Universal Astro Attack (By Blocky Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 14, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I selected it myself. And it has not crashed again.

I was attempting the third and final unlock.

Billy

2. Ah ok, cool :)

Need to head to work, but I'll check back later!

Thanks for the feedback so far (and that crash, they're best to find now!). This build is mostly testing some new systems, so it's a little rough, but will get some of the new ships in for the next beta update :) I'll be able to use the secret system to add lots more stuff in the future.

3. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #143 LordShad0wz, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    You know, for down the road, it's something to think about. I know you were looking for things to make the Coinship even more special. My idea is you'd get to fight some special enemies like Klingonites and romulators in a special Coinship only mode with a special warping stars background. Again only available with the coin ship. Never with any other ship. It would definitely increase the value of the purchase on top of the double coins and the cool ship. It's something that someone could always do and never say well I don't need anymore coins so it's useless. It would never have that feeling.

What do you think? That way even when you get every ship and have a huge bank of coins, spending the money on the coin doubler would give you a permanent log lasting and amazing benefit no other ship will ever have.

Billy

4. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #144 LordShad0wz, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    That will be great. I really love them Mike. Now when you are done with these I demand a "last Starfighter" likeness. I want to kill the Kodan armada.

I know you can do it. I demand it. Hehe it would fit this game so amazingly well and to be honest no one else has ever done anything like it. If you have not seen the movie I'll buy it for you. It would be worth the money to me.

Billy

5. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    I like the different kinds of secret unlocks! I see the 4-part unlock has a visual/audible cue, but I didn't notice that in the sequence unlock. Maybe you could use a different sound/color flash (like an error sound) when the player misses the correct sequence, unless you wanna make those extra hard to find out.

I can help with the Brazilian Portuguese localization if you'd like. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but the game's title is being translated too and displayed using a standard typeface.

6. Ohhh - I hadn't thought of a sequence break sound, that's an interesting idea. It potentially could get a little confusing if they keep starting then breaking the sequence with the same ship, but I'll have a think about it. It might make them a little too obvious :p

I'm totally down for some help with the localization too :) Each of the localizations will be getting a special title once I've locked down the translated names.

Billy - I'd love to go back to the the Coinship, and we might do that when we get the time/budget :) Something special just for the Coinship. Definitely want to make it worth the investment! I've got the Last Starfighter in my list of theme ideas, so don't worry, haven't forgotten ;)

How are you feeling about the secrets? The unlock process? I'll eventually add lots more ways to unlock stuff, but this is mostly for how the unlocks work, and how you get them. I like the idea of giving a little notification of when you've made progress, and when you've unlocked the final. I'm hoping I can make that little unlock flash a bit fancier. See how I go.

7. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I like the unlock system. But you should remove the hints.

Eventually you'll find people on here like bitstern making videos on how to unlock things. It will spread the game big time.

The one secret I would have definitely unlocked on my own because the Galaxic is my favorite ship in the entire game so I frequently go to it after playing something else.

I really love it. I love the entire secret system. As I keep saying the game gets better and better.

And I apologize I didn't mean to infer the Coinship wasn't already worth the money. It is. But we had previously gone back and forth about adding more to it and I had thought about it yesterday and thought you'd like the idea. It goes with the whole Coinship Astroprize motif. But it's already worth the money. It is. This game is worth way more than $4. It's a steal at that price. Yes I'm biased. But this game just clicks with me.

Billy

8. The hints might be obvious now, but the final will be harder ;) I needed to make the easy so people could test them! But they aren't the final secrets, they'll change for release. My plan is to include at least a couple of secret ships each update, and slowly build up a library of cool stuff secrets to find! We have four planned for the next update, and as an example for one of the hints for release, one hint is "RROD"

If they do feel too obvious though, and are solved too quickly, I might end up dropping them (or maybe add some secret secrets? :p)

And don't worry, I'm not offended. I really want to add a theme for it! I think some star trek inspired ships would look really cool!

I'm really glad you like the game, I'm so happy to have such an awesome support team here - it makes a massive difference to the game, it wouldn't be what it is without all the great feedback and encouragement!

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    13,200 coins now muhahaha. Lol

Just so you are aware. I don't even know if it's an issue. Just now I was playing and I completed two of the missions in 1 play. So in the end screen I tapped the button to earn coins. I then tapped the two rush buttons. I got the exact same ad all 3 times. It was for Tome of the Sun.

Billy

10. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    The game just crashed again. Again it happened the second I was killed. I was using the Galaxic and it was a fresh loading of the game. I got hit, my ship started exploding, and bam the game was gone.

It was the same deal with the coin ship.

iOS 9.3.2

Billy

11. Definitely sounds like something I need to track down. So it happened after you were hit, but before the final explosion?

Which point would you say the crash was at?

1) Bullet Hit
    2) Ship Smoking
    3) Big explosion
    4) Game Over screen

12. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    The big explosion for sure. Both times.

Billy

13. Ahh cool - so it crashed directly after the big explosion?

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    During it. Right after it started.

Billy

15. Ok cool :) Thanks.

If you can think of any more details, or can find a way to reproduce it, let me know! I'll get on to this one on the weekend.

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I keep trying to find a way to reproduce it reliably but I can't. It's happening intermittently.

Billy

17. They're the worst bugs :( Honestly - getting the reproduction case is 90% of bug fixing. Once you know the problem, it's generally pretty easy to fix.

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Another crash.

Same deal. I got hit. Big explosion starts and bam the game is gone. I was using the gameboy ship.

It definitely isn't ship specific since this is the third type of ship. It's always when the big explosion is happening.

Billy

19. #159 Mr_Snuffle, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Ok cool - I've been trying to get it myself, but haven't had any luck :/ I'll keep trying!

I'm about to submit a new build. I've added some extra code where I think the crash is happening, and it might catch it. It's a bit of a long shot though, until I can get a reproducible case (repo case) on my end, it's really hard to debug.

Any details you have, doesn't matter how small, might help me track it down.

My current theory on what's happening is it's when the screenshot is being written to phone so it can be shared later. That happens right at the end of the big explosion, after you've had any post-game points. I've added some extra code there to hopefully detect any problems.

My analytics _should_ be letting me know the error, but it isn't. Which makes me think it could also be a memory issue and iOS is just killing the game. I'm going to start playing on my older iPad 3, and see if I can get any problems there.

It's hard :/ I need to track it down before I submit 1.2, which will in the coming weeks. I'm heading to Italy for a holiday, so I want to submit the build before heading off, so I can release when I get back!

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm giving you all the info I have. I've tried everything I can to reproduce it but I can't. It's extremely intermittent. I love this game so much I actually play multiple times a day and the crash has not occurred since my last post. That's how intermittent it is. Also I've tried running the game with multiple other apps running simultaneously and I've played for 45 minutes with no crash. So I don't think it's a memory problem. Also when the game crashes it actually minimizes. When you double click the home button it is there but when you tap it the game restarts.

I'm jealous you are going to Italy! That's awesome! Have a fun time my friend! I'll test the new build you release before you go and leave feedback.

Billy