Universal Astro Attack (By Blocky Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 14, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    :Taps Foot:

Let's do this! Come on Apple.

Billy

2. Beta update is available!

Patch notes

-----

Get that boot disk ready, because you'll need all the ram you can spare for these new ships! We've got four new ships inspired by some of our DOS favourites - including the super keen BB-Rocket, and deadly Rapta.

We've also got 22 new achievements to go complete! Go earn those 'cheevos!

Changes in this version:
    - 5 new ships inspired by DOS classics, complete with unique enemies!
    - 22 achievements to achieve for totally worthwhile game points!
    - Fingers getting sore? Check out the new control sensitivity options!
    - Added better support for different cheat codes in the console
    - Added some placeholder translation for some the new text
    - Tweaked the size of the Chainis
    - Sped up movement in FPS mode
    - Various bits of polish and bug fixes

Things still broken
    - Some of the translation still needs work
    - Achievement names are not final, they'll be fancier!
    - New ships aren't final! We'll be doing another art pass and adding more sweet particle effects
    - Share images for new ships aren't final

Things to test
    - General stability, we're locking down features for next build
    - Achievements! Are they too easy? Too hard?
    - Check out the new ships? Let us know what you think!
    - Try some of the different control sensitivity settings. Are they helpful?

3. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #283 LordShad0wz, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Alright!

I love the increased sensitivity! I upped it one notch and it's perfect. I no longer have any issue reaching the edges of the screen! It's also really awesome in FPS mode. Just awesome!

I love the new ships and enemies. Some I don't recognize. The copters blades need to move however. They look weird frozen!

I love the new achievements. I've gotten a bunch of them already!

Oh and I love the size of the Chainis now. That's perfect! As well as the new Doom boss. The artwork on the doom bosses are really amazing. I love the new boss especially when I first saw it coming at me in FPS mode. Lol I was like wtf is that coming at me?

So far so good. No crashes or bugs that I can visually see. As I said the increased sensitivity is just awesome! Thank you for adding that!

Billy

4. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #284 LordShad0wz, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    I just found an an issue. Play the game using the Rapta. Get the power up that enlarges the ships attack. The missile is much much bigger than the Rapta itself lol. It needs to be resized. It's way oversized with that power up. I'm going to check the other new ships now for this issue.

Edit- Steamcopter the attack is weird. It's angled to the right and not centered. Is that intended? It seems off. Can it be centered?

Billy

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I haven't played this in a while. Today I decided to check out this FPS mode but I can't figure out how to turn it on. Can anyone fill me in, please.

6. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    It's not out yet. It's in beta. The version that's out however has Voltron *cough* ASTRON! It also has the last Starfighter from the movie.

Billy

7. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I should have mentioned, I'm actually using the TestFlight version that just updated. I have, I think, 2 of the Doom ships, but can't figure out the FPS mode.

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Go to any Doom ship. Triple tap Astro Attack and a command line will open up. Input the old God mode code from doom and bam you are in FPS mode.

Here's a pic with the missile launcher!

Billy

Attached Files:

9. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Awesome, thanks. I'll be checking it out. This game has come so far, even since release. It's amazing.

10. Close ;) but not quite! It's not god mode, but no clipping

So it's idclip to enable fps mode

11. This is something I'm still a bit on the fence about. Right now I've hidden FPS mode pretty deep, which means people are going to struggle to find it. I do want people to play it though, but I also love the idea of it being something a little hidden and special.

I did add some extra codes, so people are more likely to find it, I'm a little paranoid that some people might start leaving bad reviews if they see the leaderboard, have no idea where FPS mode is, and get frustrated. If people start putting in random stuff, 'fps' will activate the mode now too (and it makes it quicker to type for faster access :p)

I'm taking a bit of a risk with this one, and I'd love to get feedback on it's current state.

Thanks for the feedback too, Billy. There are some bugs with those achievements I still need to fix, and definitely need to do another art pass on the DOS ships. I know some of them are a bit more obscure too.

