character progression easily make up for it. At $3 this is a steal, and for me it's butting heads with Space Marshals so far for iOS GOTY 2015.

Also, I haven't even seen the show but the game doesn't really throw any references aside from the characters themselves so I don't feel lost at all, which is great.

One last thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere: the game does support iCloud. It syncs between devices automatically, which was a pleasant surprise. Looks great on a tablet.

9. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm going to DL it now especially hearing that iCloud works seamlessly... Totally agree that I'm
    Shocked that the TA forum isn't more excited about this one as I've not remembered seeing over 1,000 reviews on the App Store with a release so quickly... I was even more surprised that many left actual brief reviews... At first I thought they were being forced to write a review and they would get bonus items or something but it doesn't seem to be the case!!!

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm assuming it has to do with the show being not as popular as things like Adventure Time. I do like the art but I guess the AT characters are a lot more popular in terms of their design.

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    How do I get iCloud to work?

12. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Anyone have good strategies? I'm still on the first world, and can't get through the treasure level. I'm spending more time grinding old levels to get some experience. I've invested most of my points in attack, which might have been a mistake. Some of these monsters do crazy damage if you don't counter them in time.

13. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    You need to focus on skills and defense. Timing and strategy for the moves you use is important too. I would suggest leaving the gauntlets alone, until you get to level 2 or 3.

14. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

it just works! go on another device and try it! make sure Game Center account is the same on both devices!

15. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Sounds about right. Back to the grind :)

16. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the kind words from those enjoying the game :) Just wanted to update TA that we will have a patch available fixing some of the issues that were reported the first week of release -- should be live in the next few days. We are going to continue supporting this game -- if you run into an issue, please feel free to get in touch here: [email protected] and we would be happy to help

And now for some quick and completely random tips for anyone having trouble :)

- Don't forget that Garnet's "Shield Breaker" isn't just for shielded enemies! It lowers the defense of *any* enemy, allowing all your attacks against that enemy to do more damage. Great against bosses or beefier foes

- Don't hoard items *too* much -- they're really useful! Although treasure chests don't refill in this game, all enemies in the game have a chance to drop loot, and the Statue Shops *do* restock if you return to a previously completed stage

- Steven's bubble shield is an often overlooked ability. Not only will it completely negate any attack, it will also perform a counter-attack if you tap at the right time when an enemy attacks (same timing as defending normal attacks) -- the bubble bursts and deals damage

- Also don't forget: if you end a turn with some star points left, they carry over to the next turn! (up to a cap of 9). You can form some really effective strategies this way

Hope that helps!

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[thread=258426][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258478][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258419][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258488][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258534][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=258552][​IMG] [/thread][thread=258562][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258420][​IMG][/thread] [thread=258345][​IMG][/thread]

Attack the Light - Steven Universe Light RPG

[​IMG]

Is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

2nd April 2015

VOTE HERE

Developers, publishers and/or affiliates cannot vote for their own games!!

18. Shwqa

Shwqa Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I'm surprised that the reviewer though pearl (thin light colored one) was the best character. My garnet (black and red one)'s normal attack easily does triple the damage of my pearl's normal attack. Though I made my garnet a glass cannon because I figured I could bubble shield once and garnet attack twice every turn.

19. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Hmm, I know I said iCloud works automatically before, but now I'm not so sure. I noticed that the game will automatically upload to iCloud, but it doesn't seem to automatically push that save to other devices. Instead, your cloud save only seems to sync when you reinstall the game.

Surely that's not intended?

20. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I haven't gotten it to work for me at all... InDL it for my iPhone 6 and have made it through the first 2 or 3 stages but when I go to my iPad it has me at the beginning as if I haven't played at all...

The welcome from game center is the same for me so my account is recognized as the same account on both devices.

Bummed since this is one reason why I bought the game! Um always so frustrated when games don't let you seamlessly go from one device to the other since it totally limits the way the user plays their game.

Going from iPhone to iPad or iPad to iPhone is what makes these devices so much fun and functional!

Ugh...