Universal Astro Attack - Retro Arcade Shooting mashed with everything Video Game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mr_Snuffle, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Finally spent a fair amount of time with this. Wow, impressive stuff. Love everything about it. The ships are glorious. Tried all and am super stoked for this to release. I too will be buying many ships right from the get go. Such nice variety of weapons and foes. Insta classic, as I am pretty much a shooter fiend. Would be cool to have a screen clearing bonus drop or bombs that build as enemies are vanquished. Great work, great game. Will it be ftp with iap premium unlock? I'm rlly hoping for an ad opt out. Cheers

2. Thanks so much for that feedback :) I passed it on to the rest of the team. We've been working hard to get this out, and super pumped that you're enjoying it :D

Going to have one more lot of ships (including some Call Box love ;) ), then should be good for release. I really appreciate all of the feedback you've given. It's been vital to getting the game awesome.

With the cost of the Astro Puffs, my strategy for tuning numbers is to change them until they break, then try to fix it :p Works faster than making small changes. I do have a question though, did you do many missions? I was hoping that missions might offset the grind, but if they aren't I definitely need to fix that!

I was thinking a bit about a coin doubler this morning, because I'd love to get it in. I was actually thinking of instead of a doubler, maybe making a "Astro Puff VIP Membership", which gives you a 50% discount to the price of Astro Puffs. It's sort of the same thing, and thought it could be cool to have the idea of a VIP club. Maybe I can do special club discounts in the future, or early access to new ships. Just an idea for the future :)

3. Awesome :D I'm glad you're enjoying it! After release can definitely look at ways to extend the game. One thing I've been thinking about is new powerups, so could get in some explosive rounds or something ;) You'll see in my last post I'm already thinking about an IAP option to reduce the need for ads for those who want them :)

The game is F2P - I've tried paid before, and it's a tough road. It's really hard to get people to pick up the game. I've been very mindful of not putting in ads for ads sake. My philosophy has been "Fun before Funds". Unless the ads are in support of the game, I've avoided putting it in. So I've got the ads for coins and ads for rushing missions. If you don't want to do those, I'm not forcing any ads on you. If I can't make you enjoy the game enough to want to watch an ad to speed things up a bit, then my game isn't fun enough! Hopefully this strategy pays off.

Releasing the game is just the beginning. I've built the game so I can support this after release, new ships, new powerups, new mission types, so I'll be constantly listening to feedback once it's out. I made the mistake with Tail Drift needing it to be a hit out of the gate to keep developing it. This is something I can keep chipping away at over time, even if it's not a big money maker at launch.

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #124 LordShad0wz, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    The missions are where I get the majority of the coins. I watch ads to rush the next mission. But missions can get tougher sometimes and take a bit. So as I said delete everything and start as new player. After the first round of free coins it takes a while before you can get another. And then you get the same ship sometimes multiple times.

As to the VIP I'm not opposed to that idea however you really really really really really do NOT want to call it VIP. If you do no one will do it. Why? Because ANYTIME a game introduces a VIP in app purchase it's usually a crappy subscription that you pay every month. It can turn people off. So maybe it could be called something else. Let me think of something and maybe put some names together. I promise you if you call it VIP or word it wrong people will start questioning why they have to pay every month and not even read. Lol

Billy

5. Oh cool :) Thanks for letting me know about using VIP. I definitely don't want anyone to think I'm making this a subscription game!

And thanks for letting me know about the missions. That definitely sounds like I have the price too high. I'll tweak it for the next beta update.

6. MichaelThompson

Feb 23, 2016
    3D Artist
    brisbane
    #126 MichaelThompson, Mar 5, 2016
    Good news Everyone!

Hey guys,

Thought I would post an update of one of the next ships coming in, see what you think!

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

7. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    I have to be able to iap opt out of all forced ads or I just can't do it. #

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #128 LordShad0wz, Mar 5, 2016
    There's no forced ads. None. Zip. However that's why I've been advocating for the double coin IAP because there are the opt in ads and the in game coin droppage felt way way too light.

Trust me if there were interstitial ads in this game I would have launched an Astro attack from the beginning lol

The VIP program, which won't be called that, and will be like a coin doubler on steroids, will help with not having to watch any opt in ads.

Billy

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #129 LordShad0wz, Mar 5, 2016
    Nice design Michael! You guys are doing a great job on the designs and movements. What I love the most about the ships in this game is that they really are a 3D ship and not 2D. In most games of this type when you move the ship you don't see that it's a full ship. That's what I love so much about the work you guys are doing. It's what sets this game apart from so many others in this type of genre and shows the actual attention to detail you guys are making. You can actually see the bottoms of the ships as you move them. It's fantastic stuff! Thank you for helping to make a great game!

Billy

10. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    #130 H4nd0fg0d, Mar 5, 2016
    Yes, the banking ships rlly shows off the design quality. Good stuff!
    My hat's in for the coin doubling iap also. It's rlly essential and generates more revenue.

11. Thanks for all the great feedback :) I'm definitely taking on board everything you're talking about!

It's really hard to say what's going to happen post launch, but my current plan is to not force ads on people. If that ever changes, there will be a way to opt out, for sure. Most likely I'd just disable it after any IAP purchase.

12. MichaelThompson

Feb 23, 2016
    3D Artist
    brisbane
    Thanks dude, Really appreciate the compliments!

I have also just retouched what will probably be one of our most popular ships too!

Keen to hear what you guys think!

[​IMG][/IMG]

The next ship pack will be a lot of fun, some classic designs that you should get a kick out of!

Michael

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Nice touch up! Very very nice! It's my first favorite ship in the game, from the start of the beta, and one of the ships I plan to purchase on day one.

Billy

14. Toshki

Toshki New Member

Mar 3, 2016
    A small preview fresh from the Astro Puffs Toy Laboratories(APTL)!
    [​IMG]
    ~Amy :3

15. I thought I'd upload a web build of the first playable version of Astro Attack (then called Beat Invaders), and show the inspiration behind Proto Astro :)

http://proto.blockypixel.com/astroproto

The game has come a long way, and it's in no small part due to the awesome support we've had in this thread. Seriously, thank you! :D

16. New beta update just went live on iOS! :D

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Liking everything except that engine thing on the bottom of the telephone box. It shouldn't have an engine! Can that be removed?

I love the spruced up invaders!

Billy

18. #138 Mr_Snuffle, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Glad you like the invaders! Michael has done an awesome job :D

Unfortunately we can just use the Police Box - that's owned by BBC. I thought that the police box would be public domain, but it's something they own the trademark to. It may still be too close, might have to make a few more changes (maybe change colour, or make look more like a phone booth) so it's uniquely Astro. Hopefully we can keep it something you like :)

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    That's insane. Police boxes are owned by the police not the bbc. That is insane. I understand. Thanks for the explanation. Stupid stupid trademarks. Owning a police call box.

Billy

20. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Hey great job with the DeLorean! Another nice addition to the roster of ships!

I was thinking about the music, perhaps you could look for some nice chiptunes (archive.org has a lot of music distributed via CC licenses) and adjust the BPM in real time to match the game speed. I'm not sure how hard is to implement this (changing the BPM and not the pitch) but I think it would be really cool!

Good luck with the launch!