Universal Assassin's Creed Identity (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Out in US AppStore, download size says 2.26gb, Unity engine instead of Unreal (usually meaning lower poly count character modeling, flatter textures, etc...), no impressions for the release version yet in the TA forum here... Should I take this as not a good sign? I would think the excitement of a console-like AC experience on mobile would have a little more presence here.. For a moment I really let my hopes get up about this, but the silence around actual gameplay is a little conspicuous..

I'm hoping to see some positive impressions of the current launch version in the morning to lift my spirits and convince me to smash buy button despite my massive backlog.. Fingers crossed!

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #82 stubbieoz, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Would like to know also before I tap the purchase button if online all the time is required. This is a single player game, yes?...so why?!

Anyways, Grim Dawn is finally getting it's full release today so probably wont have much time for any mobile nonsense #

3. Lochheart

Lochheart Active Member

Oct 30, 2013
    France
    Thank you ! Don't buy it until they stop this crap things.

4. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Such clever words, lol. I watched a German gameplay video of it. I'll find the link.

Edit:

5. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I'm also waiting to learn this!! Not a fan of "Online only" games if I can avoid them as I often have time to play when I'm in poor to no connectivity areas...

Additionally, when I was watching recent developer commentary in a gameplay video/interview they mentioned that they had been convinced by gaming community feedback to the early soft launch version to make the game premium instead of f2p and that they were really excited to bring a fully premium AC experience to mobile in the release version; however with coin packs up to $49.99 and absolutely no mention of this being a premium game in the AppStore description... I worry this is actually "freemium" with pay to win mechanics (buy premium currency and purchase awesome gear without advancement etc...)

I dare not hope too much..

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    No impressions cuz all we are getting item not available message
    Has anyone ever figured out why this happens to some games and not others?

7. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    It looks like a loot grind with a fancy franchise behind it. No story and the stealth mechanics that make these games so great.

I'll def be waiting for impressions before picking this up.

8. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I just tried to buy it and the AppStore said "item no longer available???

9. appgefahren.de freddy

Jan 7, 2013
    1. You need a internet connection - always.
    2. In-App-Purchases are not necessary
    3. 10 campaign levels are far to little for the start
    4. it's open world

10. Lochheart

Lochheart Active Member

Oct 30, 2013
    France
    How can they sell it premium ?
    Sorry but if I pay, Why having a internet connection always on ?

Do they understand the word mobile ? Mobility ? Moving in some area without internet ?

I really hope they make a flop.

11. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    It's on UK AppStore £3.99

12. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Is there anyone commenting on what the game is and is not who actually bought the latest version? I see a lot of people saying "internet connection required" and "no storyline", but they seem to be holding the soft-launch version on their devices.

From what I understand, the final version is NOT a ftp version. No one seems to have it because the app store says unavailable. So, everyone speaking with authority on these topics are giving us outdated information.

I'm waiting until someone can actually download the latest version before I pass judgement.

It is possible, too, that they had to delay the launch because they forgot to remove the coin iap, (since it's not ftp anymore) if that's what's freaking people out.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I'm with you Ludka I want to hear some real impressions
    if it ever comes available I'm buying it straight up so I will post here some early thoughts
    Im not waiting on impressions and if its terrible I will just get a refund

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Just played through the first mission. This is definitely a premium game. The controls and graphics are both top quality. First mission was straight forward and then there was an additional mission which was optional. Annoying to always have to be connected to the Internet, especially as my only game time is on the train to work (thank god for mifi jetpack).

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I wish I could chime in but my download's only half done and I won't be able to try the game until waaaaaaaaay later in the day (at least 8 or so hours from now), but yeah...seriously, this is yet another thread of nothing but speculation and put-downs by people who haven't even tried this version, and unless the German fellow got a pre-release copy or bought it off the Indian store, that's probably a soft-launch version too. I have no effing idea.

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Yay it's downloading
    But I'm sure it will take a while :)
    W you metal casket waiting...
    It will be another 6 hours before I can really try it out other than maybe a 5 min quick play here and there.
    Why I was wishing it would've started downloading a couple hours ago then I couldn't got a good play in. I figured it would wait until I couldn't play it :)

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #97 curtisrshideler, Feb 25, 2016
    Pulled the same thing with Assassin's Creed Pirates. It's a F2P game with a price upfront for now. It'll probably go F2P eventually and they'll add even more IAP. It's too bad. It seems the addition of IAP to the App Store really hindered this franchise. Imagine this game, but longer and without currency/item IAP, and without needing a constant internet connection. Makes me miss playing that old Gameloft AC game. Think I'll redownload that instead, for now.
    EDIT: Well, looks like iOS 8.4.1 killed that old AC game, unfortunately. Wish I could pay to still be able to play that Gameloft premium AC game.

18. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I held no such soft-launch version, I'm a new potential customer who was JUST ABOUT to press the Buy button until I heard about the game requiring a constant internet connection just to play. Going this route with a purported open-world single player game is a quick way to lose a customer. If they update the game allowing both ONLINE and OFFLINE play (even as an IAP [Hey Ubi, wanna make an actual worthwhile IAP that would net you some extra MONEY?? Well, try this on for size!]), I'll buy it in a heartbeat!

19. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    #99 Warriv, Feb 25, 2016
    Yeah, after playing for a little while, I'm a bit divided. It was obviously built as a f2p, and you can spend money to buy coins. There's a second currency, but I haven't gotten to it yet, and it doesn't seem like you can buy it. You can watch movies to get "mistery boxes", and if you open five in a row, you get an extra item. A bit sad, really.

The graphics are ok, nothing groundbreaking, and at least so far, there's no free-roaming. The story is told via codex, and I've enjoyed what I read so far. Loot comes as reward for completing campaign missions, or contracts.

You create your assassin, but all you do really, is choose a class and a face, and that's it. Items don't change the appearance of your assassin, and the inventory seems to have a 20 item limit.

You gain skill points for completing missions, which you can then spend to unlock new abilities on a skill tree. There's also a forge, and blueprints, but once again, I haven't reached that point as well. It seems like everything will require some heavy grinding eventually, but that remains to be seen.

The movement is a bit clunky, and you can't run and jump, which makes it much slower to traverse rooftops, since you kinda have to get near the edge and manually aim your jump (EDIT: ignore this, you -can- run and jump). The assassination animations could've used a bit more love, as they don't always match the positions of the bodies, and some clipping ensues. I've been playing with an mfi controller, so I can't judge the touch controls.

Sound effects, once again, needed more love, and there's no way to manually adjust the audio levels.

Online connection is required, which also adds a lot of small loadings when your connection is not strong enough.

All in all, it seems like an average game right? However, I did enjoy the time I've spent with it, and I do want to play more.

If I were to rate it, I'd like to give it four stars, but the online-only is unnecessary and drops the rating to three. It's still a bit too early to rate though, at least for me, and I'm sure you'll eventually have plenty of detailed reviews, but these are my initial impressions so far, and hopefully, they'll be helpful to someone :)

Edit: I'm playing on a mini 2, latest os, and the game plays flawlessly so far.

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I think it's a good complaint for those that don't have a good connection
    And I understand that
    I always have a good connection and unlimited data so it doesn't matter to me but I wouldn't buy it either it I didn't have a good connection which does bring up a good point, why chase off tons of potential customers with needed a good connection, that doesn't make good business sense. I too bought pirates right away and was pissed when it went FTP and hoping against the odds that doesn't happen here.