Atari's Greatest Hits -> ALL GAMES FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by strivemind, Jun 27, 2012.

1. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Just to clarify for those who were curious, I can still download whatever I want for free after the sale. So, I'm assuming what the notice meant was that you must download and install the app during the promotion. Once you have it installed, you can download and play whatever you want, as long as you don't remove the app.

2. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    It appears so, therefore for those who want the complete pack of games, just backup that ipa file.

3. Cool! Thanks for letting us know.

4. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    How is that done? Is it just through regular syncing of my iPod?

5. bititch

bititch Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Awesome, I was hoping that would be the case, and put the ipa into my dropbox folder right after the update.

On Windows, right click the app in itunes, and select "Show in Windows Explorer". Then just make a copy of that file somewhere safe.

To restore it, just put the ipa file back into that folder, then select File > Add File to Library.

6. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    The ipa file is only @30mb but if you go with a program like phonedisk in the root of the game you can find an amount of 160mb to save.. But i don't say if it's to only place where the room of the games are stored.. Any of you can tell us your experience?

7. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I'm afraid that's probably not going to work. The app was not updated after the sale, which means that this version checks Atari's server to verify the promotion. If you didn't actually install it during that time, you're likely out of luck.

8. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Then again what Atari said was that one has to install and download the games during that particular period but seeing as how after the sale, we can still download games at no charge, it seems safe to also assume that would also be the case if one install the same ipa on another device. Perhaps they just have not update the ipa since it does takes some time for Apple to update.

That or you could be right after all. We wouldn't know until someone install the ipa on another device.

9. xraydash

xraydash Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Looks like this deal is on again for August 31 through September 1. If I understand correctly, any game you download in that time frame will be considered "purchased" and can be restored after the sale. Kind of a pain because you have to download each one individually. I only grabbed the arcade ones because I don't really have any interest in those old 2600 games.

10. Yeah, good deal for free.

11. marco76

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Re-download all pack - if i read correctly the message we have the same old problem : if you remove the app you lose all purchase is it correct????

12. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Can't download them one by one individually. too much work. thanks for the opportunity to play these classics for free though, Atari. These games will always have special place within my heart.

13. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    So im a little confused here, is this promotion the same as last time when you could download them for free and if you deleted the app you lose the games or its like you bought them?

14. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    the former. you only have the games as long as you keep the app installed. but probably if you sync to your library you will have all of these games.

15. Has anyone here ever deleted the program in the past, did you lose all your games?

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Really? When I DL'ed them during the first sale, it took all of 20 minutes or so :shrug:

17. Jazzzed

Jazzzed Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Yes... I downloaded many of the games during the first promotion in June. I was having a problem with some of the screen drawing on my iPad, so I deleted the app and lost all of the games. I even tried to reinstall that ipa file from the free version, but no dice. Basically it is the AppStore that is just letting you download the games for free during the period. Once it's over, the AppStore will begin charging for the downloads again. The games will live on your device until you delete it off of your device. Syncing with iTunes has no effect... unless you need to restore your device. You do get the games back when you restore from a backup.

18. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    yes... sucks

does anyone know if there is a way to backup the .ipa /files to your pc/mac from your iphone/ipad then restore it later?

19. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Thanks thats what I thought, I installed it on my phone and when I clicked restore purchases it said it restored 3 purchases ( I originally bought 3 arcade packs ) but it appeared on the list as if I owned every game, ready for download but im guessing this happened because of the promotion being live again.

20. marco76

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    ..so is it the same situation as the last free promotion??? Can you confirm this situation?