Universal Astro Attack (By Blocky Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 14, 2016.

1. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Thanks man! That 1st place is gonna be tough, gotta get a little lucky with the power ups I think.

2. A little preview of what I've been working on today ;)

[​IMG]

This is a placeholder asset, but I've been working on getting the basic functionality in (which it is). If you buy the Coin Doubler ship, then you'll get double coin drops from invaders, double coins from gifts, double coins from mission and double coins from ads :) Oh, and you'll get a new ship!

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Once unlocked, it would be fantastic to be able to get the double coins from any of your other unlocked ships. Thanks, great work!

4. Buying the Coin Doubler ship unlocks the mode, and you can play with any ship!

5. uti4

uti4 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Male
    Localization & ASO
    why no soundtrack?

Is that a bug or something? Why there's no soundtrack? I think it'd add more dynamics to the game)

6. Ah :) Yes. Music. That's something that was very problematic. The issue is that the changing tempo of the game clashes with any background music. I don't want half-arsed music, and I don't have the time available at the moment to do it to a level I'd be happy with. I'll get to it when I have the resources to do it right.

7. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks for developing that coin doubler! :)

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #49 LordShad0wz, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Hell Yeah James now we're talking. Get this shit in and update today brother! My buy button is primed and loaded.

And see folks. Notice how it doubles coins from everything. Even gifts and missions. Most devs would only double coins from in game. But not Mr Snuffle. You get everything doubled. That's class and value.

And yeah I had to say Mr Snuffle. I mean really. Lol.

Billy

9. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks that wasn't very clear. Kudos

10. Hah, Mr Snuffle is a handle I don't use very often anymore, but it's sort of stuck now :p

My thinking is that if you buy the coin doubler, you're basically buying the game. I need to be a little careful that there aren't so many coins that you just unlock everything immediately and it's not fun anymore, but I definitely want to make sure it's worth your time.

I'm still getting my head around the explosion of new users this weekend, but I'll need to sit down and sort out some dates soon. I'm leaning towards a 6 week cycle for new updates, but it might be a little more or less, haven't decided yet.

I'll keep everyone in the loop though :)

11. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Maby another feature you could add:

a statistics page with total enemies shot down, total playthroughs, total time played, etc :)

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    So I said screw it and starting buy ships. I figured I needed to contribute to the further development in some way. I do watch ads too so hopefully it all helps.

I bought the Astro Express because it looks cool as hell and at first I didn't get it. That's the Futurama ship isn't it? Anyway I really like the Astro Express and I think it would look really good paired with a H.G. Wells, invader theme. Or even H.P. Lovecraft theme. Maybe something with tentacles? And the best part of using any of that stuff is it's all public domain.#

13. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    #54 Smurgendorf, Apr 17, 2016
    I find myself wishing I could hold my fire and let tons of enemies be on the screen at once for the challenge of eliminating a massive backlog of enemies. Maybe allow two fingers touching as way to stop shooting? Could even allow for cool modes like a no fire mode where you have to just dodge as long as you can.

14. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Well truth be told I'm sure you've seen on my Twitter, I haven't posted half of the ships I've already unlocked. I'm experienced though. No matter what you will find people go through the ships fast.

To keep longevity in the future you could do so many things. If the next Apple beta indeed fixes Gamecenter you could add a ton of achievements. People loooooove achievements. Another suggestion would be to make upgrades as coin sinks. Maybe each ship could be upgraded so it fires a bit faster or something like that. Adding more ships would always be the best but I know that's a long process. You guys really have such attention to detail and that's what sets this game apart from other games in this genre on the AppStore. I mean truthfully when you move the ships and see they are in real 3D and are full models it's just awesome.

I hope you can get the coin doubler in before 6 weeks though. We all want and need it. Let us show you and your team some love back!

Btw that mission where I need to collide 3000 enemies. I don't know I think it's too much. I've been working on it for 2 days and I'm not half way there yet. Any chance you could lower it a bit?

Billy

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #56 LordShad0wz, Apr 17, 2016
    James,

I was playing just now and had an idea. I don't know why I did not think of this during the dozens of hours playing in the beta. Just to add some unpredictability and intensity to the game could you make it so enemies also appear out of the left and right sides of the screen randomly? Think about it. It could be a coin dropping mothership but that next one is a humongous hard to kill enemy ship half way down your board!

What do you and everyone else think? Would it be hard to implement? Since you already have there coin drop mothership coming from the left I wouldn't think it would be to hard to make it a random enemy or a coin drop mothership, but from both sides.

Billy

16. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Different weapons or just upgrades would be damn awesome. Some missiles, SkyForce style would be an amazing addition. Not sure what the long term plans are but thus kind of stuff could add to the games longevity.

17. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Well hey there, Planet Express in Red. I will buy one of you, too, as I am a huge Futurama fan (note the head-in-a-jar avatar).

Also, I had all four power-ups at once!

Attached Files:

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Wow! I've only gotten all four power ups a few times. Nice going. Nice ship :)

I'll still take my Galaxic any day though. It's my all time favorite.

Billy

19. That's not a bad idea :) also not that difficult. I'll be looking to extend the gameplay in future updates, and I've build the game around being able to do that.

While I'm not looking and changing individual ships, mostly for time reasons, there are some things I've build the game around being able to extend.

New enemy wave types is one of them. Another way to extend the gameplay is new weapon powerups. Adding new missions isnt too bad either. These ideas will need lots of play testing before getting them out!

Update 1.1 is mostly going to be about new ships, game tuning and the coin doubler, but after that I'll have a think about what comes next :)

Oh, and Jerutix, 4 power ups at once?! I haven't even got that before! Mind if I share the image on Facebook/Twitter?