iPad Asterope [+ Bonus for game developers]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nixarn, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Co-founder / Game Developer
    Finland
    Hey guys,

I hope this is not inappropriate but I did see some other posts that works as advertisement for some independent developers' games. Instead of faking a "Oh look what I found, this game is cool" I thought I'd rather be honest about it.

So this is my game Asterope:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And it's website: www.AsteropeGame.com

And PocketGamer's review: Asterope Review @ PocketGamer

iTunes Link: Asterope in iTunes

But there's something else I wanted to share with this community, you seem to be a very active community (The most active iPhone Game community?). I wrote an article on how I did the game, I don't focus much on the code but more what steps to take from a bigger point of view and how to keep motivated.

It's at GameDev.Net: Start to Finish: Publishing a Commercial iPhone Game

I hope you give it a peak and get some good value from it!! And please comment and fire questions at me about the development progress if you have any. I'll be glad to answer anything.

Niklas

Oh, and BTW I lowered the price today, gonna keep it lowered until the end of this month.

2. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Hey nix I already had a post of your game here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=572

I actually enjoyed it, my only quip is that I hope that there will be an update that will add more missions as I think the original 10 ones was really short :)

And regarding the price drop, I think I predicted that too on my post last week :)

3. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

Hey, Mr. Developer!

I'm going to buy this game and try it out; just because you were honest about this game, and the price drop.

Nixarn; please stay here at touchArcade and post every day. I've found that known developers in the community tend to get more potential buyers. :)

Armbruster

4. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Oh, cool, didn't notice that one. And _lol_ at the comment "Mr. Dev, shamelessly plugging your own game. For shame." I guess it's a common practice.

Yeah, I'll try to do that, looks like the most active iPhone game related forum out there.

5. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    welcome to the board my friend! I've had my eye on your app since it's release, and I think it's about time I gave it a shot!

6. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I take the blame on that one, arn doesn't want that anymore though.

Hey I read your article, it is great by the way.

7. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

Looks Good

I might get it. Seems like a little too much. A dollar less would be a good price. It should also have more levels.
    One question: Do you have to press the button to stop hanging on or can you just touch anywhere on the screen?

8. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Awesome, I love reading post-mortems. Seems like you have some good advice in the article - staying motivated is definitely the toughest part of (single person) game development.

Hopefully Apple will allow developers to share coding advice with newcomers/the world. I'd love to make a game for the iPod/iPhone, but it'll be hard to get into it without a large body of online advice for the language.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I think we must press the button, but I like your idea. We should be able to tap anywhere to release the rope.

10. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    That's an excellent article, thank you for sharing your experiences and development process. Haven't tried the game yet, but I'll think I'll grab a copy today :)

11. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Yeah, exactly, I think they recently did drop the NDA, but it was a bit unclear if I was still under it when I had signed it earlier and not signed a new one, so I didn't want to risk getting my app removed.

I compared the price of other games in the AppStore when set the original price. Check the Asterope website, it is a high quality game from start to finish. That's also the reason behind the 10 levels, I wanted great levels and not just to pump out more and more levels just to make it longer. So the quality is high, and there's a nice story progressing.

But who wouldn't want a one dollar price :) But there's _so_ much crap in the app store for one dollar I didn't want to go there. And so far the game is far from having earned enough to pay itself back for the time lost.

Yeah, I've gotten that suggestion from a few. I'm considering that an option in an update. But that will not allow the player to quickly shoot anywhere else, you'd fist have to release, then re-shoot and I'm worried it might be confusing to know if the ship shoots or releases the rope.

Nixarn

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    hey nixarn,

I remember hearing about Asterope on the g1 so I got it as soon as I saw it in the appstore.

How was your experience coding for each one? Was it difficult to port it?

13. Nixarn

Nixarn Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Finland
    Well, Android is in Java and iPhone uses C/C++ and Obj-C so that's the big difference. So Android was easier in the sense that stuff like memory handling was taken care of for you. But although Android and iPhone OS have the same type of UI elements I found it much easier to do stuff using the iPhone interface builder than writing the XML that built UI:s in Android.

Hmm to sum it up I'd say:

Android

+ It's Java. I like the syntax, code looks clean and memory is handled for you
    + Develop on any OS. I hadn't tried OS X at all when I start porting and improving Asterope for the iPhone. So it was all new and I still prefer Windows over OS X, but after I had worked a while in OS X it did grow a bit on me. I will be getting a mac book soon, had a crappy mac mini borrowed the the deving.
    - It's Java. Android apps will never run as fast as iPhone apps even though both were running on the same cpu as Android apps won't get compiled to machine code and the Android OS will need to take care of memory management.
    - No graphical UI builder
    - I had no real device to try it on
    - Ugly default UI components

iPhone

+ Getting your game built to machine code is awesome. I've got some years of j2me development behind me, and it's no fun.
    + The interface builder is great! Drag dropping stuff is really cool
    + The iPhone is such a powerful device so it was really cool to work with
    + Debugging was great, you could run the app on the device and still debug it with your computer
    + The other tools. There are great great tools in the SDK for measuring performance and memory leaks.
    + The UI library is big and awesome. You really want to make stuff look good on the iPhone when the rest looks so good.
    - Objective-C was not fun to learn
    - XCode is not as good as Visual Studio that I'm used to.

But I might start to like both Obj-C and XCode after having worked with them more.

Niklas

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    asterope lite

I believe he meant one dollar less, not $1.
    I agree your game is very polished, it's just a pity that Apple didn't have a good demo procedure. I'm sure it can help sales a lot instead of dropping the price.

I recommend you make a lite version, mainly to show off the level of polish and fun of your game. Maybe just the tutorial + mini level?

I'm saying this because I've bought many games after trying the lite version. I was skeptical, but then I gave its lite version a try and bought the full version.

There are so many things people can see from a lite version: how the control works, how polished it is, how sluggish / smooth, how is the gameplay, does it suit their taste, etc. Of course, some people might not like the demo and decide not to buy it, but I'm sure some will like it and buy straight away :)

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It sure will grow on you, especially as you discover all the little tricks, shortcuts, and how-to. Get a Parallel Desktop too so you can work in Mac and Windows simultaneously.

16. Magnulus

Magnulus Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Student + Barista
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I bought Asterope the same day I got my Touch (A week ago) and I absolutely loved it. Original gameplay that fits perfectly with the iPod's controls and simple, slick graphics.

My only wish is that at some point you update with extra levels for freeplay and such. If you have a level editor that's easily distributable, you could even have level designing contests (prize would be to have your level in the game, I suppose) to pick some good levels for further updates. However, even without more levels, it was still worth my money and I'm glad I spent it.

Looking forward to your next game!