Universal Ashworld (By Orange Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Dec 6, 2017.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No. =o)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What do you do at night if you’re in a hideout or location without a bed ? You don’t just wait for the clock to get to 7am do you ?

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You can craft campfires, which give you the option to sleep...
    You're able to place them wherever you like. Even inside of buildings that don't have a bed.

=)

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ahhh getchs. Cheers.

What are those creatures in the platform areas, the ones which look like they have 3 eyes ? Seem safe but if you kill them a small critter runs out

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =X
    I thought they were a sort of egg sack. Hit them until they break and a little creature will pop out that you'll have to kill/can harvest for meat if they wind up giving you an option to search their corpse.
    =P

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks I thought so. Lots of nice little touches in the game to make it seem like some huge world. Love the platforming sections as well. You know Pascal will be fixing any issues in updates.

7. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

Looked into the inventory thing, and figured out what's going on.
    Basically your backpack is full.. There are 256 slots of inventory, but even tho the inventory screen groups stuff, every item is an item! So having 10 empty bottles, means 10 slots.

There are two ways I can fix this, one:
    - make more inventory slots, but this most likely means saved games won't be usable (altho I might have another idea)
    - 2nd option, keep it like it is, but add the message "backpack full!" making it an interesting choice: do you dump stuff, to grab new stuff or keep what you have (but then also requires adding an option to dump stuff in the inventory!)

so, I'm on it, just looking into the best solution ;)

8. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    If you’re going to go with the second option, you’ve got to make a way to manually drop stuff, and have it be a quick easy thing to do. Or, have it so things like batteries and mission items don’t have an inventory cap. I don’t mind always kind of running out of ammo during battles. It’s fun and manic and requires quick little strategy changes. It’s one of the core fun things for me. But I’ve been kicking around all day trying to collect batteries for the com stations, and I just realized they’re not being registered. That’s a bummer.

I’d say maybe just find a higher main inventory cap, I don’t think it’ll be a problem because as it is now, you crank through ammo pretty fast.

Other quick notes on this otherwise super fun little game:

Flaming boomerang and torch make you totally invincible. It’s awesome to run through the desert at night, melting skeletons and accidentally lighting campfires.

If you want to stock up on machine gun ammo, just keep walking in and out of scrap stores and keep buying it. Makes for some satisfying desert mow downs.

I personally would like some cool melee stuff, a al Death Road.

Thanks again, Dude.

9. orangepascal

Right now I am testing a middle-solution:
    1- backpack is made bigger (running into the limit now requires a lot of scavenging!)
    2- but still added a way to dump both "junk" and "ammo" for those that want to clean up their inventories
    (and added "ammo" overview to the inventory screen)

also in the current appstore version you can try crafting to get rid of items (since you need more junk-items to create 1 new item)

10. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #110 Ghostdog1, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Does crafting work now for everyone? On my ipad air with ios 10 crafting still doesn't work. I tried the 1.4 version. At the beginning of the game is all crossed out. But once i scavanged some items i am able to craft, nothing happens as a result. Whatever i click in the crafting menu, it brings me back to my inventory and nothing is added.

Oh, just read the 256 slot confusion. Maybe that was the problem. Can it be that every machinegun bullet counts as one slot? Same with the gas? So having 120 bullets and 130 gas means im near to having a full backpack? IMO the slot design is really bad. And im happy you are going to change it.

11. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Dude, you’ve got to be able to train that dog to grab loose ammo and kill things. I’m out of things to upgrade and don’t really see any sense of progression. Not to say I haven’t gotten my 2.99’s worth of amusement. Just a thought.

Also, I caught that one of my suggested lines is in there.
    Woohoo!

12. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm digging your game. But what's new, I've pretty much bought your last four games.
    Anywwy, there's one concern that I have though. When my left thumb is utilizing the touchscreen d-pad, I keep opening the inventory menu. Can you possibly make the inventory button customizable? I'd like to move it up, so I don't keep accidentally opening it. Other that, I'm really liking this game. Keep up the excellent work.

13. HippoHumper

HippoHumper Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Sorry if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find it scrolling through the thread but how do I add gas to my car? I've got a lot of gas and I'm standing next to my empty car and have no idea how to fill her up.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    There should be some text bottom left saying add fuel once you select the car

Then when you do that, select the vehicle again and you should be able to enter the car as the text bottom left will now say enter car

15. aricall

aricall Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tattooist
    Why not just make multiples of items stack in slots in the backpack?

16. orangepascal

honestly? I have no idea why I originally decided this was a better solution !
    It was actually more programming work to handle the inventory as it is right now, so there must have been some idea behind it, but I can't figure out what I was thinking back then! :D

but a fix is on the way, and the fun part is that it adds room for 2 more skills you can acquire ("backpacker" and "backpacker pro")

17. orangepascal

#117 orangepascal, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Looking for a few brave men/women for testing the next update.

You need to be brave, because basically there is a small (very small, but still) chance your current save-game get's corrupted ! so that's what I want to test, to make sure that doesn't happen ;)

if you are interested, pm me with your email address and I'll add you to testflight !

to clarify: you do need to already own a copy of the game, and have an active continue/save-game file to test!

18. orangepascal

Update v1.5.0 is coming:

The main feature: bigger backpack!
    and also two new skills you can learn to expand that inventory space even more!

Also some more balancing tweaks (mostly ammo-drop rate increase). The full list of changes:

fix: increase in inventory slots – fixes bug of items not showing up/ammo being “gone”
    fix: boomerang and firerang usage now works correctly (with regards to wear-and-tear when throwing them)
    fix: crab-ooze mission didn’t remove itself from the map
    add: added a “dump” option to junk in inventory, to create room
    add: inventory now shows “available” percentage for your backpack
    add: new “Backpack” skill (increase size of inventory backpack)
    add: new “Backpack pro” skill (increases size to max)
    add: make inventory+map buttons moveable (touch)
    balance: increased drop-rate on ammo
    balance: increased ammo on dead-bodies (if learned retrieval skills)
    balance: made Firerang less destructive (now only when you throw it)
    balance: made the sand-crab slightly easier to defeat

Currently awaiting Apple's approval, so hopefully it will land before the weekend!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great stuff Pascal. More i play this the more i love it. Very addictive ! Thanks again

20. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Update sounds good but I’m gonna hold off cause I like the fire boomerangs the way it is now just killin stuff indefinitely I don’t even have to throw it. Just gotta watch out for those flaming barrels cause they blow up lol