Apple TV Asphalt 8

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by musicalmac, Dec 28, 2015.

1. musicalmac

musicalmac Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    In recent months, Gameloft has been much stingier with their game offerings, and games like Modern Combat 5 and Dungeon Hunter 5 have been let-downs with timers, removing larger game worlds, and other such roadblocks to a good time.

BUT, credit should be given where credit is due. Asphalt 8 is an incredible amount of fun. The gameplay transitioned perfectly over to the Apple TV and it works wonderfully with my Nimbus controller. I've just made it into Chapter (or season?) 2 and I'm looking forward to playing more.

Anyone else enjoying this particular title?

2. wtphug

wtphug Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I agree. This was actually the first game I fired up after hooking up the ATV, which I got on day one. I am still enjoying it very much it. Controls wonderfully using the remote, and is a great deal of fun. Asphalt 8 and Alto's Adventure are currently my two daily go-to games on the ATV.

3. zigadolar

zigadolar Member

Apr 15, 2015
    iOS developer
    Berlin, Germany
    I have to agree about Asphalt 8. It is pretty much the only game I play on my Apple TV and I think it's one of those occasions where it works the best. I feel like the Apple TV and the remote were made for games like that. It feels so natural to "steer" with it. Also, the sheer amount of content it offers is amazing. Really one of the best, if not the best game on the platform currently.

I've got to Season 5 so far, but I haven't played it in weeks. Once you get up to the higher ranking cars, it gets harder to win, since there is a huge difference between an entry level car in a group, and the higher end ones.

4. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    can nimbus controller sensitivity be adjusted?

5. musicalmac

musicalmac Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    I don't think so, but I haven't looked too hard. I wouldn't want to change it though. I play Asphalt with the Nimbus, and it's out-freakin'-standing. I played it again until 1:30AM last night, then got up and cleared snow from my sidewalks and driveways all morning (WI got hit hard last night :eek::eek::eek: )

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I've played this game to point where it it's not funny anymore.

7. musicalmac

musicalmac Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Reading comments like this makes me hopeful that Apple has Game Center expansion plans. It would be nice to see some of the more Steam-like capabilities wrapped into Game Center. For example, it would be very handy to have chat functionality (voice and text) and timers (so we could see how long we've played it).

Right now, there aren't a whole lot of reasons to spend much time in the app...

8. swoop

swoop Member

Oct 4, 2015
    IT Consultant
    Brussels
    Asphalt 8 is the most playable game on AppleTV right now. It's easy to get engaged even for the most casual gamer, and support of MFi controllers is great. Even the inapps are not so intruding.

It has many flaws (see right below), but somehow it has great gameplay.
    - framerate sucks (give me at least 30fps stable, not that jerky crap)
    - drift tracks are just impossible to pass with 3 stars
    - you will give in to inapps eventualy

A8 is one of the games that came on aTV and do not feel completely "coitus-interuptus" (excuse mu Latin) despite the free-model. The rest (GT Spirit or NFS on ipad) are frustrating short-play waste.