Universal Assassin's Creed Identity (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    #141 Bucktroo, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    I agree with you. I'm having a blast (even though my battery is dying and my phone is super hot).

Thus far, unless I just want some really pretty clothes or unless I want to just have a mass stash of coins, I see no need to spend on iAP. I'm sure I will at some point, if I keep enjoying the game as I am.

But for $4.99, it's gorgeous, no timers, and most importantly...you can leap of faith!!

Only thing I don't agree with you on (or not sure I should say) is that it's 60fps. Maybe it is, but I just don't see this being 60fps (keep in mind I'm using an iPhone 6, not a 6s). To me, it doesn't "feel" like it's 60fps. Still really smooth though.

2. AeroSmash

AeroSmash Well-Known Member

May 11, 2015
    Hey guys is this normal? Chapter 2 still not available since soft launch?... Or should I remove my old save?
    [​IMG]

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I’ve played for a good few hours now and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. You will get through the campaign missions fairly quickly, but the real meat of the game is in the contract missions. The shop items seem expensive at first but once you get further into the game you can easily earn several thousand coins per mission with challenge reward bonuses. I’m not far off 60,000 coins and eying up one of the new outfits.

4. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's normal. I think they have done it to encourage players to do contract missions. I'm sure it will be unlocked a little further down the line.

5. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I'm hoping this isn't going to be part of iAP. I totally support the cosmetic/speed up options, but to treat this as "expansion" material and charge for it...hmmm...

6. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I think it will be a free update/unlock. They have probably done it to stop players powering through the campaign too quickly.

7. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Ahh, I gotcha.

8. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I am willing to purchase this game on my USA account if I can play it offline- I have spent 30 minutes with the newer version- it's ok
    But this is not the true assassin's I was waiting for.
    The world is boring, it's not an open world
    And
    The world feels suffer from the same symptoms
    Gangster. Vegas suffered from
    It will be a 3 stars and a 1/2 if an update make it playable offline

9. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
  10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How surprising.

11. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    So you're saying "it's not the AC you were waiting for" but then you said you've spent 30 mins on the newer version. I'm assuming you've played soft launch...so what did you think would change? The gameplay entirely? Because you're saying the world is boring, surely you didn't think the world/gameplay itself would change drastically between soft and world launch....

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Did you play the soft launch? I'd love to know what's different other than the initial price tag.

13. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Yup, I was able to get it free

14. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    You know me :)
    I am telling you this is a good game and worth the money
    It's not the best assasins creed ever but it's a good game worth it's price.

15. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I didn't, but there are quite a few YouTube videos of the gameplay. That was my biggest argument to his post.

I'm not sure why someone playing the game in soft launch would expect a drastic change in gameplay (I get the F2P to pay model change).

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    And I do want to play it! I've just decided to wait it out after the Pirates thing. I'd rather spend my $5 on extra items in the game once it goes free. If it never does, then I'll buy it eventually. I just find it funny that after people's complaints they just slapped a price tag on it, but kept a lot of f2p currency. If people didn't complain in soft launch, would we have almost the same game just without a price tag? I've still got Pirates, and am casually playing that still.

17. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #157 Echoen, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    I had high hopes for the game but I expected too much as a long-time hardcore AC fan (I buy those limited editions and even repurchased the Playstation games on Steam). Sadly, it's not the mobile Assassin's Creed game I was waiting for. It's a distilled game made for the mobile scene requiring internet to play with a hub to do all the missions you've come to know in AC games, just without any story (no, the Codex doesn't cut it). It's ridiculously easy so the IAPs for only one of the two currencies serve nothing other than to give you costumes ASAP or to make the game an absolute walk in the park with a head start in gear. There's plenty of coins and the 2nd currency is purely from gameplay so don't fret about f2p p2w gripes.

The environments are beautiful and are somewhat simplified versions of the console renders. Characters are detailed and animations are copy-paste good. You just won't see multiple variants for actions or idle movement.

