iPad Asphault 4 update

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nexus-6, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Nexus-6

Nexus-6 Member

Oct 21, 2008
    So, I was pretty excited to see the update pop up on my 3G yesterday. I promptly downloaded, restarted the phone, and fired it up. They fixed the god-awful tire squealing! But... the steering! It was glitchy and too sensitive before, but now it almost the opposite- sluggish and unresponsive. It's almost completely unplayable. I've been frustrated with this $9.99 purchase from the get-go. I've tried to give it a chance, but the controls are just plain broken, and sadly this update didn't help the situation. Has anyone else had issues? Apparently the 2.1 iPhone update caused a lot of problems with the game.

2. Hmmm. I know what you mean. I was trying to turn it so much it actually thought I wanted to play in portrait mode and changed the view, so I was driving with everything on it's side for a few seconds! I don't know. Perhaps we just need to get used to the new control.
    I know the upgrading has changed- we are now asked if we want to pay for upgrades. The loading bar has changed to a red line. And of course as you said, the sound effects have been fixed (finally!!).
    I'm going to play it a few more times- maybe I will get used to it.

3. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #3 BrettArchibald, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    What??? :confused:

EDIT:
    Oh wait, you mean upgrades of car-parts within the game — not whether we want to pay to upgrade the game itself, right?
    :eek:

4. Haha! Sorry, should have made myself clear there.

5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the controls have changed. Before the update Asphalt was playable for me, but the controls were too sensitive. I had to concentrate very much :). Now the controls are less sensitive, which results in tilting the iPhone around heavily while steering. This makes the game totally unplayable. Gameloft has broken it.

It can't be so complicated to let US set the level of sensitivity. Other games manage this perfectly.

6. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    That really makes me sad. :( I loved Ashalt before.. I installed the update but haven't had time to play it. WHY would they ruin it?! :(

7. Got to be honest, my suspicions were correct- after a few plays I have gotten used to the steering again and find it ok. It's still not the best control ever (and I would still like a sensitivity option), but it is ok. Not better, not worse. That's my opinion anyway.

8. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

#8 Gregz0r, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    NAMCO's [app]Pole Position: Remix[/app] is a simple arcade racer, but IMO, it has the best control options for any iPhone racer, particularly the finger slide steering option (not to be confused with the steering wheel option).
    A lot of racers could benefit from this control method, instead of the tilt controls, which just hack me off(ignore the steering wheel option too). :mad:
    Asphalt 4 is a good game, with a lot of depth, but the graphics still scream "cell phone", rather than "console" to me. I'm eagerly awaiting videos of Need For Speed Undercover, which looks like it could be a proper, bona-fide console game.

9. gray mouser

gray mouser Active Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Asphalt has a steering wheel option too.

10. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Need for Speed might change things soon, but for right now Asphalt seems untouchable as far as racing games go. I've been very happy with it.

The new controls are tough to get used to, but I actually think they're a bit more fun. The game got kind of easy pretty fast. The new controls seem make steering a little more frantic feeling. They're not more difficult or annoying, but it adds a little more difficulty i think having to turn the phone so far on it's side.

11. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I played the update last night and after awhile you get used to the new steering, np.

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Update was great, but still needs Internet wide multiplayer and a difficulty option to make it harder.... I don't feel any difference in the controls. however.