iPad Astral: Origin (by Yangxi Zhou)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by IncomingGames, Sep 12, 2015.

1. IncomingGames

IncomingGames Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    Please check the new changes

Hi guys, we just edited our description of this thread, which explains the changes of energy system, so you can have a check. Besides we'd love to hear how you guys think about our level design and the boss battle, if it is really killing for you?

2. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    The beta update is really nice. Option to remove energy for a couple dollars is huge! As well as just listening to all the feedback and starting to tweak the elements TA users reported has this game moving towards building a stronger customer base. At least more love from die hard gamers like myself.

3. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    #83 IncomingGames, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Thanks for your post, rezn. Glad to hear that you like Astral's new version.

As for the price of Endless Energy, we set it $2 because we want to give it a 50% discount for about one week. Doing that is to make up for those who have already paid $1 for our game in v1.0.1.

In the future version, we will working on "Cloud Data Storage" which takes good care of your data and makes you don't have to worry about your loss if you changed your device. And, we would care about any feedback and do as it said as quickly as we can if we think it's reasonable and also can be done with our current ability, as always.

4. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    New version is released.

Hi guys, the V1.0.3 has been released.

This new version supports iPad, which makes it universal. Besides, we make some changes about the 'damn' energy system and also improve the gameplay in V1.0.3.
    Currently we just added some new features (like Game Center support, iCloud integration, etc.) in V1.0.4 And TestFlight for V1.0.4 is also available, so for every one who has interest, we sincerely invite you to test it for us by contacting us via e-mail([email protected]).

As always, we‘d love to hear your any idea and discuss with you in this thread, so join us.

5. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok,

Since you guys added a way to purchase unlimited energy I put my money where my mouth is and purchased the IAP. However. I've started playing. I have played to the level where you are learning to fly using your attacks. Does anyone else have issues with actually killing things? I am extremely frustrated. I tap and tap and sometimes hit enemies and sometimes don't and take damage and die. It's frustrating. Sometimes it's so sensitive I end up switching lanes and die.

If I tap to attack it should hit he enemy. I'm beyond frustrated. I don't even want to play further.

I'm running the iPhone 5s with iOS 8.4.1

Billy

6. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    #86 IncomingGames, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Hi billy

So sorry that made you frustrated,but I think right now there is no way but to practice more.

The reason your attack missed is that every attack has its range. Now the range is a half sphere with 4m radium, and this sphere is attached to character for 0.4s. That means if you tapped but the collision sphere doesn't hit any enemy in 0.4s, your attack is missed. So here is a trick, try tap-tap-tap and dont stop until you have to change lanes. That would create a seamless attacking and help a lot.

The reason why we don't add something like adjust player position automatically to ensure you hit enemy every time is that all barriers is positioned manually instead of random generated, that would help us to build a very complex environment. Also, enemy has HP and hero has its attack point, if the hero should attack an enemy twice that means we need to adjust player position twice, it may cause an bad ending like running into walls yet you don't have enough time to react(enemy would back off for a long distance while it is hit, no way to detect how long that is because we do not know how many damage could a hero does to it, that means it could be pushed into walls and dead).

So Astral is cruel in this way. No automatic things, every thing needs to be done precisely by yourself.

It's all about timing and practice,since this kind of controll is really new(other combat-runner use swipe to automatic detect the enemy and trigger attacks),I think you will need to pratice a little bit.

If you have any ideas about the controll system so that could makes people feel easier,please tell us and we will take a serious consideration.

Thanks.

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yep, my money's in, too. Actually right after i updated a day ago. Only $1 to get rid of the energy system.

I only had time to play the first five levels, but i can confirm two things...
    The swiping seems to be much more responsive, and i agree with the Devs, there is a challenging learning curve to time your stuff together.

I also see Shadowz point...the tap/swipe detection is close, easy to mess up here and there.

These Devs are so active here, listened to the customers AND changed their pay-model. Not only for that alone (hey, i like this game) i will buy a consumable iap to say thanks.

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    As soon as they add some form of cloud saves I'll purchase consumable IAP to further support these devs. I may not fully like the attacking/missing issue and I keep trying but it's not gotten any less frustrating. But at the same time these devs are very responsive and if anyone were to go back and read this entire thread you can see these people care about this game and care about their players. That alone deserves a purchase and these are the people we as a player base should be supporting. I really mean this. This game, just looking at it, is beautiful. When you play it the artwork is simply stunning and the colors PPP. A lot of love went into this.

Billy

9. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    #89 IncomingGames, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply and support. You see we have did some research on how people behave when they play Astral.