BB-Rocket is from Commander Keen
    Rapta is from... well... Raptor
    Ornith is from Dune 1
    Steamcopter is from Warcraft

12. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    What do you mean your on the fence? I freaken love it! I think it's effing awesome. NO ONE has EVER done this!

I love it! If you take it out I'm revolting. Hehe

Billy

13. Hah! Don't worry! FPS mode isn't going anywhere. I'm mostly looking to tweak how to get to the command console. Looking to replace the triple tap with a mystery '~' button that only appears for Doomed ships

14. Hey everyone! Thought I'd try something a bit different today, and I'm going to stream my work. I'm just getting everything set up, but I'll be starting soon-ish

If you're keen to jump in and see the development process of Astro, you can watch it live in the mobcrush app, or just here

https://www.mobcrush.com/TimeJockey

15. New test flight build is available!

Patch notes to follow

-------

Listen up, Pilots!

This is the last update before submitting 1.3! Thanks so much to everyone for their awesome support and feedback. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite updates so far. I grew up with 80s and 90s PC games, and this channels something very close to my heart.

In this version, there has been a small change to how you access the Doomed console. Now, stead of tapping three times on the logo, there is a little '~' button in the top right. Tap that, and open the console :)

Changes
    - Final art for new DOS ships!
    - Changed the console to open with a '~' key
    - Added a few more cheat codes to open FPS Mode (idkfa)
    - New achievement names!
    - Tweaked position is AstroGuy in FPS mode
    - Rotated shields for FPS mode
    - Fixed a bunch of achievement bugs
    - Updated some achievement target values
    - Changed crossover offer to stop once you've opened it once
    - Tweaked the frequency of some of the post game offers
    - Tuned the first player experience, and the return player experience more likely give you the latest ships
    - New share images!

Things still broken:
    - Final localization still pending

Things to test
    - Test out the achievements! There are 22 in there, see if you can get them all
    - General stability
    - FPS mode!

Thanks so much for the help with this build. No rest though, once this is out the door on to the next update!

Pew pew,
    James

16. I found a bug with the achievements not rewarding correctly if you've already met the criteria (like unlocking 10 ships). I've squashed that one and it'll be fixed for release :)

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #297 LordShad0wz, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    I've spent hours. I went through every ship. I've done every mission. I've had no crashes or issues. Also so you know I'm on IOS 9.3.4 so it's the absolute latest firmware. Using an IPhone 6.

I love the ~ button with the doom ships. That was a good idea.

The only thing I think I need to mention is there might be an issue for you to check out with your ad mediation. As I said I was doing rapid mission after mission during some play sessions. One recurring thing I did notice was if I complete both short missions at the sametime, when I go to view the ads to renew them, the exact same ad will play twice. It's everytime. The same ad. So I don't know if you are getting awarded for the view or not. You kinda told me how it works but you know better than me. I just want to make sure you get paid. I don't want to waste my time and data if your not getting paid.

I can't wait for everyone to get this update. People are going to shit themselves that first time they put the game into first person mode. It's just awesome! I love the entire msdos line up. The Rapta is my favorite along with the secret ship which I posted to Twitter.

Do you think after this update is out Mike will have time to make those Kodan ships? If not could I ask that you switch the enemies on the last fighter to the traditional Astro Attack enemies. I think it would be more fitting.

What's the next idea for the game? It's already insane all the genres and ideas you've tapped with this one game! I think you should do the Descent fighters and enemies. What else? You should do more cross promotion. You should contact Hipster Whale. I wanna see the Crossy Chicken in here hahahahaha!

Billy

18. Jeffrey_Xsu

Jeffrey_Xsu New Member

Aug 13, 2016
    This Game remind me of Galaxian:)

19. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Wait until you get this next update. I'm telling you. It really changes things up.

Billy

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Well this is a first. I completed all 3 missions in 1 play as well as have a chance for more coins. 4 ads here we go lol. I'm making great progress on the achievements!

Billy

Attached Files: