Universal Atlantic Fleet (by Killerfish Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2015.

1. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Thanks. I found the map, but it only shows my ships. I did notice that the screen auto pans to the sonar bearing, and I turn that way, but I never find anyone. Of course, I've only had time to play one battle, so maybe I'll get it when I have time later (lacrosse season is almost over #)

2. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Thank you

3. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

On level 8 of the Allies campaign, gripe, I damage the cruiser so bad then it leaves the battlefield. I've done this numerous times and the result is the same. Getting pretty tired of this because I can't earn renown points to buy more ships.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Do you use sub? It can delivery some serious punches if it happens to be at the right place and the right time. I have a sub is lucky enough to kill both a CA and CL using bow and stern torps in one game when the victims are too busy dealing with my surface ships.

TB and DD work pretty much the same way, cause torps work faster than regular shell. Though they run faster than sub, they are surface ship and need a bit more luck to go through enemy barrages before delivering the package.

Also, go to "Options/Help" and turn on "Ship disengages > 25,000 yds", it solves many hair-tearing frustrations.

Hope it helps.

5. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    (Cross-post from other forum)

Reminds me a lot about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Naval_Battles

which I spent many hours of my youth on:

1. SS operations have much improved -- still not a sim, but good enough. Practical tactics actually works here -- fanning out fishes to lock down a victim and wolfpack. Now, SS can perform 3D maneuver to avoid attacks. SS is no longer a cheap startup ship/boat for a campaign. I find it works much better against big guys than air power. Many a time it helps to finish off dying CA and CL where BB and BC are not doing fast enough. One lucky match my sole SS kills an otherwise perfectly healthy CA with stern trops and then a DD with forward fishes while they are both busily exchanging fire with my BBs

The only thing is you need a good starting position and some luck for it to work so I call it a wildcard.

2. AI is more superior. Not only they attempt to save itself using smoke screens, they also do this to save their wounded comrades. AI also tries to slip their deadly DD and TB close enough for torpedoing -- and this is how I lost my first BB, shame.

3. Carrier ops: no longer a bomb/torpedo with wings, the player actually go through ready->arm->launch->bomb->recall/land phases (a la boardgame Midway). Bomber can be armed with bombs or torpedo, there are depth charges and rockets to choose from. And each launch gives 2 - 4 attack runs.

4. Visual: this has been covered to death already

5. More ships in dock/garage/store/collection: I think this has also been covered

Do-not-like:

1. Unannounced departures: one fellow mention this already: unless you turn that option on, a ship can disappear right before your eyes as if it were armed with a portal gun. PF used to warn you that a ship is about to leave, but not here, not a single clue.

2. Target dial: it turns too slow and make it a pain to switch between targets

3. Views: as per 1.01, some SS show "bubble" from their screws but some do not, making it very hard to orient against others at first, but I learn to use the periscope view instead.

If you have thrown multiple batches of fishes into water, you can only have the view of the very first batch. There is no way to not know if the later batches hit something or not, unless you hear something exploded.

The view of next ship used copied from the previous one (same bearing and zoom level). I would like to have it reset to external view every time I play the next ship.

Last but not least, currently in periscope view, launching torpedoes stays in the same view, it should switch back to torpedo view

4. Targeting: My greatest gripe is: why in the verse should the default air strike target be your own CV, rather than, say the nearest enemy? Click on enemy target is clumsy and troublesome and I think this had been fixed in PF but it just come back again.

Moving the target reticle thing is too limited to be meaningful. And since SS is not targetable, I dunno how I can depth-charge a SS by plane, even though I know the SS is close to one of my ship -- may be I need to read more Help.

Changing torpedoes into a non-instant weapon makes it not useful to have bombing done one plane at a time. Like fanning torpedoes from SS and DD, planes should be able to team up and attack from different angles at the same time to minimize the chance of target maneuvering away.

Also, iirc, planes do not dive bomb without dive brakes equipped, so I want level bombing option for fighters and Swordfish.

5. Okay, if you don't make periscope to be radar "lockable", fine, make depth charges default weapon of ASW of choice, and let SS be able to crash dive.

6. I have run altogether > 50 PF style campaign missions but all of them are about sinking another ship. It is fun nonetheless but would it be better to have a bit more variations like beach landing/ground support missions? CAP (missed chance for PF)? Or even dedicated sub hunting missions?

7. Bugs? I think there is info about what damages the enemy has sustained but clearly I do not get mine. I can see my ship burning to the point as if I can grill steak on it, I click on the ship and I can see it suffers no damage at all, nor can I arrange the priority of things to be fixed first.

8. Sonar of SS should not be limited to the use for locating other SS, it should also be used to locate other surface vessels within range as well -- too much periscope watching is hazardous to your health (also to your crew)

9. I am not sure if damages disable any gun on board, but I am pretty sure AAA are still very strong, even when the amidships turns into a furnace.

P.S. Oh, upgrading PF to the standard of AF would be very nice but I do not have high hopes.

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    (As promised, how to sink a sub by "cheating", cross-post from other forum)

There are a number of ways to "cheat" to kill a SS.

1) Watch when enemy SS moves and deduct roughly its location

2) All periscope depth SS sticks out something above water all the time, check out any abnormal wave behavior, and serve it with guns. However, shipborne radar cannot range SS by periscope, even though many sub sims in the era tell me it ain't so.

3) if a SS/DD is present in your fleet, launch a torp to the general direction of the sonar report, and watch the torp view for any sighting along the way, since sonar here has definite range, so if you get sonar reading the SS is somewhere close enough.

