Universal Astronot by Wade McGillis

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mguniverse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Damn, this game looks awesome. Putting it on my wishlist!

How are the controls?!

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My wishlist would be a map that you can access if you want it. More hardcore people don't have to use it..and the weak people like me can enjoy the game without getting too lost.

I could never get through the old Metroids..but Castlevania Symphony of the Nights (and the Castlevanias on the Nintendo DS) still let me explore (not sure how it compares to Metroid) while still having a ton of secrets, a map, generous save points and a warp system.

3. wademcgillis

wademcgillis Active Member

Try using the X-Ray goggles! And if you don't have them, what you did is something like sequence breaking.

Thank you for your valuable input. Your suggestions will be added to my future games to make them the best they can be.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I hope your business is able to survive without the forum whiner contingent in your corner!

5. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Funniest thing is, I'm stuck at the same spot, too weak to beat that boss, but a voice in my head is telling me I really should before doing anything else

6. wademcgillis

#106 wademcgillis, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    There's actually three bosses that are accessible from the start of the game.
    By going the way Eli did, you end up at the eye boss, which gives you X-Ray goggles that allow you to see invisible blocks or see through other blocks.

If Eli had continued right after getting the jump powerup and had entered the area with the red metal, he would end up fighting a giant slime/slug boss, which doesn't give you a real powerup but you can get a few health orbs that way.

If Eli had continued right after getting the jump powerup and had taken the high road, he would have ended up at a castle. Inside the castle is a robotic knight/tank thing. By defeating that, you get a gun powerup that inflicts 3x the damage, making the game a lot easier.

Glad you're enjoying my game. :D

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Probably could have used spoiler tags.

How many times did you hit your head against the table? :p

And what do you think about iTunes File Sharing for save files?

8. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Really loving this one =]
    I think I'm stuck, though - so far I've collected 3 of those things that boost your max HP, and I've tried fighting the boss but have been getting whipped every time.
    Are there any other items I should get before I fight the boss? I'm pretty sure I've searched everywhere haha :p

Oh, and I'm still playing the lite version, so maybe that's the problem?

9. wademcgillis

Nope. It's not the lite version.
    If you had gone right after getting the jump powerup, and kept on going the highest you could while still going right, you'd end up at a castle. Inside the castle somewhere is a knight/tank boss that will give you a gun powerup if defeated. Your gun will now shoot larger bullets capable of destroying certain blocks, and will also deal 3x damage.

After that, the eye boss will be 3x easier. You don't need the full version to do this.

10. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Hmm...
    I've visited that castle before, but don't recall seeing a boss around. I'll have to look harder I guess :p

Thanks for the help!

edit: Btw, just want to say I love the different skins! I love it when devs add little things like that in their games =]

11. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Lol, I didn't know you could swim in water! I've always thought you would die if you touched it, so that's why I turned back after seeing the first room in the
    castle
    Heh, can't believe how stupid I am :p

12. wademcgillis

Leonardo and Danny are the first names of the testers that tested the game far too much. So I added their Twitter avatars as skins.

13. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    You could just jump over it, tho :p. You'd still find what you're looking for, although a bit harder.

Also I found the suicide room with no exit. Died immediately D:.

Anyways, time to get revenge on the eye!

14. curiositydope

curiositydope New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    ...I don't have a google yet...
    I don't know what have I done.
    Anyway, I'll do it again!
    Thanx.

15. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Hah, good point.
    Yeah I think I found the suicide room as well. Is it the
    platform with two of those knight-like monsters surrounded by lava? in the castle area

Btw Wade, I found this area last night while playing. What is it, exactly? :p
    [​IMG]

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL.. same here. That Eye boss just won the staredown contest we had. Imma get back with larger pew pews!

THIS GAME IS F*CKING FANTASTIC.

Yeah. there's no stronger adjective than the F word.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #117 Exact-Psience, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    Anyone working on a map yet? :D

Wade: is there an ingame map item we need to find or do we have to do this oldskool? If so, will you be releasing a map out for us eventually?

Suggestion: how about get rid of the side border and expand the line of sight a bit? The pause button can be the space where the character is, or even a small icon on top of the play area.

18. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Ok now I'm having a bit of trouble, I'm stuck, as in, can't get back to the starting zone, here's what happened:

I beat the knight and got the pew pew gun, but instead of going back, decided to explore more and saw the slime boss that is on the trailer, took him down in a few shots, he has a save point behind, and now im stuck in that area, unable to go back to the castle, I felt like there was much to explore but I can't go back, only forward to a purple bubble area where enemies are waaay stronger and every path is lava. Can I go back to the castle from where I am? And no, I dont have the x-ray googles as I did this before going for the eye, just the pew pew gun and like half the screen hp bar.

19. jeanreno

jeanreno Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fantastic game - perfectly retro and having a blast exploring. Well done.

20. CamZer0

CamZer0 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I am also stuck here, the only way out is near the top, there is a locked door that blocks my path upward. I had to start a new save because I got stuck somewhere that needed the
    goggles[\spoiler] and am now stuck here... I've beaten the slug here in my last save and am now stuck... I'm sure I'm not missing anything. Love the game but it seems to have lots of bugs that break it. Maybe give this a miss until all game breaking issues have been fixed. I'm now going to start my 3rd time over due to bugs...