Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    #81 dacool561, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    Huge board gamer here (290 board games and rising!) and I have to say that Ascension and Thunderstone are my 2 favorite deck building games. Dominion didn't really do it for me.

This is by far the quickest and one of the simplest in the deck-building family of games. I can't speak for the App yet, but I just purchased the new Ascension Return of the Fallen expansion and am still loving the game. I plan on purchasing this app soon once I can get some more funds =).

As long as the controls are well implemented then this game should be a must have for CCG or deck-builder game lovers :)

If you guys want a review of the board game then you can watch the video here at the link below. It will give you a basic understanding of the game and how it plays for those of you who want some more information about this game.
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/2706/ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer/drakkenstrikes-ascension-components-breakdown-vide

2. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Will it? I stopped watching Drakkenstrike's reviews when it turned out that most of them were just a look at the components, not an overview of the gameplay. That and the guy's monotone ... Jesus wept.

I guess I could find out for myself, but I'll ask anyway: does he actually talk about playing Ascension in this video? Or is just "look at the pretty cards"?

3. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Has anyone managed to play online yet? It crashes on both my iPhone and my iPad

4. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Yah, I can connect and join games on my iPhone4. Not sure what to tell you :(

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Sorry, you got me a bit wrong... ;)

I was partially refering to the board game - where you have no log and have to use your brains instead.

6. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Dammit, it's crashing on both my iPhone 4 AND my iPad. Both with latest firmware, neither jailbroken. Guess I'll be asking for my first refund ever in the AppStore (I bought it specifically to play online).

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #87 eev, Jun 30, 2011
    is it possible to see what kind of constructs opps have? also again some funny things with mana count. and there is of course the log, but ui needs to be improved, like option to confirm enemies plays by tapping.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I would wait a bit if I were you.
    I had a lot of problems with new games and iOS 4.3.3 lately. It's not the games, it's the iOS what's wrong.

9. chris19h

chris19h New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    #89 chris19h, Jun 30, 2011
    I just downloaded on a Verizon iPhone 4. Game works great in offline play. However I cant even get to the online play screen. The button is just grayed out. I have tried restarting phone, have tried re installing app, nothing gets it too work.

Has anyone with a verizon iPhone 4 been able to play online?

10. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I haven't found a problem with mana count... it's likely there are cards modifying things that you aren't aware of... the opp. constructs for one. In order to see the constructs for another player, just tap on the symbol by the opponents name. It looks a bit like a little sun. The easiest way to see what I am talking about would be look at the last page of the rulebook in the app itself... it wouldn't hurt to look at all the pages before the last one also ;)

11. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Not had a problem playing online and I'm using an iPhone 4 with latest firmware

12. ChromaTick

ChromaTick Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I'm a fan of Dominion, Thunderstone, and Nightfall (my favorite of the three), but had never played Ascension. It seemed like a no brainer to pick this up for $5 considering the level of polish and all that was offered (A.I., live and asynch multi). I'm really enjoying it. The only thing I can think of at this point that would be nice to have is a stats area that shows how many games you've played and win/loss (something like Carcassonne has). Excellent app though!

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    thanks, reading is definitely good. :)

14. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks for the link for the manual appreciate it.

15. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Every single one of my friends managed do play online just fine. I'm the only one experiencing a crash when I tap "play online" :(

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

The game is pretty fun and now I get the whole "customizing your deck" aspect much better having played the tutorial.

Your goal is to end the game with more honor than your opponent. At every point in the game any honor is gained in game it comes from the commnal pool of 60 points. Once all 60 points have been distributed between the two players the game ends and at this point all of the honor values from the cards in your game created deck are added in and the player with the highest total honor (honor gathered from actions in game + honor from personal deck) wins.

Gameplay consists of playing cards from your hand to acquire Runes and Power. If you can gather up enough runes to buy one of the cards in the center row it is immediately added to your discard pile (a weird way to ensure you can't actually use the card until you run through your current deck and then hope it comes up at the right moment in the future). On the other hand if by playing cards from your current hand you can build up enough Power, you can defeat beasties in the central row which aren't added to your hand but give you some cool immediate effects like Honor points or possibly other handy side effects. Defeated monsters go into the Void (just a fancy term for the communal discard pile, and not your own deck's discard pile). Sometimes cards in the central row or the player's hand can be sent into the Void directly without actually being defeated, but cards sacrificed this way do not gain the banishing player any sort of a reward.

Realize that there is never any cost to play cards from your hand and that you are free to play all of them each turn (they're primarily just resources to acquire or defeat the cards in the central row). The majority of the cards in the game are Hero cards that just grant you some effect for that turn and are then put into your discard pile. At the end of your turn all all played heroes and any cards remaining unplayed in your hand are tossed into your personal discard pile to not be seen again until they're redrawn the next time you reshuffle your deck. Not to worry, though, at the start of your next turn you'll get a fresh new hand. Since your initial deck only has 10 cards, you'll be whizzing through the decks in no time, well at least until you build them up a bit with new recruits. The other type of card are known as Constructions which, unlike Heroes, persist from turn to turn granting the player handy bonuses until removed (usually through some devious effect from your opponent).

This is far from a complete explanation of the game but I hope gives you a gist of what to expect.

17. Agitator Academia

Agitator Academia Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Ok. Bad enough you guys mentioned Dominion. (a game I can even get my wife to play with me, and beat the crap outta me as well!) Then you said Asynch-multiplayer?!

Sold.

Also addicted to Carcassonne.

Sign me up.

Gamecenter - Polixenes

18. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Got a question .

Say ... If I don't like to take 30 mins just to read and understand the instructions , how long does the tutorial in this game take ? Considering the fact that I'm new to this genre . Well I've played card games like yu gi oh in real life and I can grasps those easily . Is this game anything like that (I've read from others that this game isn't about destroying their cards but getting more honor)? Or is SE or orions like that ? I have SE downloaded , the instructions are just very off putting so I haven't really tried it .

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    If you've played Yu-gi-oh! Then this will be a pice of cake. The tutorial is also very easy to follow. This game is simple but deep, not nearly as complex as a regular CCG.

20. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Alright then , I'll get it .

Could you expand more on regular CCG ? You mean like shadow era ?