Universal Atlantic Fleet (by Killerfish Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2015.

1. Cerxop65

Cerxop65 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Yeah, I'm hoping maybe another day

2. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Well, looking at this got me to try Pacific Fleet (I didn't even know it existed) and it's amazing! My son and I are so hooked. I'm a history teacher, and my son is a WWII buff (7th grader). We can't wait until Atlantoc Fleet is available again.

3. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Anyone know how to beat land targets in Pacific Fleet? I'm loving that game, but I've hit a land mission and I've noticed two things. First. The radar stops working correctly on land. Second, I just keep making holes in the sand until I have to quit. Seems impossible.

4. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    So this game is pulled for now? Get crash dive if you want a submarine itch scratched. I've poured lots of hours into it pretending I'm Clark Gable. Run silent, run deep. And FFSdont make any noise!

Crashdive is pretty awesome... It's really arcade style more then simulation though. Maybe that's just me though but I'm hoping this one has way more actual sim parts to it. :). Also some boobies would be bonus,

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Land attack missions (kinda off topic I know)

1. Not everything on the island base is your target, there is a "pin" over the mission targets, make sure you find them first
    2. If you only have submarine active, you can direct bombers to bomb the targets for free
    3. If you have surface ships, you have to use guns (unless you have CV and/or CVE). Actually, you can "click" on the target and use radar for ranging. However, there is a bug which forbids you from pinpointing the exact location, hence the range, of your target. Good news is it is not that hard to figure out the range if you are not moving your fleet around too fast.
    4. Air power is the answer to these missions, but you may not afford them early

P.S. I played as UK in the Atlantic fleet and covered over 10 missions and yet to find a base strike...

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I will not call AF a sim neither (anyone who have played Silent Hunter, 688 Attack Sub, etc will say so), but the interesting thing is AF allows you to have 3 subs in a mission so it is possible to have wolfpack tactics and since the trop model has also been changed, you can fan out fishes to your target and the gameplay is very interesting if you like sub warfare (but the ships still kill you with gun...).

7. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Yep, I picked it up too, it's great. I like the fact you can tune the difficulty so if you just want a quick casual blast you can. Nice to see devs catering for a wide variety of play styles. I'll pick up the sequel for sure.

8. Lohengriehn

Lohengriehn Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    seems it reappeared at the appstore...

9. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Yes, it is back in the AppStore, but when I tap buy, I get "this item is no longer available."

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Yup, upgrading gets the same message but some how I still can get the 1.01 up and running.

11. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Now I just get a straight up "Item not available in U.S. Store"

12. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    So is this like a 'carrier command' type of game...ie strategy-lite that you tell vehicles where to go and then control the, yourself?

13. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    Hi, I'm the artist on Atlantic Fleet. The reason we pulled it was because despite lots of testing, we had a crash bug affecting iphones only appear in the final release and so we pulled it to avoid getting swamped with bad reviews. We've been working 24/7 on getting this resolved. We currently have a 1.02 update in review which hopefully fixes this and a few dynamic campaign bugs.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    According to AppShopper, update v1.01 happened a few hours ago and it supposedly fixed those iPhone crashes, but you're saying that update v1.02 is under approval process and the app is still unavailable, right? Btw, what are the minimum iPhone & iPad specs for the game?

15. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    How does this differ from pacific fleet?

16. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    Yes, we published a 1.01 update which tested fine yet exhibited the same bug. So we pulled that and took some steps to completely fix the problem. It seems to have been a middleware drm-related issue.

As for what is different from Pacific Fleet, for starters there's the whole dynamic campaign with permadeath. Damage and gunnery models are much more advanced, the ships themselves more historically accurate. There's an entirely new submarine/ASW combat model that allows you to utilize wolfpack tactics against convoys. Torpedoes behave much more realistically. And it's a much more tactical game.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #37 currymutton, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Tons. I am currently in mission 18 of the UK campaign. Here are a few which I find different from PF:

1. 10 ships in store: like racing game, you can build up your own "garage" of ships and boats, and select 3 of them to a mission each time

2. When a ship is gone it is gone: ships are now grouped in classes and each class has a ship with unique name. If your ship is sent to become a permanent display on the sea floor, it is gone, you may buy another ship from the same class, if available. I have yet to see what will happen if the list runs out (ah, HMS Hood, the only ship in her own class, let see...) But the enemy recycles names of the ship all the time.

3. Submarine: can buy and send more than 1 sub and you can actually run wolf pack tactics with them -- one boat chases victim into the teeth of other boats. Also sub-vs-sub is now possible (but I suspect it is not realistic)

4. Multiple launch torpedoes: the fishes are now more realistic: ships and boats can launch multiple torpedoes at the same time, each with its own bearing. That means you can fan out a volley of fishes trying to catch any ships attempts maneuver. However, torpedoes now do not instantly reach your target, it goes like this: you launch your fish, it moves some distance, if it does not reach the target, then enemy moves then your fish continues moving. If it does not hit anything, it goes on for another turn. Air launch torpedo works the same way making them harder to use than PF (more on this later)

5. No more pay-to-upgrade: all ships seem to go full-spec now upon purchase and there is no need to pay for extra radar or star shells, etc.

6. Smoke. Ships, like their real life counterparts, can lay out smoke screen. Ship laying smoke screen can render enemy radar useless and cannot fire during the turn, but anyone else can still send shells flying through it. AI now lay smoke whenever it is badly damaged, or trying to protect unarmed ships from harm

7. Carrier ops: you need to ready the planes before launch, and you can have 2 (or may be more) attacks per launch and then you need to "recover" your planes (aka land them back), wait for 2 turns before you can send them back in the air. During "ready" phase, you can select arming your plane with bombs or torpedo (if available) or nothing. A flattop can have bomber wings and fighter wings separately but I am not sure if fighter can work as CAP when not carrying anything. Bomb run is pretty much the same as PF, but unless you fly dangerously close, torpedo from bomber takes more than 1 turn to hit something you need to plan better your attack (I argue this is not rather realistic)

8. Single Missions: there are now a number of stand-alone scenarios, not I have not tried them yet

9. No more land base attack mission, afaik

10. Other UI stuff: you can view the ship tracks of both sides after each battle, but the distance markers to aid range-finding are now gone. Many other visual improvements (aka eye candies) and I bet you will like even more how other people's ship goes boom now.

P.S. You may notice I have some displease with the game, but I am not posting them until a stable version arrives.

18. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    Note that the 3-ship limit only applies to the Pacific Fleet-style linear campaigns. If you play the 'Battle of the Atlantic' dynamic campaign you get up to 20 ships that you can deploy in-theater as you wish.

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Noted. When I play UK in campaign, the first 3 ships chosen are highlighted in blue and all other selected are in yellow. In battle, only the blue ships appear. Humm, may be I am not playing the dynamic campaign?

20. Sven-Hassan

Sven-Hassan Member

May 18, 2015
    The 'Campaign' mode are linear encounters like Pacific Fleet was. 'Battle of the Atlantic' is the full dynamic campaign that adds an XCOM-like grand strategy layer.