At&t is downgrading the EDGE network!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Broward, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Broward

Broward Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    #1 Broward, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. jordancoolj

jordancoolj Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    good thing i live in england and my iphone is on o2..

3. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
  4. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Haven't noticed anything yet.
    Phone: Blackjack 2
    I have 3g on my phone turned off to save battery power (doing this causes my phone to last for 4-5 days before needing to recharge).

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That does suck... Especially since EDGE takes up less battery life

6. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, I live in a redneck gathering place, with about 3000 people in the city, and the remainder in hollows and the outskirts of a midsize city in the next county, and no other providers in the area. Great. No 3G in the area, and EDGE already sucks. This is great, and I had already read the article, but I didn't find it worth a thread. AT&T, you are about to become the #2 in cell service, if you don't stop making bad decisions.

7. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm starting to wonder why people bother with AT&T... Might as well get an iTouch and another cell phone on the carrier of your choice

8. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Well where I live, if you have AT&T you get above average and excellent coverage in most places (except indoors although you still have a signal, usually 1-2 bars) and Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile are not so responsive signal wise.

Up at my college AT&T gets the best signal out of all available carriers, everywhere on campus/town (except basements) one typically has 4-5 bars.

Back on topic: Most people rely on an EDGE network for multiple reasons.
    1. It is available in more places than 3G is at the current moment
    2. It eats up much less battery than a 3G connection does
    3. Most people with older phones use the EDGE network

9. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't really mean network-wise. I mean yeah, it's a great network. Probably #1 or #2 in the US right by Verizon.

But jeez, they are just SO expensive, and the only thing they offer that is unique is rollover minutes.

With all the talking/texting I do (just to my girlfriend), I would have to pay $150 a month to own an iPhone with AT&T, whereas I will pay $55 a month with T-Mobile

10. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Thats the exact reason I don't own an iPhone. (not to mention I'm on a family plan)

11. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Well there's a reason for me not to go the AT&T route when I get a new phone, not that I was seriously considering it, outside of getting an iPhone (which I won't because I have a Touch).

While I have no experience with AT&T, it does seem that they like to defecate (using "nice" words here) on their customers any chance they get, whether itbe to save a buck, or to show up the other carriers out there.

Plus, you'd think with all the complaints about the iPhone's 3G out there, that they might hesitate a little in phasing out what appears to be a still widely used system.

12. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah I'm on a family plan too. I'm getting my own plan on T-mobile though... I'll miss Verizon's coverage :(

13. Kuratsu

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    If I had wanted to pick up my own plan I'd have jumped on Sprints old SERO (Sprint Empoyee Referrel Offer) plan before they shut down the ability to join the old SERO. The new one is crippled (cost wise). Check out what you would get with the old plan here and new plan here.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm curious, how many of those with an iPhone 3G turn off 3G and stick with EDGE?

14. Broward

Broward Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
  15. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    AT&T made some kind of denial today, can't remember specifically how they addressed the issue

16. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    using the speednet.net app, I'm getting these speeds from Las Vegas.
    unfortunately I don't have anything prior to compare them to.

[​IMG]