Universal Atlantic Fleet (by Killerfish Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2015.

1. Lohengriehn

Lohengriehn Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Great game. Even secondary explosions included. What a feeling :) One of my ships was hit by a enemy shell in my last game...it was a hit to the ammunition bunker I guess....and up it went in an impressive and big explosion. Wohooo. Thats the game I was waiting for (beside WOTA which will be released this year I hope). Well worth the price if one asks me.

2. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Finally available this morning. Got it, but no time to play today.

3. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    If you re not sure if you would buy this game and want to get a rough idea about the gameplay, download Pacific Fleet Lite.

4. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Any vid gameplay?
    The appstore says optimised for iphone 5 and above, looks like ipad4 is ok, but since it emphasized on 3D, is it going to be laggy or pixelated on ipad4? Thanks!

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    What about iPhone 4S, does it work in it?

6. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    iPad4 was my main test device so it defintely looks and runs well on that. It also runs fine on my iPhone4S. Loading times are longer but framerates are high.

Is anyone interested in doing a review proper of the game?

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Sounds a great deal, specially because of the implicit part of your question, but I don't feel capable of doing so, sorry :( I think I don't have enough time for the amount of things the description says it has. In any case, I'll be waiting for someone to write that proper review :)

8. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
  9. weebles

weebles Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Downloaded this about an hour ago, very excited to play it. Runs perfectly so far on 5s, even squeezing into what tiny space I have left on it with grim fandango and a lot of pictures of my daughter! Plays well on ipad2, obviously the effects are more impressive on better hardware, but the bigger screen real estate helps to g a clearer picture of what's going on. No tutorial to speak of, unless I overlooked it, but it's not really a problem. Playing a few single battles, button bashing and bringing up the help menu to explain certain icons. Seems like this could be great to pick up and fire of a few rounds, or to really take seriously and dig in with more time to invest in your play. So far so good for me, if a little hard to navigate at first, (even coming from Pacific fleet as the ui has had a nice overhaul). Long story short, it's looking good!

10. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Just wondering, how do you find your enemies? In Pacific Fleet, you could see them and head for them. Here, I have no idea where they are. It will tell me about sonar contacts, and I'll head in that direction, but I never actually see them.

11. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    How in the world do I use the radar? Lol is it different than pacific fleet?

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    During "weapon delivery" phase (i.e. after you move your ship/boat), select a non-plane weapon, rub the compass like thing on lower left, which turns the line projecting from current ship to your target, if the line is red, the current weapon is usable in that direction, then find circular button on the lower right, it is the "radar" / firing solution. This gives you the rough range (with no regards on target movement and wind) information for both guns and torpedoes.

Note that this kind of ranging does not work on submarines, even if you can find its periscope.

Hope this helps.

13. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Really thinking about getting this. Would like to see some gameplay though. Is there async mp ?

14. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    It is possible to play historical or custom battles as hotseat multiplayer.

Regarding the targeting - What actually happens when you tap the radar button after aiming the bearingline at a target is that it gets 'locked' into your ship's firecontrol computer, and the FCS will continue to calculate the correct angles over subsequent turns. What this means in practice is that the elevation and torpedo angle will become more accurate the longer you have a ship targetet.

For the guy who couldn't find the enemies - The camera generally autopans to look in the direction of the enemy. You can also tap the map button in the upper left corner to get a view of the battlefield. From here you can target enemy ships as well as radar contacts or sonar contacts. ASW and night combat mandates some use of the tactical map.

15. ipad_dad

ipad_dad Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Very tempted but never played this type of game. The learning curve worries me. How easy/difficult would this be for a player with no experience of this type of game and usually lives down dungeons? haha

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    You can try Pacific Fleet free version first to have a taste of mechanics.

17. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Great game...can't believe I missed the first one!

Great turn-based strategy game. Could do with a tutorial (or tool tips) explaining the mechanics though

18. ipad_dad

ipad_dad Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Thanks will do that :)

19. RobertsArsenal

RobertsArsenal Active Member

May 5, 2015
  20. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    That's a great video. It's also fun to watch someone completely new to the game playing it after having worked on it for so long and knowing all the nuts'n'bolts.