iPad ATC 4.0 : three-dimensional time management

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by hkiphone, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #1 hkiphone, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
    Hey guys,
    Just wanted to pipe out that there's a Air Traffic Controller sim for those who fancy a time management game that's not domesticated tasks. (Not that I'm complaining about Sallys Salon or Diner Dash - I love them just as much as my wife!) But since its in air space, you also need to think in three dimensions. I used to really enjoy playing "Kennedy Approach" on the Atari 800XL (one of the first games to utilise speech synthesis, i think), and hopefully this will bring some memories back. Sadly, spent way too much this week, so I can't give any further comment apart from directing you to these review sites. I just thought that since there was another thread where someone was questioning whether cooking or cutting hair was actually fun, here is another alternative.

iTunes Link, US$2.99

[hqyoutube]BSagQkVY7oo[/hqyoutube]

Reviews:
    http://www.appcraver.com/atc-4/
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/atc-4-review
    http://www.iphoneappreviews.net/2009/02/11/atc-40/

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Might actually buy!!! Thanks for posting this

3. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Another competitor on the radar.... iATC

Hey there Pablo.
    There's actually another competing sim called iATC, costs $1.99 but looks alot more basic (just purely a radar screen). Came across it only when I tried searching "ATC" on iTunes store. That's been out since Dec 08, whereas ATC 4.0 was out only in 22 Jan 09.

Direct link to iATC: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297881846&mt=8

Let us know which one you go for, and what its like.

4. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm downloading ATC 4.0 right now, the other one didn't appeal to me as much graphically and looked far worse from the description;)

will post my thoughts later

5. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    It's really great, I almost crashed 2 planes on my second day but it was awesome! Touch controls work great, you have to set a path for every new plane that comes in new to the map without getting in the way of the others, it gets more difficult when you have 4 planes all wanting to go to the same destination. Thank you hkiphone again for posting this, I'm really enjoying the game:D

6. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    #6 pablo19, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Day three is a night shift and I have to safely get 8 planes to their respective destinations, the environment is darker now and planes are harder to see which offers a greater challenge. I assume that there is really bad weather were only the wing-lights of the plane can be seen

EDIT: the background of the city also changes each day!

EDIT 2: Day 5 it's snowing and I couldn't see/control all the planes, two of then collisioned....I will retry!!

7. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes, I had noticed this game maybe two weeks ago. hkiphone, I used to play Kennedy Approach on the C64. I was hoping this game might relive some of that game, but ATC does not have altitude as a factor.

There is an on-line web version: http://www.atcgame.com/play.html

It was enjoyable, and seems worth the price, but I did not buy it yet.

8. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    online version is quite hard, the one for the iphone is easier to control and you can set paths unlike on that mobile version where you have to control each plane individually.

Can't get past day 5, but there is also a highscore mode, so that should add to the replay value

9. Lehman310

Lehman310 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    The high score mode is really intense.

10. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    yeah, I'm doing "day" mode right now, and level 5 with the snow was pretty hard.

11. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Wow, sounds cool especially since I downloaded Sally's Salon
    And chocolate shop frenzy.

12. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    no Altitude!?!?! Oh man, that was the single biggest factor that made Kennedy Approach such an awesome game!!! After watching the gameplay video on Slidetoplay.com, I miss the speech synthesis too: "Delta five two nine, heading NorthWest, decend to four thousand feet." :(
    Also noticed the planes turn instantly on waypoints. Kennedy Approach required planes to turn almost glacial pace, so you had to think five steps ahead!!! Then again, that was for playing at home, with no distractions. I'm sure the quick turning was to facilitate gaming on the move and limited battery. Graphics do look good tho. Definitely on my (Very!) long list of apps to buy!!!!

Thanks Pablo for your quick first impressions!!! :)

13. Sloppyfalstaff

Sloppyfalstaff Active Member

Feb 23, 2009
    It’s great to hear you like the game.
    We considered altitude, but the game design was to make the game as easy to control as possible.
    Altitude will probably make it into the next version. I have to think about something smart so it will be easy to switch between heights. Also speech would be great to have, but not that easy to build.

14. Sloppyfalstaff

Feb 23, 2009
  15. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    hkiphone, yes, the speech was amazing. It was so clear. For 20+ years, I've hoped for someone to make a similar game. This game seems to be the closest I've seen.

Sloppyfalstaff, thanks for stopping by. I'm assuming you are the developer or part of the development team. The very fact you stopped by may just push me to make the purchase. It's important to me when the devs are accessible.

16. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi Sloppyfalstaff,
    Glad to have you here and let us know you already considered altitude.
    If you want some more ideas about how Kennedy Approach worked it's way into mine and SSquared's hearts, you can try a remake made for PC at www.kennedyapproach.com, with a teaser video at www.YouTube.com/watch?v=8GspwkyzPyY

I would love to have something like that on iPhone as Im never at my home computer long enough to enjoy somethig like this.
    Cheers!

17. Sloppyfalstaff

Feb 23, 2009
    I know the game , there are some features that would be cool to take into the next atc for sure.

18. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    That would be great! Looking forward to it :)

19. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    anyone else have trouble with the controls on this game?

I've played it a few times, but I frequently end up redirecting the wrong plane because the new tap didn't take into effect.

arn

20. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    You haven't actually said you love the games, just that you love them as much as you love your wife. Some people hate their wife :p