Universal Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer [Dreamscape expansion]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Artfoundry, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    #4201 ZS77, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Playdek account name is Daedalus77

Bundle expansion bought. I'll send you guys an invite later!

@Artfoundry - just realised you didn't give me your ID but I took a stab at guessing and sent you a friend request anyway. Let me know if I got it right! #

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just to help suck more time away from your life, you could look into: Lost Portal, dream quest (look past the graphics), shadow era, orions 2, Spellcraft. And what about more Playdek stuff, like summoner wars and nightfall. Acension is just quality and will always be towards the top of any card list.

Oh, and Pathfinder Adventures - is just plain epic.

3. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions. Again, in order:

Lost Portal - been on that little beauty since shortly after release. Very good game in its own right, made even better by an attentive and creative solo developer. The 'glitz' may not be on a par with some of these f2p titles that have whole teams of developers behind it but for one guy, it's incredible. Nailed it with the premium approach and love the deck building/crafting/character development elements too. Artwork is top notch too. Very highly rated in my book.

Dream Quest - the art style is an 'acquired' taste but the gameplay behind it can't be faulted. Again, an excellent labour of Iove from a solo developer....even if it looked like my 9yr old did all the artwork!

Shadow Era - tried it very early on but before I really got my head around CCG's etc. I think the f2p thing also put me off. Will re-download and give it a second chance.

Spellcraft - same as above really. Re-downloading now for second opinion.

Orions 2 - found it on App Store but never played it. Looks good but graphically dated by today's standards. Mind you, mustn't judge a book and all that.....yes, I'm looking at you Dream Quest!

Summoner Wars - played a few years ago but not since. Seem to remember liking it but got bored of just playing AI I think. Will give it another shot.

Nightfall - tried it, a few times. Just didn't click with me though. Funnily enough, gave it one more go last night but it didn't stay on my phone for long.

I know they're not quite the same but also trying Puzzle Strike and Yomi at the moment. Both are very good. Still getting my head around Puzzle Strike and Yomi is....different - good - but not sure, can't quite put my finger on it with that one.

So again, thanks for the suggestions - I'm inclined to agree though, Ascension is by far the most enjoyable.....although, having tried Shadowverse as recommend by Artfoundry, I'm very impressed with the gameplay and the enticement of a solid single player campaign. Think that one will be staying on my devices for a while....just hope I don't hit a nasty pay wall too far in. Thanks for the recommendation Artfoundry!

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #4204 currymutton, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Here are the boardgames/card games I play

Tickets to Ride but strictly old, discontinued Europe version. The new version has very stupid online design which forces the app to remain until somebody joins you.

Lost Cities: clever maths-based game from Knizia, simple and fun. But the GC is currently down on me so I cannot play it for the time being

Another fun strategy board game which War of the Roses, which is also hit by the GC problem.

I am surprised nobody seems to mention Carcassone! It is another great, if not the greatest, boardgame port on iOS

Any of course, Twilight Struggle, which is also from Playdek. It is not too hard to pickup, but if you want to win, you need to dig it a lot.

Brass is another great one but I have yet to find time to dig it

If co-op is your thing, Forbidden Island and the latest Forbidden Desert, not to mention the popular Pandemic: the board game should have been in your collection

The lighter play: Patchwork, Le Havre: the Inland Port are easy to pick up, beautiful and have online play. I read the upcoming "Argicola: creatures large and small and where to find them" (oops, that "where to find them" part is definitely a typo) are in the same vein.

Oh, I think I have missed is Ortus Regni, which is beautiful and is quite unique in game play but if you have a good understanding of MtG, it is not that hard to grasp. Do I mention that it is free, with absolutely no IAP?

I read good stuff about Shadowverse but I am not in yet.

Oh, may be I ask Curry and Mutton to do a long-overdue review on Ascension, but I am afraid both are currently too tied-up by Twilight Struggle and Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions - Ortus Regni is a new one on me but have tried most of the others at one time or another. Broadly speaking, I didn't get on with most of them for one reason or another - and whilst it shouldn't be an overriding reason not to play a 'good' game, the context/setting for most of them really didn't spark my imagination. I like my board games/CCG's set in otherworldly environments, adds to the fantasy of it.

6. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I stopped receiving push notifications about my turns. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

7. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yep, your post made me realize I too haven't received any notifications for the past day or so.

On another note, I just noticed today marks five years ago I discovered and started playing this amazing game. Very rarely has a day gone by that I haven't played. And I own nearly every physical version as well. Here's to another five... #

8. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    And now I can't even connect to the server. I can still connect to the Playtek server for Twilight Struggle, but not this game.

Ascension, don't cheat me out of a rare opportunity to beat tecwrtr!

9. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    #4209 TicTac, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    I can't log in either. Maybe they're testing their servers to prepare for a new expansion :) Playdek released their new game last week afterall.

@artfoundry I also bought 1 of the sets because of the mobile version.

edit: what's up with the numbering of this thread? I keep having to click back a couple of pages to find the latest post.

10. nenastya

nenastya Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Female
    Russia
    I hope this is because of a new expansion too :) my evening is so boring without Ascension...

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Finally got round to playing a couple of games with the first 2 expansions last night....

....oh. my. word.....how much better is this game with the added decks and the Event mechanic! Such a simple addition creates loads more depth and it feels like a completely refreshed experience for me. I'm loving it. I wasn't sure whether I'd stump up for the extra separate expansions/dlc thinking that it wouldn't engage me long enough to warrant the cost.....not a chance, worth every penny.

12. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yep :)
    And every two expansions or so, the new mechanics change considerably.

Notifications seem to be working again - I'm guessing that's why the server was down for a bit.

TicTac, I think it's because when posts are deleted the page numbering doesn't adjust. Just a guess though.

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
  14. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    That looks awesome. The light/dark will add a real tug of war element to gameplay if players choose opposite sides...

....may not work so well if everyone goes to the light/dark side though. It'll play out more like a normal game as neither side will see an advantage.

Still, fun mechanic in principle and look forward to seeing it as dlc soon!

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Just wondering which expansions/promo cards you guys select when you play online - being new to it, I'm not sure if I'm just meant to select everything when creating/searching for games or is that a bit of 'newb' thing to do?

Should I be more au fait with the intricacies of each expansion and only select packs that complement each other or avoid packs that 'seasoned' players don't rate?

I've only unlocked the first 3 expansions so far and they all seem to work together quite well - do the later expansions restrict the ability to play with earlier ones?

16. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Duplicate sorry

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I creat games with only 2 or 3 expansion when playing online. They thing I don't like about playing with all the expansions at once is the center deck has over 1000 cards in it. The different games that each expansion creates is lost or at least very watered down.

That being said I still join games with all expansions as even watered down the game is still great.

18. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Wow, +1000 cards - hadn't realised there were so many! That's a very good point - I can see how it would easily dilute the various gameplay nuances. Might need to get my head around the different 'modes' a bit more then so I can make educated choices on how the game will play rather than relying on random/total selection.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm a big fan of playing with ALL but admit it leads to a lot of chaos and no reliable mechanics. I laugh at the concept of ever trying to play with all expansions in real life (it would require a draw deck a foot high or more).

20. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Scheduled maintenance is taking some time.

On a different note, recently noticed I've played over 6000 online games. It's incredible the amount of time I've put into this game while only paying for new decks. Playdek should be praised for not going over the top with IAPs or ads. Although at this point I honestly wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee of 99c to keep online servers going forever plus keeping the game updated.