4) some time, if you are lucky, target SS could show up as a pale figure in the submerged view, especially when it is daytime.

I once "test the water" by launching a fish to the bearing report by the sonar and 2 seconds later, I get a report that I have sunk something...

P.S. The reason I write so much about ASM is that, by quoting the Harpoon manual, SS is something "in your backyard driving up the insurance, better jump to it immediately" SS plays a wildcard-type game changer much more than in PF and even more significant that naval air power in the theatre (okay, we do not have flying boats nor B24 here so my statement is more or less holding).

7. sugimulm

Thanks Curry! Using light cruisers to engage, will try DD, but subs just can't keep up :(. Thanks! Will try again.

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    You are welcome. Hope it helps and good luck.

Both PF and AF are a bit about luck and retrying (some time, a lot). Every "game" is different because the starting positions are random. A tip I wrote back for PF is that: if you can't get 3-star in a "level" but manage to get 1 or 2 stars, move on, grab more renown in the next "level" and go back to that trick one later on.

9. sugimulm

Thanks! That was the strategy in PF, lol. Seems like it still works in AF, LOL. thanks again Currymutton!

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #70 currymutton, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Made a stupid video of gunnery in wind and smoke. This is my first gameplay video and I did a lot of stupid things. Hope you find it useful.

https://youtu.be/nnUaaxTVJgA

11. sugimulm

Thanks Curry! Found it helpful, seems like the wind gets pretty interesting later in the campaigns, thanks again.

12. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    Cross-posting from the reddit:

The gunnery model in Atlantic Fleet is based on naval gunnery as it was in real life. Unlike other games which offer gunsights that let you hit the exact spot you aim at, Atlantic Fleet features a simulated firecontrol computer that is closely patterned on the real-life firecontrol clocks used during WW2.
    You can 'lock' a target in two ways:
    Either by moving the red bearing line over the target and tapping the gunsight button,
    OR
    Enter the tactical map by tapping the map icon in the upper left corner. Once in the tactical map you can tap on any contact to target it. The tactical map is also the only way to target sonar or radar contacts. The optics only let you target what you can see.
    Once a target is locked, the target's information will be shown in the top right corner, including speed, estimated range and estimated elevation/torpedo lead angle.
    It is important to remember that these are estimates, and in real life these values are calculated by the ships firecontrol system by systematically feeding it with bearings and ranges from visual rangefinders and radar arrays fitted on the ship. Atlantic Fleet simulates this process by refining the targeting solution of subsequent turns, as indicated by + symbols next to the target name.
    In practice this also means your gunnery will improve over time.
    You can also manually refine your gunnery by shooting beyond the target, then shooting in front of it, or vice versa. You can then enter the tactical map and tap the 'plot' button found in the lower right. This will draw graphical representations of your last 6 salvos fired, with hits indicated as X's and the recorded elevations. Using this info you can manually calculate an accurate elevation - especially if your rangefinders have been damaged.
    Wind is also simulated in the game. You may use the binoculars to accurately land hits on enemy targets by using the hash marks on the binocular's reticle. These marks are proportional as you zoom in (divide by 2 for each zoom level) and you can use them effectively by lining up the target in the crosshairs, then offsetting the bearingline against the direction of the wind. Take note of the mark you've aimed at, then observe the fall of shot. Use this to visually estimate the correction needed next time to hit the target. With practice you should be able to consistently hit targets even in strong wind conditions.

Currymutton complained about not being able to easily target subs or airstrike targets or change targets quickly - this is exactly why we included the tactical map. If you tap on a ship or contact it will automatically train your weapons in that direction. For the airstrikes, assuming your intended victim is already targetet, you can tap the enemy readout in the top right to switch the camera to that unit. There is also a button to do this in the tactical map. It is much quicker than Pacific Fleet was.

13. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Big thanks! Will bring back the CV and try this tonight.

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Again, thanks. I don't use the visual aid on binoculars, I do mental "processing" as seen in the video. But it is nice to know the old device is still here.

The tactical chart reminds me of the books I read about naval combat history, I like it.

Request for permission to post to Pocket Tactics

15. sugimulm

Speaking of PT, 5-star rating, wow!

16. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    #76 D1vi8, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Fantastic game, even better than expected.

But I have problems with submarines.
    What is the attack angle for a torpedo? The rear and the front?
    Problem is that it is not very clear for me how to maneuver the submarine to attack with torpedo.
    I sometimes maneuver the front towards the target but afterwards I can only fire torpedos from the rear.

My English is not that good. I m having trouble with this sentence : 'Sonar : contact bearing 311,7° periscope depth'. What does that means? Is that the place where the sonar spot a enemy SS? And how do you know the distance in case you want to fire shells?
    I am not able to beat a SS in the campaign, keep losing everytime because I don't understand how to fight them.

Thanks in advance.
    5-star game!

17. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    There is a compass at the top of the screen. You can use that to orient the view when you get a bearing report. The subs have a 'cone' bow and stern within which you can set the torpedo gyros. An easy way to tell is if the bearing line is red, you can fire, if it is white, you can not fire.

If you look a few posts up, I describe how to use the map to target sonar and radar contacts you cannot see.

18. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I remember buying pacific fleet the day it came out. Beat it before the update and then beat it 4 more times. This one is sooo much harder for me. I just can't seem to win. Guess I just suck. I don't know. Glady gave the 10 bucks for this cause it is a very well made game. Just too hard for me

19. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Anyone remember the Harpoon series of military sim games loved them. Wish someone would port them to iOS.

20. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    100% agree! That would be a marvellous thing.