Basic movement is solid and actions are made easy for tapping with buttons. Platforming was my absolute favorite thing to do in the console/PC games because of how fluid it was. Ubisoft just couldn't nail the same feel here. I found it peculiar you can tap to move using the minimap like in RTS games (Edit: tap controls interfere with the virtual sticks). The system shows its shortcomings once you deal with verticality and finding edges you can drop off of. It becomes really clunky and restricted, not like on console where you could attempt to ascend anything or do a wall jump. Climbing buildings is automated but you can't hang and move sideways which is disappointing. I often found myself unable to do what I was accustomed to doing like leaping across a gap at an angle (there's no manual jump button), climbing down walls (you just fall down if you press down while auto climbing), among other nuisances. People also feel really small when you collide into them.

Edit: Next to platforming, battles are what I enjoyed most in the non-mobile platforms. If you've played a lot of the Assassin's Creed console/PC games, you'll quickly notice how watered down the battle controls feel. Parrying is also sluggish instead of instant because of the lengthy tap-hold delay. There's only one animation each for both high profile and low profile kills. I also wish there was a sprint button but it's restricted to a run/walk toggle.

Stealth is a thing but it wasn't implemented well, which I expected for a mobile game. It's best to just plow through every enemy since they all go down in 2 hits and don't call nearby reinforcements. Some objectives however do require you to maintain incognito.

They tried to jam every mission type into Identity since that's all you really do to grind for the most epic of items with ideal rolls ala Diablo. It would have been perfectly fine if the gameplay was better.

Rather hard for me to recommend but if you're really dying for some AC action on the go, albeit subpar and requiring internet, then this may be what you're looking for. For the curious, I've had 2 crashes so far on my iP6+. Probably memory leaks.

18. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #158 Jenohart, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Okay, I'm gonna risk getting banned here because TA forum rules lean towards shutting down all discussion of piracy, but I want to put forward one point of view so that it might help you or any other developers out there from seeing the opinions of someone who's seen the other side of the fence. I've noticed some trends among Android and iOS app users when it comes to piracy, and I hope this information helps in some way.

For Android, people pirate apps because cracked apps are better than buying it legit. Because of rampant piracy, many app devs put intrusive DRM on their apps like online requirements or even online verification checks it sends every so often. These even exist on apps that have iOS versions without these checks. Gameloft were the worst in this, Six Guns and Dungeon Hunter would lock you out of the app after a while and say "please connect to the internet to verify your game". But cracked apps specifically remove these online checks, so of course you would just use the cracked app instead. Additionally, whatever cracking scenes are on android are really on point. Every major app update gets cracked, different versions for different hardware, even modified installable files with inbuilt cheats, it's crazy. I don't know how to fix the Android app market. People SHOULD support developers, I'm all for that, but it's hard to really justify that to the average consumer if the pirated version has better features.

For iOS it's the opposite story, pirating apps is too damn hard. You need a jailbroken device in the first place, for many apps people don't bother cracking updates and for many others nobody bothers to crack them at all. Most of the file hosting sites for said cracked apps are dead. Nobody ever distributes cheat .ipas either, if you want to hack a game you have to figure out how yourself. You can still pirate apps, last I checked a pirate app market snuck its way onto the appstore itself. I checked it out to see if itwas real and it was, but I couldn't get anything to work. I think it involves exploiting enterprise certificates but they get revoked constantly and none of the apps would run. It doesn't even have every app on the appstore, just all the popular ones that I already own. I don't think anything needs fixing for iOS, app piracy exists but it's so much harder. It's just the chinese pirate app scene that still does anything, and they're A) Dodgy as hell and B) incredibly difficult and confusing to get to work.

For the record, I don't support app piracy. I buy all my apps and I got the receipts to prove it.

I'm just making the case here that Android and iOS are very different beasts when it comes to app piracy from an end-user standpoint, and an online-only requirement for a single player game is much harder to justify on iOS because iOS is already doing a much better job than Android of preventing it.

19. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I think this thread is becoming more about piracy than it should :)

I think we should all get back on track and just give impressions of the game. People will be reading to see how we enjoy or don't enjoy it, not really about whether we should/could pirate it. Just my opinion though.

20. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It's true that it is easy to plow through enemies, but once you get deeper into the game the best rewards come from secondary objectives where you must avoid combat or remain anonymous. You will earn up to five times more currency per mission by using stealth and other tactics. Some of these missions are tough, and that's where the skill and fun come into play.