It turns out most people would have a hard time if they are using thumb. When they are tapping, they usually slide a little bit so that triggered a swipe by mistake. However, this kind of slides are always like this. So if we do some math on the angular misalignment, it might help a lot to solve the Tap/Swipe messed problem.

[​IMG]

And of course, a virtual button, as others have mentioned earlier, would be much more precise if players wish to play game using it. We will do both improvements in the next patch.

10. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    #90 IncomingGames, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply and support. We are working on the cloud server hard these days, for we understand the frustrating when your data is lost especially if you paid it. And we also planning to bring this game to the next level by adding some multiplayer features along with new planets and gameplays in the next expansion(not next patch), and all that is based on cloud service.

I think it's time for us to make more videos that could help lots of frustrating or even angry players to save the day. And let them enjoy the entire gameplay, not just stuck at Planet 1.

We really designed levels carefully instead of random generation and spend lots of time on it. So we will working on and let more and more people could enjoy more and suffer less(with a reasonable degree).

[​IMG]

And we also think adjust camera position a little bit might help with reckoning the distance between character and enemies. We might put it into setting list for player to adjust it by himself, we still need more discussions about this feature.

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    When I'm playing I feel more like the hit detection is off. The enemy hits me 100% of the time. I can tap and tap or try to Time it and tap tap tap and I just run through as I'm swinging and take damage or die. I don't know if a button would do it. In the frantic gameplay you'd miss the button position. I keep trying. Maybe I just suck lol I have no issues with other running games. For instance the ninja game called Yurei Ninja, a free game from Bulkypix has a similar control scheme and I have no issues whatsoever.

Thank you for continuing to work on the game.

Billy

12. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    #92 IncomingGames, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Hi, Billy
    Thanks for the amazing game "Yurei Ninja" you promoted to us, it's textbook.
    In this game we found two designs that helps to solve the "Miss" issue:
    1. If you changed lane, character will do an automatic attack if the enemy is near.
    2. If enemy is far away yet at the same lane character is at, a range attack will be triggered.
    That is why you don't miss the attack so much.

I was suggesting that you only have this issue from time to time in Astral:Origin because that is normal for a new player, in order not to miss an attack then die so easily you will need to level your character up and restore HP often, but I never thought it could be a such serious problem as you said "100% in a time". That more sounds like a BUG. It usually happen when framerate is low on some old devices. But since you are using iPhone5s, which is the same as I am, I don't think that is caused by bad framerate.

And by "tap-tap", I really mean you should do it fast, an attack only exist for 0.4s, the time between each tap should be no more than 0.4s. I know it sounds strange to do like this, but keep your finger busy really helps to make you in the zone to do some impressive and smooth movements, just think about how the champions play Warcraft3 and those who "dash-dash" instead of running in DMC or those who switch weapons often by pressing "1-2-1-2" on keyboard in a FPS game.

In the meantime, we will search for more new fleshes to test this game, and find out if someone else has the same problem as you do and made some improvements.

13. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Always enjoy your input to games. A lot of times I agree with your comments and a lot of times I look at your comments for insight to these games

14. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I'm having a problem with my taps and swipes not registering . Thought it might be my device but happens on both of them. It's the first stage of the game . Ten tries and same problems occurring. Anyone else having this problem.

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    See that's how I feel is what's happening. I'm tapping and sometimes it works and sometimes I do nothing and in frozen going through and then all of a sudden all my moves go. It's so frustrating I just paid for it but I don't even want to play. I want to throw the phone. It's frustrating. I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with other similar games. I even gave. An example. Another person with a similar experience. Come on devs.

Billy

16. IncomingGames

Aug 17, 2015
    China
    Sorry for the late reply. What happen to you did not happened to any of us, the devs and testers(some of the tester is from TA after we posted this thread) before. I think problem will be solved easily if we know what we are facing and how to reproduce it. Would you mind help us to solve it by asking one of your friends to record a video of how you playing this game and send or share it to us so we can have a detail look that what is happening?

The only way I can reproduce a similar problem is to lay my another thumb on the screen when holding the device. This game does not support muilttouch right now and so be careful to make sure only one finger on the screen. If you are playing with thumbs, beware that don’t let part of your hand touched screen especially when you are using large size devices. You can trigger actions anywhere on the screen, choose the right-down corner if you are using right hand.

I don’t know if this is what happening to you, but this problem exist so we will fix it in a hurry.(I’ve tested on some other runners, Subway surf did this cleverly by not respond at all if it detect two fingers, that is a clear signal to user that they are not inputing correctly).

17. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey there,

just wanted to give a huge shoutout to the devs! Was a pleasure to work with them on the beta versions and make the game better. They truly care and are very passionate about their game. If you like what you see, try out the game... and if you don't like what you see let the devs know, they truly care.

Regards