Out Now ATONE: Heart of the Elder Tree (by Wildboy Studios)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    This one is rather hard to describe, which is partially why it's so interesting. It's story-based, with a world map you wander around and talk to NPCs in. As you're wandering around the world, you might find a puzzle to solve, adventure-game style. Every so often, you'll get into a cutscene with voice acting. This cutscene will turn into a battle which launches you into a simple tap/hold rhythm game. And then you die and ten years later you're someone else collecting ingredients for a recipe sent to you by your grandma.

It's... ... weird and deserves more players.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    This game has left me absolutely speechless. Unquestionably one of my favourite games and stories... ever. Simply stunning.

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I have put in a bit of time in this game and I am so confused it’s not even funny.

I think the language barrier and historical knowledge has a lot to do with it. Maybe the creators just went with the assumption that anyone playing the game would have a base knowledge, I dunno. But there seem to be some significant gaps in the narrative. Like I’ll go from one screen where something terrible has happened and then there’ll be some people just chill and making jokes, or the opposite. The tone seems really strange and the pacing is sometimes inscrutable.

yet I’m still incredibly compelled by the whole experience. It’s an odd duck that I don’t hate by a mile but I also don’t think I entirely get.

5. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I agree to some extent on the writing but the main plot seems easy enough to follow. I'm really not loving the combat though - or maybe just not fully getting it. I assume you're meant to tap all the rhythm bars but that seems hard to do, especially when the bars sometimes move around. Though it's probably not helped by playing on an iPad. As well as struggling slightly my hands can feel quite uncomfortable after just a single battle.

The game is very, very pretty though.