Universal Astronot by Wade McGillis

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mguniverse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    @Alex DeLargest: He is a developer but he is also HUMAN

2. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    well... amazing... but I'm wondering why so much of developers have started making retro 8-bit games... I have few Atari titles I wish to see on iOS like Mission Shark, Hans Kloss, Fred, Valdgirs Swords... and more... but back to the topic, is this a hobby thing? Because if I will try to remake any this would be hobby thing to make those titles live forever :D like iRobbo which I love it, but controls are harded then in original Robbo ;)

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You should make retro games too, we always need more developers like that ;)

4. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    #84 fetagames, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Oh really ;-)

Hmmm... maybe I should ask the publishers for license, and make 8-bit like games with support of iCade... or open club full o iCades and retro games on iPads... like Pong Machines :D that's a good idea ;)

Sorry for offtopic

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ideally you have whizzy graphics, stunning music or sound effects but often its all about playability. I mean why arent we playing tons of X-Box titles with amazing graphics etc ? (Granted its not mobile !). But what i mean is a lot of old classics stand the test of time as theyre addictive, theres also the nostalgia factor but also things like level design etc.

Take the game 'Bomb Jack' , love that old classic, could play it for hours. Graphics/sound might look old but i find it so addictive.

What i find with retro titles is theres the nostalgic factor but also theyre just simply fun to play. Dont need stunning 3d artists or that, block graphics are fine. Granted theres kids who might see them and think 'yuck' but theres also lots of gamers who know a good game when they see it regardless of graphics.

Theres so many great retro games out there, would love to see more remakes or 'homages'. Its all about the gameplay, get that right and it should be fine. Frustrating theres so many classic games sat out there gathering dust !

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You know, in comparison to other threads, Gabe's been really tame here and has said various times that he's enjoying the game and doesn't regret the purchase. So am I. I was looking forward to this when the thread first came up a few days ago, I bought it in an instant this morning (here, at least) and I'm enjoying it immensely without any issues.

That said, even if this is your baby...you, as a developer (in general), can't lash out at your customers because they find faults (to them at least) with your game. Saying anything that comes off as "well, you were too stupid to turn back, so I doubt you'd have even gotten there" is just unacceptable, and frankly, the message I quoted above is not in any way out of line.

Since I'm enjoying the game, I'm going to take the high road out of here and leave it at that.

7. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Thats OK, he has my $2 and I couldn't be happier about making this investment. Congrats to the developer and a job well done. Looking forward to future projects.

8. jennidc

jennidc New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Game Impressions

Loving the game so far I have played it for around 2 hours it reminds me of a cross between Starquake and Metroid all in a NES style.

I would love to see Icade or wiimote support added.

Also an alternate control method with no onscreen joystick and full screen would be nice.

But having said this one of the best games I've played in a while and I'm loving the retro goodness :D

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I get your point, a while ago we had that indie developer (one man band) who created a horizontal shooting game (quite loud colours), forget his name but he didnt do himself any favours arguing with people.

But here I think the dev of this game has been fine, yes there was a disagreement but its one of those ones where in person its just nothing, but using words on the internet its easy to take it the wrong way.

I'm sure its stressful being a one man band developing apps and the prize posession you've worked on for months is released and there might be 'some' negative comments, think you need to have a thick skin or sure.

But comments from kids saying 'azzhole' (at least spell it right) is pathetic and doesnt help matters at all.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Me? Heh...

You know how I said I wanted to take the high road and just stop talking about it? Yeah, I'm sticking to that. I will say though; even if my own opinion on the matter may or may not differ from how Alex DeLargest put it, there's a way for a developer to talk to paying customers and "mocking" them isn't it, regardless of the situation.

Can I please shut up now? I don't want this crap affecting my enjoyment of the game, so let me just say congrats to Wade on the release and that $2 for a metroidvania-style game of this caliber is a steal. Recommended.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #91 tops2, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    Tried the lite version and surprising found it fun...cause I'm not a fan of Metriod like games cause I always get lost. Don't know what you think of adding a noob mode where players (like me who always get lost) can have access to a mini map for the areas I've discovered...and have more save points.

12. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Add full screen support and add joypad app and you have one of the best game on app store.So far lite version for me and I love every second :) Full version for sure I think tomorrow

13. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Drama apart. One thing Metroidvania games improved on that was not on their 1st iteration was the presence of a map. I like the game, but im pretty lost, and will probably never go back to those places I just went through (more because of being incapable than being bored or something) so a map would be really nice.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Please consider file save transfers via iTunes File Sharing. If you need an example, see The Quest/(lite). Their saves are even platform independant - and if your format is consistent with the PC/MAC version all the better for everyone.

15. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah I agree having a map would be highly useful. Maybe one that doesn't show you everything at the get go, only showing areas as you discover them. You can even have an option to toggle the map on or off, so those that don't want any maps at all can opt to just leave it as it is now.

16. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah that's what I meant, you know, metroidvania-style. Permanent full map would kill the point of an exploration game, but being able to go back w/o getting lost, it even makes it easier since you can see where a save point was.

17. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I would highly agree a map would be very beneficial. Especially in those areas where it's easy to get lost.

18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    metroid 1 never had a map.. we had to draw our own! :p
    I kinda like how you need to figure things out.
    this is truly old school.

19. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Fun...But Id like a MAP

20. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    No map guys you kill the game with map.This game is very good and devs didnt want include map!!Add full screen and joypad app like Orange Pixel dev :D