Universal Astro Attack (By Blocky Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 14, 2016.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    There was an Android version during beta testing so it's probably coming later.

2. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #22 LordShad0wz, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Btw I forgot to mention if you also have another $1 I'd purchase the power glove ship too. The theme that comes with that ship is phenomenal. I forgot to mention it.

Killing enemy 3DS's with your Nintendo power glove is savage lol

And yea yea I know. Likeness's. :wink:

I got the dreaded sloth ship last night. I still have PTSD with this ship. During the early beta the prize machine was broken and I got the sloth 8 times in a row. The horror. Lol

Where's the feedback people? How would you change the game? What would you add? They have an awesome design team and always look for new ship and theme designs. I already asked for a last Starfighter ship and theme. I want to blast some Kodan armada fighters! I really really really hope they will do it. It would be amazing.

Billy

3. uti4

uti4 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Male
    Localization & ASO
    Noticed this game in the forums here with a decent amount of comments and views. decided to give it a try. And... Hell Yeah! The game looks is awesomesauce! It reminds me of those 8-bit games we all have on our consoles back in 90's. I had a Dandy console, and this sort of shoot'em'up space games was my most favorite ones! Really glad that nowadays there's a trend to remaster on mobiles old stuff from 80s-90s.

However, after first several sessions I noticed that it's a bit tricky to control a plane with you thumb. You need to move fast maneuvering among enemy bullets and ships, but I'm unable to move my thumb fast enough plus to collect coins and weaponry. When I hold the phone in my left hand and play the game with a finger of my right hand - it moves faster. As for me, the controls are not optimized to their best. Maybe you devs can adjust the correlation between the touch and the speed it reflects on the playing field...:rolleyes:

4. blastemup

blastemup Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Very fun game-needs a coin doubler though. Watching ad only gave me 20 coins. Takes many runs to get 200 coins. Maybe I am just bad at the game.

5. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    This is my game of the week. Just a great slice of fun that'll keep me coming back, although I seem to be pretty crap at it!

Cool ships, clever ad monetisation - only thing for me is it needs a ZX buzzer style soundtrack (a la Sheepy's games) then it would be even more ace.

Oh, and I'd love some achievements, of course :)

Splendid stuff.

6. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Any game that brings back retro shmup action and lets me fly a PS1 spaceship is awesome in my book, And its fun too!

7. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Such an epic beta. Definitely right up there with all the best shmups of old and new. Hands down great game done righteously in every regard.

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Really digging this one. Just got Samus' ship, which is pretty cool. I've been looking for a shump for a while (not big into the genre), and I think this is what I've been looking for!

9. Really glad that people are enjoying the game :)

I'll be posting regularly in here, letting people know what's going on, and asking for feedback. I also read everything, good and bad! I can't promise I'll implement everything, but I take it all on board.

Just as an update on the status of the game, it's been reviewing well, and people are having fun, which is awesome :D At this point, I'm trying to balance my time between more development, and doing the PR thing. It's a bit tough, both those roles are very time consuming.

I generally set aside at least a day a week for development, I have a day job, so I need to be picky about what I work on. It's good though, it ends up keeping the game focused, and I put a lot of thought into each feature I'm going to commit time to.

That's just a bit about the development process, I'm very open about it. :)

Thanks everyone for your support so far, it means the world to me. My fear was I'd release the game and no one would play it!

10. Fedorov

Fedorov Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Grabbing this NOW! I'll post feedback later, sounds like my kinda shmup

11. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Was looking for a coin doubler as well. I'm sad there isn't. Good game anyway!

12. It's getting pretty high on my priority list :p

13. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I will definitely buy it if you add it.

14. Yeah, I'm picking up that a lot of people are keen on it :D Don't worry, I've been putting some thought into it! I've spoken in the past about trying to find a way to make it more than just a doubler (sort of a once off purchase that makes gives you a bunch of stuff on top of a doubler), but I'm not sure I'll have that stuff in, but I'm definitely trying to think of ways I can get in the basic functionality ASAP.

Also, I thought I'd throw in a Screenshot Saturday gif :)

[​IMG]

15. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Excellent review, Billy. This game is all you said and more. I usually get bored with these after a few rounds, but I can see myself playing this for a long time. It's really JUST RIGHT...I took your advice and purchased Shipception to support the dev and it's a very cool ship. Keep up the good work, and I hope you have great success.
    And add me to the masses who would instantly purchase a coin doubler. That is my usual go-to IAP.

16. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    You can definitely count me in for the coin doubler, James. Lately I've sort of gotten hooked on unlocking characters in the high score chasing, collect coins to unlock characters type games so I'd rather not purchase them out right. I want to "earn" them.

The game is super fun, James. Thanks.

17. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    I'm back on the leaderboards, thanks to iOS 9.3.2 beta!! \o/

Attached Files:

18. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #38 fabianb, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Ok, I'm addicted to this game, lol. I'll definately buy a coin doubler once thats out. You deserved my money dev. I just wrote a 5 star review for you in the appstore.

By the way, I would love more weapon powerups as it's pretty much bare bones right now.

19. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    NOOOOO!

Seriously though good for you. I can't wait see you catch up to those that passed you.

20. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I think if you follow TA's "just make Crossy Road" advice, you could do a coin doubler that comes with an exclusive ship and/or theme. That makes it even more valuable, in my opinion.

I agree. Maybe another thing to do with coins would be upgrade time on power ups? That might break the game though, so ignore that. Or coins could also be used to unlock additional powers?